1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones says Marinelli promotion to DC was performance-based

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 21, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    -- Clarence Hill Jr.

Jones said the decision on defense with moving Marinelli over Kiffin was predicated by performance, considering the Cowboys set franchise records for most yards and first downs allowed.

While Marinelli had a lot of input last year because of his close relationship with Kiffin, Jones believes Marinelll’s having final say will make a huge difference in 2014.

“I think at the end of the day Monte had the final say and Rod deferred to Monte,” Jones said. “There is some respect there. No different than me and Jerry. There is no deferring to Monte. Rod has final say. Rod is truly the defensive coordinator.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...without-contract-extension.html#storylink=cpy
  2. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,544 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Is Stephen on a binge?
    mcompact, Zordon and Common Sense like this.
  3. WoodysGirl

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    I think the media is.. I have no idea when he actually spoke to the media, but they've been spitting out articles regularly the last couple of days with quotes and whatnot from whatever interview he had.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    casmith07 and BigStar like this.
  4. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,544 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Stephen sure does like to make backhanded statements. He insinuated that Rod could've done more last season in terms of playcalls but deferred to Monte in a similar fashion he placates his father? It would seem like the media is sandbagging him but they didn't create the statements out of thin air. The timing is odd in terms of the amount of quotes being printed most recently. Maybe they save some juicy stuff for the slower offseason?
  5. WoodysGirl

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    Well, it's the combine, and this is when you usually have official pressers from GMs and coaches. I totally expected Jerry to have a PC, but it seems it's just going to be Stephen and Jason this year.
    casmith07 likes this.
  6. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

4,544 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received
    Oh I hear ya WG, just the content of his statements aren't nearly as wishy washy compared to JJ and he seems to be causing mini fires with each of these types of quotes. I know he likes the sauce, and people love to drink at conventions...i mean the combine ;)
    Seven, Common Sense and WoodysGirl like this.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,677 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    He's covering for the GM/ Owner..... like anyone wants to hear a single word either loser has to say.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

6,252 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Not nice but true.

Jerry hired Kiffin. It's no secret. It's also no secret (see quote below) that Larry Lacewell influenced his decision. Maybe Stephen can talk his daddy into not listening to Lace; the organization would be better off for it.

"Lacewell, the former Cowboys scouting director who remains a member of Jerry’s unofficial advisory committee, readily admits that he has a “man crush” on the 72-year-old Kiffin. The Cowboys met with Kiffin at Valley Ranch on Thursday, and Lacewell assumes his old friend will officially become Rob Ryan’s replacement soon."

Article -http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...l-on-monte-kiffin-best-hire-cowboys-ever-made
    diehard2294 and BigStar like this.
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,893 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    ...............and that has worked out tremendously.

Stevie needs some Ginko. Main-lined.
    BigStar likes this.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,906 Messages
    3,179 Likes Received
    So basically Stephen is saying that the defense could have been a lot better if Rod had final say so, but he deferred to Grandpa who could barely stay awake in the sky box.

Thanks for sharing that nugget Stephen, anything else you want to get off your chest?
    Seven, BigStar and BoysFan4ever like this.
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,939 Messages
    6,634 Likes Received
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what exactly Stephen Jones brings to the table for this franchise.
  12. Beast_from_East

15,906 Messages
    3,179 Likes Received
    Isnt he officially the cap guy that handles all the contracts?

He has done a hell of a job.....................how many millions are we over the cap by?
    Seven and BigStar like this.
  13. coult44

coult44 Benched

1,955 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received
    Can someone tell me something Marinelli did good?
  14. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,184 Messages
    2,347 Likes Received
    You know the answer. He's the secret sauce guy.
    Zordon likes this.
  15. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

3,049 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    Just... stop talking, Stephen.
  16. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

3,049 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Well first you take some lemon juice...
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  17. Beast_from_East

15,906 Messages
    3,179 Likes Received
    Yea, Stephen is not going to be the media whore his daddy is when he takes over..........................LOL...................he might even be worse, cant go a day without dropping a quote.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,527 Messages
    9,465 Likes Received
    Predictable bashing of anything either Jones says for any reason aside, that's actually a telling comment right there. On two levels. That he defers to Jerry, and that Rod deferred to Monte. And the implication that the deference might not have helped the team is either unintended or amusing. I'll let you guys guess which one I think it is.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  19. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,767 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm in favor of the move, but if anything was "performance based", Marinelli should've been fired. Fielding one of the worst defenses in NFL history isn't worthy of a promotion in my book, but in Jones world...
    BoysFan4ever and Gaede like this.
  20. WoodysGirl

68,644 Messages
    8,900 Likes Received
    I think all these articles are from the same interview. Media hasn't had much to write about so their now spoon feeding us every little tidbit and nugget they can come up with from that interview.

There are quite a few more that I haven't posted...just because it is overkill.