1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

State and local governments have expanded their payrolls since recession...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    State and local governments have expanded their payrolls since recession...

US state, local government jobs up despite recession

CHICAGO, Aug 20 (Reuters) - While businesses across the United States slash jobs, state and local governments have actually increased employment slightly since the economic recession began in December 2007, according to a report released on Thursday.

"As is the typical pattern in recessions, overall state and local government employment continued to grow after the start of the recession, although there has been a small decline since the August 2008 peak," said Donald J. Boyd, author of the report by the Rockefeller Institute of Government, in a statement.

Total employment in state and local government rose in 30 states, fell in 16 and was unchanged in four during the last year, the report found.

Governments have added about 110,000 jobs since the recession began, according to the report by the Rockefeller Institute, which is the public policy research arm of the State University of New York.

The recession's impact on government employment typically lags that of the private sector, Boyd said.

"Further employment reductions are almost certainly on the way," he said.

At least 20 states have imposed unpaid furlough days on their workers to cut spending without having to resort to layoffs, according to the report.

States also have been able to avoid shedding jobs with help from the more than $36 billion for fiscal relief they have received under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the report said. (Reporting by Karen Pierog; Editing by Jan Paschal)
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    I tried to make this point with Rat the other day but it went nowhere.

These are the jobs created. Not jobs that will build our Economy. No, they are jobs that are a bigger drain on the Economy. I wonder if we will ever get it?

I honestly don't know.
  3. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    No I'm still here, but that one thread about Ridge is gone. What happened to it?
  4. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I'd rather have the government have power over me than a profit oriented corporation. At least the government has at least some interest in my well-being, however small you think that interest may be. Corporations just want your money.

And the reason why you have to have health insurance, like car insurance, is because you will inevitably use emergency care which ultimately costs tax payers more money. So your choice not to have healthcare effects everyone else.
  5. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Well, this is good news. Here in atlanta, for instance, we've been dealing with the consequences of police force cutbacks for the last couple of years. There weren't enough cops to go around before, and now there REALLY isn't when we need them most, when in-town crime is skyrocketing along with the bad economy. In Atlanta you have a lot of really rough, rundown neighborhoods right next to (and in some cases in-between and within) nice ones. A lot of us don't feel safe anymore with the decreased police presence. I don't care if these jobs are created from the stimulus bill or whatever, we'll take what we can get.
  6. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Bush wants $600 million for Iraq police, but cuts aid to U.S. cops

WASHINGTON — At the same time the Bush administration has been pushing for deep cuts in a popular crime-fighting program for states and cities, the White House has been fighting for approval of $603 million for the Iraqi police.

The White House earlier this year proposed slashing the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program, which helps local law enforcement officials deal with violent crime and serious offenders, to $200 million in the next fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1.

In 2002, the year before the Iraq war, the program received $900 million.

he administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress are headed for a showdown over the domestic money, probably next month. When the Senate last week passed the emergency Iraq war funding bill, it allotted an immediate $490 million for the domestic grants while keeping the Iraqi police funds intact.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/38672.html
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Right on cue...
  8. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Uh, so what are you getting at exactly? I suppose you like your community running on bare-minimum services?
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    There will be those who believe that the Government will take care of them better then they can take care of themselves. It's odd to me because it's not human nature. It actually goes against human nature but, still many believe this. It is the fundemental difference, IMO, between Conservatives and Liberals. Conservatives believe that they should have control over themselves and they should make their own way. Liberals believe that they should be part of a collective with Government running things because they know better.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This guy gets it...

[youtube]_rRE5UK6NQU&eurl[/youtube]
  11. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    We don't believe that. We believe things work more efficiently when people cooperate, private competition is good sometimes, but pure private competition is rather inefficient.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    get yourself one of these.

[IMG]
  13. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I'd feel a lot better with an increased police presence. A handgun in my house (which i've already got) really only helps me if I'm home to use it. I'm more worried about break-ins while i'm away and being mugged, or carjackings.