1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones Says Cap Room No Concern

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wulfman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones Says Cap Room No Concern
    Posted by jellis at 3/15/2012 12:34 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

The Cowboys have made a flurry of moves since free agency began on Wednesday, and more could be on the way in the coming hours, days and weeks. Ultimately, though, there's a limit on just how much money the team can throw around.

After franchising Anthony Spencer, the team's salary cap space dipped to less than $5 million, and only a day before free agency began, the Cowboys were docked $5 million against their 2012 cap by the NFL.

The club created more flexibility by restructuring the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick and tackle Doug Free. While there is a finite amount the Cowboys can spend to, team Vice President Stephen Jones doesn't seem to be too worried about running out of available funds.

Read more here: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/josh_ellis.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090&plckPostId=Blog%3a8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090Post%3a3434eedd-b803-442d-b70a-a613b20c0c96&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    looks like they have accepted the cap penalty and are just going to move on from it without making waves. Probably the smart thing to do.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,766 Messages
    3,753 Likes Received
    Wow. Championship-calliber in 2012. From Stephen Jones.
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    He gets it
  5. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,236 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Count me in. Let's do this!
  6. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    i know..you rarely here him talk like this...Either his dad is finally rubbing off...or We are for real this season...
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well Stephen if this is the case, in order to be a championship team, we needed to sign at least one impact player at pass rusher/DL or OL to make the draft easier for us.

As of right now, we have done nothing in that area. Don't try to spin it, and don't throw trash at us and expect us to think its gold.
  8. cowboy_ron

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Sounds like maybe dad is "backing"off more than rubbing off
  9. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    62 Likes Received

Signing is the only way right? Drafting one would only ruffle your feathers?:rolleyes:
  10. cowboy_ron

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    We have an entire draft ahead of us...I feel that's where JG addresses those areas
  11. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,449 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    I'm loving our off season so far. Now the draft is in a month and we can help our oline and dline instantly.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,392 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    But Jerry's broke! :rolleyes:
  13. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well there are only so many draft picks that we have, and usually around 3 can contribute immediately. Right now, we have way more than 3 holes on this team, and I would like to see another impact signing to make our number of holes less going into the draft.

We have filled our biggest hole at CB, but after that was OL and pass rusher/DL not to mention the others. I would've loved to have seen a center signed, yet so far nothing. We don't have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds to fix this kinda stuff, we need one guy signed who is a legit starter in our interior OL.
  14. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    They seem to be pretty big into Bernadeau and while he isn't exactly a huge name, hes young and actually performed pretty well if the Landry Hat is to be believed regarding his numbers (6 sacks, 5 hits, 25 pressures in 1,399 snaps).

Nor do I think center is our weakest position. Kowalski did pretty well for us coming in as a backup last year and I'm interested to see how he progresses. Guard is my greater concern as we're weak at both spots there and Bernadeau is an OG. Coincidence? I think not.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,359 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  16. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys | Unlikely to challenge loss of cap space
    Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:36:30 -0700

The Dallas Cowboys likely will not challenge the NFL for the loss of $10 million in salary cap space over the next two seasons.

0 Comments | Source: The Washington Post - Mark Maske |

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1pE2F88gw