1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Standing O...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, May 3, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,898 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Interesting...

[youtube]_VAfJyzN3ak[/youtube]
  2. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,793 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Not surprised,Trick.

You know,I've also noticed the difference between salutes the commander in chief gives to the marine at the foot of the steps of marine one,and air force one. When Bush returned the marines salute,it was sharp and crisp. When Obama salutes,and that's when,cause I've seen film of him going up to the marine and instead of returning the salute,reach out his hand to shake the marines hand,it's a rather sloppy salute that sorta reminds me of a wave. Sorta like the kind of salute you would expect from Hawkeye Pierce or Trapper John in Mash.
  3. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,724 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    If you stand quik enough...and long enough....you get to ask an "enchantment" type of question......
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,100 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    Check out that Swagga!

The circumstances seem a bit different, Obama's video looks like he was announced as he entered and Bush seemed to just show up out of nowhere.

They should have shown Bush more respect, but I'm sure somehow this is a condemnation against Obama.

I love how the guy close to the camera looks like he's about to stand up for a second, sees no one else is, adjusts his glasses and stays seated.
  5. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,776 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I'd have to see more of the context of the Bush incident. It could be something like he had already spoken to them earlier in the session then left and came back again, in which case there would be no need to stand.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Or maybe after years of having them stand he was polite enough to ask them not to when he enters.
  7. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Or maybe the media doesn't even try to hide their bias like the used to......

Maybe, just maybe, they don't give a crap anymore and just show their true colors, and are saying "that's right, we're uber-libs", and until YOU get on board, we'll just call you a bunch of "tea baggers"............

Maybe, just maybe, thats the answer................
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Is this what you want the reason to be?

Would it irk you if there was nothing political about it?
  9. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    [youtube]ZZkKTTZuxO8[/youtube]

Long, LONG clip but what we are looking for is in the 1st 20 seconds.
  10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,283 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    The half ***** attempts to stand up by some of the reporters? Is that what we're looking for?
  11. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    So now were gonna argue the degree of the standing?

When the "they didn't stand" angle failed we have to move on to how much they were actually standing?
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ::sigh::

I know that you don't like the guy, but come on.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Frankly if you are going to return a salute you should learn how to do it RIGHT. Or don't bother= doing a sloppy salute is an insult to them.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,100 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    You didn't know? The guy TOTALLY hates America.
  15. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've never been in the Military, have you. Hell, most Officers have no idea how to salute. It was a joke to us, we never took offense because some civie couldn't salute.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    You miss the point. You were not the commander in chief.
    Just because you treat it as a joke does not make it right.
  17. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, I think it flew completely over your head. Us soldiers understand and know that a civilian doesn't know how to salute. Some of their Salutes are actually quite funny. I had a commander that couldn't salute for the life of him, he never heard the end of it.

burm, you remind me of individuals I had met while I served. The ones that acted like they served, yet they just leached onto the military because of the money. BTW...what does NBC stand for again?? LMAO.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,100 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    How on earth is that your response to someone that was actually in the military?
  19. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,095 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but the bolded part is pretty big over exaggeration. The reality is that officers have to salute virtually every soldier they pass in the streets. Say you are a Captain then you obviously salute all Majors and above. All 1st Lieutenants and below must salute you. Whereas it is conceivable for an enlisted person to walk around most of the day and only having to render a few salutes.

So in essence the salutes can at times be very "casual" and not true to prescribed form, but I think it is a bit much to say most officers have no idea how to salute.
  20. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,793 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Nuclear..Biological..Chemical. That what you looking for? I was in the service,in a combat zone. A civilian in that position of power,as "us" soldiers commander-in-chief, should learn to salute correctly. It's a sign of respect to those who serve under you,not some sloppy half hearted acknowledgement.