1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Storage Wars Sued By Its Star; Show Is Faked And Execs Were Confronted By Cast

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by trickblue, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I meant the price of buying them not the rental price, sorry I know that wasn't clear
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,350 Messages
    4,312 Likes Received
    Aagh, gotcha..

My complaint still remains.. Those rental things sucks.. lol
  3. rkell87

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    lol yeah they do however you can make your money back, get all of the stuff out of your locker and fill it with storage boxes labeled things like fine china, extremely fragile and the like and stack them really neat, then check craigslist for free furniture and go pick up some nicer looking stuff and put it behind the boxes so you can see it but can't get a look at it from the outside, then stop paying your rent and wait till they auction it off. The storage place legally can't make money from your locker so they take their back rent, the auctioneer takes his cut, and you get a check for the overage so everybody wins!.....except the bidder, he wins but it is really a loss for them lol
  4. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,375 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    No clue how you came up w/ this concept, but it's so farfetched, it's like you got it from some fairytale.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,695 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    Actually...

It isn't, even though it seems that it could be.

There was an article in the Buffalo newpaper about a month ago talking about the storage rental laws in New York State.

And that's how it works, if there are any profits (after selling an abandon storage unit) up and above the costs due the auction company and the back rent due the storage facility– Well those profits go back to the folks that originally rented the storage unit.

It may not be right, but that's how it works in New York.

Can't vouch for other states though.
  6. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,892 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I'm a bit surprised people are stunned that it's fake. I always thought that the common sense would show it was fake, but they were essentially trying to re-dramatize past experiences that these auctioneers have had.

I think Hester would have a point given that this was causing a lot of people to get into the business thinking they could strike oil like it is done on the show. Furthermore, it has to hurt their business because it increased the popularity of auctioneers and now bidding and winning a bid becomes entirely more difficult.

But, I don't buy for a second that Hester had some change of heart. It's been staged/assisted from the get-go and he had no problem with it until 4 seasons have gone bye, which coincided with him having his contract rescinded. From the sounds of it, he was a colossal pain in the arse in real life and probably wanted more money. He recently had a DUI and he wasn't on some episodes, apparently because he was busy with his own auctioneer business and the legal troubles with the DUI.

So he probably had demands that were too high and A&E decided he wasn't worth it. Then he sued.

YR
  7. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,375 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Wow, I would of never guessed that in a million years. I stand corrected.

But a search turned up this: which confirms this, although the storage co owner in most cases, is under no obligation to notify the lessee that funds exist.

Also, many sites I found w/ extended legalese, also mentioned the storage company owner is under almost no obligation to ever "auction off" the contents of a unit once they've fulfilled their obligation of notifying the lessee by registered mail that they're in default and after a set period of time, the property becomes theirs.

8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,892 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Daryl Sheets scored big as well. I think he had a rare comic book collection that priced today would have been $6 million. He wouldn't go into how much he sold it for, but it sounds like it was just under $1 million. I believe Daryl has also found legitimate Piccaso works as well.

YR
  9. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received

thats one sexy MIL* right there
  10. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Really? I don't see it.

[IMG]

Maybe you mean sexy 'parts'.... :)
  11. PullMyFinger

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya me too, and Hardcore Pawn, and Pawn Stars
  12. PullMyFinger

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some money can be made, a friend of mine dad does it, although part time. Hes found some pretty rocking stuff. Hes no millionaire by any means.

I like that show where they bid for luggage at the airport too.
  13. rkell87

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    it is a legit scam that people pull but you have to do research into your storage places policy and state laws but I know she is in houston so it would work. These scams are usually pulled on smaller mom and pop places because they don't run back ground checks or really verify the info you give them. If you do it at a chain you have to give your real info and your data is in their network and you won't be given a locker at any of their locations for then on. On top of that if the facility has your real info then the person who buys your fake locker set up can go grease the guy at the front desk for your name/address and pay you a visit if they are so inclined.

but yes, if a locker is auctioned in this country the storage place only has a right to back rent. And you are right, it is up to the storage place to let you know that you have some money but if you pull this scam then you know that you have money coming so you know to go and collect it.
  14. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I have always thought that show was fake.

I know someone that was in a horrible car accident and lost all of her belongings in storage while she was in the hospital. She was in the process of finding a new place to move when the accident happened. Everything she owned was in a storage unit and she missed a couple of rental payments. They locked her out and she never got her stuff back.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,045 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I hated to see Hester go, he was definitely my favorite, and he seemed genuine. My favorite reality show on TV, well actually my only.
  16. KoRnyBrad

KoRnyBrad I am the Bat!

248 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    ...wait, what?!:lmao2:
  17. rkell87

7,351 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i'm into bearing sea gold and gold rush as far as reality tv goes. I think bearing sea is about as real as it gets, I think a few of the crews have been paired up to create certain dynamics for drama but I believe for the time being that what is happening is genuine. Gold rush my be a little more scripted, mainly the whole hoffman crew may be the shows doing, and the show probably had something to do with fred buying that claim from under the hoffmans. Parker might be the only one act of his own accord but the work, struggle, and obstacles faced/overcame I believe to be true, they don't make it look easy like anybody could do it like on storage wars
  18. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    he sues trey songz now the show this guy is an attention whore...
  19. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    'Storage Wars': Darrell Sheets Gets Biggest Payout In Show's History

It was the biggest payout in the history of "Storage Wars." Darrell Sheets invested $3,600 into a storage locker, which is a lot of money to take on a gamble. But the show clearly saved the best for last, as the season finale revealed a find no one could have anticipated.

The locker was filled with original art by Frank Guttierez. An expert estimated that the collection was worth approximately $300,000, flooring Darrell.

Read the rest and see the video here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/storage-wars-biggest-payout-ever-video_n_2328407.html
  20. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I watched this episode. I had a chuckle because clearly it was faked.