1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: StrTgrm JFE:Cowboys have a coach with a clue at last

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Cowboys have a coach with a clue at last

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

jenfloyd@ star-telegram.com

IRVING -- It was Saturday night in The Meadowlands, and Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was preaching the gospel of Magic Johnson to his captive audience.

The message was pride.

Magic talked about playing with pride every time he put on a Laker jersey. JG wanted that same feeling about The Star. Cowboys linebacker Bradie James was sitting in between safeties Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball listening intently when he hears Ball.

"Alan Ball leans in and says to me, 'I have never had a team meeting on a Saturday night like that,'" James recounted. "And when you think about it, he's only known Wade and that wasn't Wade's m.o. So when you ask 'What is different?' That is just one of the little things."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/15/2634024/cowboys-have-a-coach-with-a-clue.html#ixzz15RNcwWrX
  2. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting article. I was one of those who thought MBIII should be benched, or at least sat for a while. Didn't think fines would be adquately enough to get his point across. So the team thought Garrett handle MBIII action correctly cause they didn't believe he'd do something which might hurt the team's performance.

Don't live in Dallas so I don't see many of the reporter's articles. So maybe we fans do overreact to such situations. But in our defense that's because for so long we've watched as Wade ran this ship into the ground. While Garrett and the team can turn the ship around, there's little chance we can go on a cruise.

As for Garrett lobbying to get rid of MBIII after season over, I think most on this board have made it claim they want him gone once season is over. If Garrett does a good job restructuring this team & winning some game, I hope JJ hires as our next HC. But I also want Garrett to do what is necessary to him to win battles with Jerry over who he keeps on this team, who he benches, etc. Hopefully JJ understands what has to be done & gets on board. Hopefully Garrett will also get Stephen on board to also lobby his father.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,774 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Jennifer Floyd Engel

IRVING -- It was Saturday night in The Meadowlands, and Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was preaching the gospel of Magic Johnson to his captive audience.

The message was pride.

Magic talked about playing with pride every time he put on a Laker jersey. JG wanted that same feeling about The Star. Cowboys linebacker Bradie James was sitting in between safeties Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball listening intently when he hears Ball.

"Alan Ball leans in and says to me, 'I have never had a team meeting on a Saturday night like that,'" James recounted. "And when you think about it, he's only known Wade and that wasn't Wade's m.o. So when you ask 'What is different?' That is just one of the little things."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/15/2634024/cowboys-have-a-coach-with-a-clue.html#ixzz15RW7bnai
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,217 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    A lot of what JG is doing reminds me of the way Jimmy Johnson ran things.
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,815 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Fining MBIII seems the correct course of action if you believe he brings something that you can't replace by playing Choice. Garrett obviously believes this. I don't necessarily believe it, but I can definitely understand the rationale behind not sitting him.
  6. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,585 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I enjoyed reading and agreed with Engels --the world is ending at noon:)
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My exact sentiments...and I even wrote her an e-mail to say such.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    MB3 is an idiot.

Dude, you're getting paid way more in Dallas than anyone will ever pay you on the open market. Don't given them a reason to terminate your cushy contract, as if your 3.3 ypc wasn't enough.
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    :clap:

Fans seem to think because guys are making millions of dollars, they're going to be self-motivated. But players are like all people. People have different personalities. Some are self-starters. Some need people to prod them.

The Cowboys aren't unlike general humanity. If you have laid-back people, they will adopt a laid-back personality, especially if they have a laid-back coach.

I think Wade is a good guy, but his "if you make a mistake, it's my fault" was taken to the extreme and started to seep into the attitudes of the players.

There are some who miss that laid-back atmosphere. They'd better get used to Camp Garrett because I'm pretty sure he's going to be the next permanent coach for the Cowboys. He's just too in good with Jerry, and if he wins a few more games (which I suspect the Cowboys will continuing with the Lions), Garrett can remove the "interim" from his title.
  10. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,932 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I hope Barber is elsewhere next season. Wouldn't bother me if he was gone even sooner than that.
  11. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,077 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Boy, can't stand her at all.

I don't think Marion is the player he was but he still has a lot of fire and he was a lot of the heart of this team in 07 and 08.

I don't know his reasons for breaking dress code and they probably are not good but I would not rag on him for anything else. He really abused his body the first few years and as a fan I appreciate that and see the toll that has taken on him.

JFE has done nothing for the fans, I wish they would put her article in the trash can every week !
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,137 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    the fact that James didnt even know much about Garrett tells me everything I need to know about past structure...there was a deep divide between offense and defense...from the coaches down to the players. Here is hoping Garrett closes that deep divide.
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    .....this guy is a disappointment on and off the field. I don't expect him to be in Dallas next year: more for performance than dress code obviously.:mad:
  14. Mattsdad

Mattsdad Member

588 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Will make a prediction; Barber won't last the season. If he challenges JG one more time (and I think he will in some fashion), he will be made an example of and cut.
  15. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,288 Messages
    104 Likes Received

I remember having this argument with folks in 2008. Posters said they were professionals and should not have to be motivated, yet as we know in the real world of work, people sometimes need a kick in the arse.