1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Still take OL or draft Alex Okeafor?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Active Member

663 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    The DE from Texas is a BEAST. Not sure if we should still target Warmack or go after DE to make the 4-3 great.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,293 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    You can get Okafor in the 2nd or even the 3rd round possibly
  3. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,907 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    I would rather take OL, but Okafor is going in the top 40 picks.
  4. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,782 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    after the senior bowl, scouting combine, and pro day, Okafor should solidify himself as a 1st round pick.

now that we are going back to the 4-3....I feel he would be our Mathis to DWare's Freeney.
  5. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,359 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    no, you couldn't
  6. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,293 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    He's a solid player but there's a reason scouts are low on him. He lacks the physical tools to put him above the other pass rushing prospects in the 1st round. And no one is expecting him to impress at the combine either, particularly the speed drills. He's not the same type of explosive athlete that Orakpo/Kindle were.

I think mid 2nd round will be his ceiling
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,580 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I keep reading all these posts from people wanting to draft guys from Texas, at least 3 different players so far.

If Texas had 3 players on that defense worth a first round pick they wouldn't have FREAKING SUCKED ALL SEASON.
  8. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,006 Messages
    76 Likes Received

Having watch Texas defense suck all yr my first reaction is to agree, but if you did watch them you caught yourself asking what the hell the coaches were doing.

I don't know how these guys translate to the pro's, but Okafur and Vaccaro weren't the issue. Vaccaro was the only guy in the back 7 that made a tackle all year.
  9. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,782 Messages
    128 Likes Received

Texas got gashed up the middle all year by the running game.......Okafor and Jeffcoat play DE. Vaccaro was the only one out there tackling, and even he whiffed a few times, going for BOOM hits, instead of wrapping up. Also, in the passing game, for some reason, Diaz had his corners playing off a lot. When they played on the WR at the snap, the defense did better, similar to ours.....when Ryan would put the CBs on the WR at the snap, we defended better.....but more often than not, he was playing off and we got burned.
  10. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

926 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Still take BPA.

I don't think that'll be Okafor.
  11. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    BPA I agree if you need refreshing how good the Texas team played go back to the OU Cotton Bowl game earlier this fall when everything was on the line. They do not deserve a first rd selection if we use BPA.
  12. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,978 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    This draft is deep in d-line and o-line talent.

We should go BPA and that`ll most likely be a stud DT Like Jessie Williams or guard like Chance Warmack. Maybe even an offensive tackle.

But a centrepiece for the d-line to be re-built around would give us our biggest bang at pick 18.

Even Vaccaro the safety would be a solid pick if he falls that far.

In saying all of this, I`d take Jessie Williams but wish Star would fall.

Guard in the 2nd. We should also pick up o-line help in FA.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    No kidding. This was the worst tackling Texas team i've ever seen.
  14. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Someone will overdraft Okafor. He isn't worth a #1 pick, but he will probably be drafted at the end of Round 1.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,194 Messages
    5,678 Likes Received
    he'll drop as the draft process continues along just like all mack brown players do. the lack of a real head coach and a real S&C program at texas hurts these guys when they get to the combine.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    I would definetely take him in the 2nd.