1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Still and Mercilus

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Nov 19, 2011.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,233 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Devon Still is having a great year and so is Whitney Mercilus.

Mercilus leads the nation in sacks (12.5) and forced fumbles (seven) and is fourth in tackles for loss (17.5).
    Still ranks sixth in the country in tackles for loss (16.5) with four sacks and has been one of the most disruptive defensive players in the country.

Give me those two and a OL and I would be happy. My draft board is so crazy right now. I need some conference champion games, bowl games, and the combine to straighten it all out.
  2. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    but in 3-4 your big guys are space eaters

never goning to have big numbers of sacks

I see no use in spending a 1 on a space eater

I'd rather go with CB or C
  3. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nov 18

1 Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia

2 Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State

3 Joe Adams, WR, Ark

4 Jacquies Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

5 Tank Carder, ISB, TCU

6 Travian Robertson, DE/DT, South Carolina

6 Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

7 Kelcie McCray, FS/SS, Ark St
  4. supercowboy8

5,233 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I can agree on Center but Still would be a 3-4 DE and yes they can get sacks, see Justin Smith and Calasis Campbell and even JJ Watt.
    Whitney would be a SOLB and they do get sacks.
  5. supercowboy8

5,233 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I really like this draft too, Minnifield is one of the best CBs in the nation. Adams is a great returner but that to early for him.
    Tank Carter is not a 3-4 ILB.
  6. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Illini fan here and Mercilus would be an OLB here. I don't know how well he would play that role as I've never saw him do anything but put his hand on the ground. He sure has the mobility to be able to, but I don't know how well he moves around in space. Mercilus is a beast though and never gives up. Another guy from Illinois IMO Dallas should look at is WR AJ Jenkins. Put him in the slot and he would be a terror on the field.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love me some Joe Adams, I'll take him!!!! Explosive returner and good WR!
  8. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I would love to see us get Jenkins.
  9. pitofdoom

pitofdoom Benched

11 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    not a big fan of Mercilus or Still
  10. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    People nationally have no clue how good AJ is. Kid is a flat out stud and would be a monster on this team. There isn't anything he doesn't do well. The one knock on him is getting of the jam but he isn't bad he just gets doubled all the time and still makes plays. Plus he can return kicks and punts and do it very well.
  11. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I think if we get Mercilus in like round 4 or 5 it would be a great pick. Anything before that and I'd be a little hesitant only because I have no idea how he moves in space but he plays the run well and is a really good pass rusher. One more thing on Mercilus is he is the exact type of player Garrett is looking for though. Tough, hard working, takes coaching really well and just is always going 100%.
  12. supercowboy8

5,233 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    round 4 or 5? really? he is a 1st or at worst 2nd round pick.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whitney Mercilus may be the owner of the coolest last name in college football.

Couple of red flags on him IMO though. He's blown up this season (13.5 sacks), but in his two previous seasons he had very little production (2 sacks in two years). Also, he's not strikingly fluid or sudden IMO. He's lanky and has long arms ala Greg Ellis, but also seems to move in space as well as Ellis too.
  14. IlliniNation

IlliniNation Member

72 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    AJ Jenkins would be great to have. That guy is a very good reciever, and still seems to be flying under the radar a bit. Probably because the Illini have sucked so bad offensively recently.
  15. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    i'd take him in the 3rd but I def wouldn't take him in the 1st or it's I really doubt I would in the 2nd either honestly. Too much of an unknown. He's only had 1 big year at Illinois (he did have a solid 2nd half the year his soph year) but if he could move around in space that well he would have been the bandit at Illinois and he wasn't. Our bandit is Michael Buchanon who is also a player to keep an eye on IMO. He's a better prospect then Mercilus IMO at least at OLB.
  16. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    he's the only guy Scheelhaase seems to even look at when he has time to throw. he's a stud IMO and will be a very good WR in the NFL.