1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones says Marinelli promotion to DC was performance-based

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

502 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Garrett's retention is performance based too. They all love 8-8.
    Alexander likes this.
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,119 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    Is that the same situation as Cally and JG? Cally wanted to call plays but JG would overrule him and screw it all up like he has for years is my bet.
    BigStar likes this.
  3. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,181 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    Performance based? The stupidity of this franchise never ceases to amaze me.
    Apollo Creed likes this.
  4. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,865 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    You know me.
    You know my game.
    And at this point, all I can say is- I don't like any of this.

I have faith that Marinelli can do more than Kiffen.
    I have faith that McClay can unify the War Room.
    I have hope that Linehan can make our offense more dynamic again.

But all these quotes and actions/inactions by the team from it's snakeheads...

None of it comforts me in the slightest.
    I see no plan. I see no true direction. I see nothing that indicates anything other than they are trying to fix the stupid things they have been doing and not in a manner that makes me feel confident.
    It's all still scattershot. Still fix the latest ******* move until the next- then try to fix that in lieu of the next one.

All I can do really is hope- and that's not a plan.
    I can only say for certain- no money from my bank accounts are going toward Our Boys in Vegas in a winning manner right now.

Maybe after Free Agency and the Draft will I feel different, but right now-

NO WAY.
    perrykemp likes this.
  5. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,683 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Perhaps Jerry is trying to pay dutiful attention to familiarizing himself with the talent at the Combine and leaving the interview BS to Stephen. Truth be told, isn't it only fitting that this might be the case? After all, it's entirely possible Garrett isn't the only one in training -- couldn't it very well be that Jerry is too?
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,598 Messages
    3,486 Likes Received
    *chuckles*
  7. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,907 Messages
    1,107 Likes Received
    I swear we got a House of Cards mentality in the Cowboys FO...
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,201 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    well, I'm going on the belief and hope that as the year went on Monty went old school, ok ancient school, and went total read/prevent and tried to just limit scoring. This is what he knows, he would never think to attack, and bring constant pressure.

The final game of the season somebody forced him to switch gears and we had much more success. I believe Rod will attack and harness the emotion he had the defense playing with at the start of last season. As you remember guys were flying to the ball and getting some pressure.
    Once we began to back off the overall aggressive pursuit disappeared. I think that was all Monty and nobody challenged him until the last game. Long story short, a non stop aggressive approach alone will make this a top 20 defense, and some health and a good draft could make us a top 15 and that's good enough for 1 season. Go get them Rod.
  9. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,680 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Marinelli did as well as I'd expect him to. Playing all those sub replacement level players, it's a minor miracle we weren't even worse on defense.
    jobberone and Idgit like this.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,257 Messages
    2,690 Likes Received
    Just saw this. Won't make too much of it but it is interesting.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,257 Messages
    2,690 Likes Received
    I hardily disagree. I think they both did a great job with what they had to work with. Perhaps it should've been much better but I doubt it. You can't build a mall with a utility tool.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,409 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    I bet he calls an impromptu session. That man cannot help himself.

On the other hand, what is interesting is that Stephen has become quite the little chatterbox.

Sadly, he sounds just as nonsensical and ignorant as his father when he speaks.

“Free agency isn’t always the answer. We could go out and hire somebody is we wanted. But I don’t see us going in that direction now. We are not in any rush. But what it may cause you to do is draft young people and play your draft picks which may make us a better football team. A team like Seattle shows that.”
    jobberone likes this.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    Yep. Something tells me when you have to use 19 defensive linemen... you aren't going to be very successful.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,978 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    Don't know.

But I'll take Marinelli as DC over Ryan or Kiffin.

So it appears after all is said and done..

Garrett ends up with arguably the best DC in the NFC.

Not bad.
    jobberone likes this.
  15. MichaelWinicki

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    How dare you suggest the Cowboys did anything right.
    jobberone likes this.
  16. Alexander

23,409 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    A year after hiring Kiffin? And enduring the worst defensive performance in club history?

If anything, we are a lucky recipient of Monte's friend list on Facebook. Too bad Tampa jumped us and grabbed Lovie Smith.
    Seven and BigStar like this.
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,475 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Setting up for the inevitable media-driven destruction of Stephen Jones as a person.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,971 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Nice try............. Not really. Marinelli fell into their laps. Why wasn't he hired as DC in the first place? Your usual hindsight schtick. I get it. Idgit will chime in as if the last decade of Cowboy football didn't happen and we shouldn't be expecting this because it's word- smithed a little differently from a related horses mouth. The truth is in the perverbial pudding. Denying it humors me however I respect your views. Were just not watching the same team and its dysfunctional efforts.

They do some things right just not nearly enough.
  19. MichaelWinicki

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received

I'll take a "fall into their laps". As I've learned in business luck is a factor.

But that being said, it wasn't entirely luck. He was available and Kiffin was brought on board, which opened the door.
    jobberone likes this.
  20. Alexander

23,409 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    This move to install Marinelli as DC was equivalent to Pee Wee Herman falling off his bike and rolling around only to dust himself off and say he "meant to do that."

Lacewell recommended Kiffin. Jones reacted on that. It was collateral fortune that Marinelli was also looking for a job and that Lovie Smith did not sign on with anyone last season. Plain and simple.