1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: StrTgrm JFE: Never say never with Tony Romo

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,705 Messages
    2,733 Likes Received
    Jennifer Floyd Engel

In the world of sports punditry, Tony Dungy oftentimes sounds like Bill Cosby in a crowd of Richard Pryors, George Carlins and Eddie Murphys.

Others scream. He lectures.

Others cuss. He discusses.

Others machete. He deals in paper cuts.

Dungy has this ability to go scorched earth without even raising his voice, or falling back on "Big Sports Opinions." Which is why when he drops his word of wisdom into this quickly mushroom-clouding Cowboys mess, I tend to listen.
    "Part of being a leader at the quarterback position is protecting the football," Dungy said of Cowboys QB Tony Romo on Sunday's Football Night in America. "You've got to do that to be a great quarterback."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/13/2545131/never-say-never-with-tony-romo.html#ixzz12KTt8vlI
  2. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    She talks about Aikman being a leader--in his own way. But Aikman had a heck of a lot of help around him. Starting with Jimmy Johnson & including a really spirited leader in Michael Irvin. W/o both of them, what kind of leader would Aikman have been?

But Romo apparently has little if anyone around to help. He certainly doesn't get any help from the coaching staff; how any team can win a SB with those bunch of jokes is beyond me. Talk about inept.

We also don't know behind the scenes what's going on. Unfortunately as the Cowboys QB, it all falls on Romo's shoulders, or that's the perception. If he hasn't already done so, and you guys living in Dallas would know lot more about what going on in the lockerroom then me here in Tampa, FL.

The Pats used (maybe still do) had a group of respect vets who wee a committee organized to ensure players were held accountable. Think they exercise their responsibility by having talks with certain players, fines, etc. Don't know if these vets held position by votes or just appointed themseles. I do think Romo is the only player on that team that can get in Wade's face or even in Jerry's about making some changes. Romo, again if he hasn't already done so & frankly I'm thinking Romo certainly probably trying to do some things. I would hope he'd talking to a few other QBs he respect to get ideas from them about how far he can push the envelope.

Yes, I agree some will say that Romo himself makes mistakes by throwing INTs. My reply would be yes he does but he should be willing to and does step to the plate & admit it and try to do better. I think he should try to demand/expect his teammates to do the same. I kind of like what the Pats do. Cause if I were Romo one of the things I would demand of my teammates is that at some point the team will expect them to step forward to the media and talk about what they did wrong in that game, etc. Too many of the Cowboy players don't want to talk to the media after a game. Not saying to do this so media gets more interviews, but it could be part of a plane to demand player individual responsibility along with fines, maybe even demanding Wade sit a player who continually causes penalties. That's a tough call; Romo wants his OL to protect him. Can he count on them to do it if he calls them out or this group of vets I'm proposing he organize/help organize can have that job so it falls on no particular player but a group of respected players.

How about Romo himself being on that group, including Witten who should himself talk about the penalties he makes, Newman, most respected OL player, Austin (young but plays like a vet), & several other players.
  3. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,723 Messages
    133 Likes Received
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    Leadership's so hard to define. It means so many things to so many people.
    To me, it means winning more games by not turning the ball over, but who am I to argue with a well-reasoned analysis like this.

At least now we know the problem is not a lack of caring. We're circling in on the accountability void with the water-bailing stuff. Very thought-provoking.
  5. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,424 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    She's a clown.

Romo gets sacked 6 times comes back from 14 down, hits Bennett in the hands in the endzone. He threw one bad pass in the flat that you could tell he couldn't see the Titan coming up on Bennett.

His entire team put him in the worst positions the entire game, yet she singles him out?

So they miss chip shot field goals, drop TD passes and allow Vince Young to look like a real QB. They allow Johnson to bust out backside a few times, which they knew they had to stop, but for some reason Spencer's crashing down the line and skipping his most important responsibility of safe guarding against the cut back. Not to mention the new backpeddling cornerback containment scheme that Jenkins decides to employ and Tony Romo isn't a leader?

How is it she's even taken seriously?
  6. Idgit

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    I'm not local, but I can't imagine she's taken seriously even locally, is she? Her schtick is transparent, and it's bad.
  7. LandryFan

LandryFan Active Member

1,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Indeed. She's such an ***. She says others would be "idiots" if they disagree with her...well, she knows first hand what an idiot is!
  8. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't get past the first few paragraphs, but if the remainder are anything like those....this is complete BS.

This could have easily been said about Romo two or three years ago, but to say this now is just showing a complete lack of knowledge of the player Romo has become. He has shown great improvement in ball security over the last two seasons, and one game with three turnovers (two of which could just as easily be blamed on Bennett or Doug Free) is no longer the norm. Romo is never going to escape stupid critical comments like this until he wins a super bowl, and its a shame....he deserves criticism, but not when it's aimed at defining the player he is.

All of his accolades are conveniently ignored while his outlying poor games become define him....that's BS.
  9. LandryFan

LandryFan Active Member

1,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    How is it she's even taken seriously?

She isn't, by most people around here, I don't think. She's kind of like the bad wreck...you know it's going to be gory, but you slow down and take a look anyways. I have nobody but myself to blame for reading her crap.
  10. Idgit

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    I blame Brainpaint, for posting it.
  11. LandryFan

LandryFan Active Member

1,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Sounds good to me! :D
  12. Idgit

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    How is it Brainpaint is ever taken seriously?
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,202 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    'training bra' longs for pregnancy....:rolleyes:
  14. LandryFan

LandryFan Active Member

1,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    She's got to find someone willing to lay her first. I hear her "marriage" is one of "convenience"...:D
  15. bbwlover

bbwlover New Member

98 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I remember, Aikman was not the most liked player, in the locker room but his teammates respected him. They feared making a mistake. Aikman demanded perfection. He was far more mature than his age. I feel that Tony wants to be liked. Perhaps, a bit too much. I don't know if he has it in him but he must reach a point where he says... "F" it. I don't care if I'm liked. Don't care if I'm invited, over to X player's house, for a game watching party. Romo will still have his (non team) buddies to pal around with. Football is a business, kinda like rooting for IBM. It's all corporate. Tony's window is limited. If he has the overwhelming desire, to reach the goals that I know he has in his mind. He will have to FORGET being liked and demand respect, with his demeanor and his play on the field. Aikman had a pedigree. He was a number one draft pick. Tony was an after thought, a free agent scrub. He befriended the other scrubs the year he was signed. I just don't feel that he has the mental make-up to become the hard arse he needs to be. When Tashard was barking at Romo, do you think a player would have done that to Aikman? Maybe on the sidline but not on the field. I know Irvin would work his shoulders but I don't recall that he ever showed up Aikman on the field. Watching the old clips of the Baltimore Colts. Johnny U would throw a touchdown pass and immediately walk, grim faced, toward the sideline. I don't know if Tony's relationship, with the player's on this current team, will ever allow him to be the leader that he NEEDS to become. It's probably too late to change because I'm sure it would seem disingenuous, to his teammates. Zoner's, I hope I'm wrong but the clock is ticking... on this season and Tony's career.
  16. Idgit

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    No worries. You're wrong. Jumping at shadows. Tony's not Aikman, but he doesn't need to be. There's no QB problem in Dallas right now, thank God.