1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stanford researchers' cooling glove 'better than steroids'

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by rkell87, Sep 6, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    But the glove's effects on athletic performance didn't become apparent until the researchers began using the glove to cool a member of the lab – the confessed "gym rat" and frequent coauthor Vinh Cao – between sets of pull-ups. The glove seemed to nearly erase his muscle fatigue; after multiple rounds, cooling allowed him to do just as many pull-ups as he did the first time around. So the researchers started cooling him after every other set of pull-ups.

"Then in the next six weeks he went from doing 180 pull-ups total to over 620," said Heller. "That was a rate of physical performance improvement that was just unprecedented."

The researchers applied the cooling method to other types of exercise – bench press, running, cycling. In every case, rates of gain in recovery were dramatic, without any evidence of the body being damaged by overwork – hence the "better than steroids" claim. Versions of the glove have since been adopted by the Stanford football and track and field teams, as well as other college athletics programs, the San Francisco 49ers, the Oakland Raiders and Manchester United soccer club.

I hope we implement this device, maybe on the sideline during a time out
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,943 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    maybe the Raiders got a defective one.
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I want one of these gloves!
  4. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hah me too :D
  5. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

337 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Me three lol
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,209 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Michael Jackson had this glove back in the 1980s.
  7. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Does this explaimn the 49ers success under Harbaugh?
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Raiders must have lost theirs.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,629 Messages
    2,642 Likes Received
    I don't know if it was on one of the ultimate fighter shows or a documentary about MMA but I seen something similar to this.

They had some of the fighters do some hard core over the top training in short bursts and then they would have to jump into a tub of ice water for a few minutes.

After that they would do it again and again for a few cycles.

The guy was saying that by doing this they were getting x amount of workouts in in 1/4 the time (not sure of the ratios).
  10. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,360 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Needs moar video

[youtube]e8J6ov48rG0[/youtube]
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,919 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    From listening to the clip it sounded like it's just a simple vacuum on the palm that removes the heat from your body.
  12. jubal

jubal Member

580 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Lance used this ten or more years ago,during his championship run.
    Ice tub,works wonders.
  13. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    yeah that is the concept behind the ice tub, but this is faster and more efficient. Imagine demarcus ware going to the side lines during a tv time out and putting this on and coming back into the game feeling only as physically drained as did in the first quarter.
  14. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    also, just thinking out loud here, I wonder that if you could keep yourself perpetually cool (keeping the core temp the same no matter how much you exert yourself) if you could workout significantly longer? example, an out of shape guy runs for as long as he can and only makes it 3 miles then next week he runs as long as he can but he is wearing a (not invented yet) portable version of this glove and now he makes it 5 miles?

I think a may do an experiment with myself on my morning runs documenting how I feel after a normal run and then maybe holding, for instance, a frozen water bottle? maybe a bottle filled with dry ice? IDK yet but I'll figure something out.
  15. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Hmmm, you think they should have told someone with the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's about this?....
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,797 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
    Yeah it did.

No pictures, no link.

What's the point?
  17. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
  18. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  19. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
  20. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Different design and manufacturer probably. It operates under the same premise though.