1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stafford talks about Jeff Heath and Cowboys Defense in Sound FX'

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hot_Toddy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hot_Toddy

Hot_Toddy Active Member

312 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    For those who can watch it:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000273946/Sound-FX-Matthew-Stafford

For those of you who can't watch it....Here's a partial transcript I put together:

Stafford **in near amazement** talking to Calvin Johnson (regarding Jeff Heath running down Calvin Johnson and pushing him out at the two-yard line):

Stafford, "Who caught you, who caught you?"

Calvin, "I don't know, I don't know...."

Stafford, " Shawn said whoever caught you needs to get his own Speed commercial."

Lions position coach showing in-game photo:

"I told you there was going to be a lot of air on this defense. Look, that's going to be there all day now."

[Note: Unless I'm missing it after the re-watch/transcript type - It seems this portion was edited out and/or replaced. It's quoted the best that I remember it after the first watch. The photo had two drawn deep-route lines towards the middle/mid-left of our Defense to the best of my recollection].

Stafford during final drive:

Stafford, "Let's go we gotta hall *tail* down the middle of the field."

Stafford talking about Cowboys Defense after his dive-in touchdown"

Stafford, "I was reading them, I was reading them. If they were coming I was just going to spike it. But they were like this [Stafford poses into a zombie-type slump showing what our D players were doing]. "So I was like...gimme that."

Quick takes after watching this:

Jeff Heath has great football speed. I really like this kid. He's smart and always in position. After watching that play again, Heath turned on his own afterburners chasing down CJ.

It seemed to me that the lions really liked their chances regarding passing deep down the middle of our Defense.

Sean Lee sounded like a hurricane in the mic when he intercepted Stafford and blew by him.
    CowboyMcCoy, cowboyschmps3 and EPL0c0 like this.
  2. Hot_Toddy

Hot_Toddy Active Member

312 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  3. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,375 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Jeff Heath looked like the fastest guy in our secondary on that play. Funny that some were worried if he had enough closing speed. He does, no question. It was amazing. It was equally disturbing to see how slow Claiborne looked on that play.
  4. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,819 Messages
    1,584 Likes Received
    Heath > Matt Johnson
    khiladi likes this.
  5. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,215 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    When will we ever have a stout d again?
    khiladi likes this.
  6. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I thought Heath played a great game. Everytime he tackled someone he was going for the strip and seemed like he could develop into a good safety.
    JPostSam likes this.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    He might really be. It's not like any of our other guys, even the corners, have great speed.

Like a lot of people, I was pretty impressed with Heath. Sounds weird for a game when we gave up so many yards, but I thought he showed something.
  8. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,245 Messages
    5,489 Likes Received
    Hard to figure how you can find a bright spot when your secondary was ripped to shreds, but I came away impressed as well for some reason.
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,785 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    I'm starting to think the combo of JJWilcox and his speed along with Heath's speed would, once they gain on field smarts would be a nice combo. Wilcox is more of a SS anyway.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,038 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    Heath can cover. His problem is tackling.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  11. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,795 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I think Heath is our fastest safety and can really fly back there
  12. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,795 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I don't think his problem is tackling
    Nirvana likes this.
  13. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

716 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    When we change back to a 3 - 4 defense, then adjust our draft philosophy to suit those needs, then fire our 3 - 4 defensive coach, change our scheme to a 4 - 3 and then adjust our personnel moves to suit that defensive alignment. Oh, wait a minute...
    djmajestik and pacboyX like this.
  14. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

804 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    When everyone is healthy maybe we use Wilcox and Heath as the safeties in the nickle.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    Well the speed of that one play was amazing.
    There were also a couple of other players where I was saying who is 38 and then seeing it was Heath.
    When it is a guy most have not seen play and he makes a play we perk up.

Sadly he was the only one in the secondary that stood out...for something good.
    Zman5 and WoodysGirl like this.
  16. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    It's certainly not a bad idea.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,038 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received

It was in the Pre-season. WE got gashed for big runs several times because of him.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,540 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    I would think that that's the long term plan. With his deficincies in coverage, Church is not an every down safety.
  19. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,038 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    My God our defense sucks historically bad. It's so embarrassing.
    Smith22 likes this.
  20. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I love Jeff Heath. He certainly has the tangibles to be a great one. If he can become a student of the game we might have something here.