1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephan Peterman Released

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bluestang, Feb 5, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    I think Tyron Smith can play well in the NFL. Everyone knew he would take some lumps as he transitioned to the left side, but I feel he will hold down that LT spot for a decade with Dallas.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Yes, he was the first-round pick I mentioned. The only other picks we've succeeded with on the line (post JJ) were Flozell Adams and Andre Gurode, both second-round picks.

I was hopeful Free would break the curse on any linemen we've drafted lower than the second, but that hope has faded. (And as I mentioned in another thread, we have a less than 50 percent success rate even on linemen we've drafted in the second round since 1993.)
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    You left out Larry Allen.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    2nd rd O Line picks for the Boys have a higher rate of success then any lower round pick by far.

Of course the fact that Jerruh has only ever used 1 first on the O line is a telling thing in itself. No other team in the NFL over the last 23 years has used less than 5 I think.
  5. gimmesix

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Yes, I did. He's the third one I mentioned in the other thread. We've drafted four in that time period who did basically nothing for Dallas (Al Johnson, Shane Hannah, Solomon Page, Jacob Rogers).
  6. gimmesix

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    But it's still less than 50 percent. That's not very promising.

It's also why I'm for using the first-round pick on an offensive linemen. We seem to be better at picking later-round defensive linemen (Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Sean Lissemore, Chris Canty, Tyrone Crawford). Of course, our only good "DEs" are first-rounders Ware and Spencer, but considering we were looking for players who could transition to linebacker, I'm not sure how well we can do in the later rounds at that position.
  7. plymkr

plymkr Active Member

194 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Jerry better not sit on this. Get on the phone and trade 2 first rounders to Detroit to ensure Peterson's homecoming.