1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Strum thinks Arkin is a goner

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, May 5, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,570 Messages
    1,427 Likes Received
    Conspicuously absent from Callahan's mental shortlist are Kevin Kowalski and David Arkin. This may simply have been Callahan not wanting to provide a status update on every single player, or it could have been a sign that the Cowboys may have soured a little on at least Dave Arkin. In yesterday's "Cowboys Crunchtime Podcast", our own KD referenced an exchange he had on that specific topic with Bob Sturm:

Bob Sturm suggested that the new offensive line regime does not see the pro potential in Arkin based on the film that they watched, and might not even have him in the Cowboys future plans at all. Sturm mentioned that his inside track birdie tells him maybe we should put our money on Bill Nagy winning the starting center job or at least give him the first crack when camp opens up.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...s-early-look-at-2012-cowboys-o-line#storyjump
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    That's really reading between the lines, imo, to come up with that conclusion.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,503 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Well, that's disappointing about Arkin, but I guess something has to give with the numbers at the position.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,570 Messages
    1,427 Likes Received
    Not really, Sturm has his sources and Arkin was inactive for 16 games even though the line play was terrible.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I guess we'll see soon enough . . . .
  6. Joe_Fan

Joe_Fan Continuity Is Overrated

454 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    But according to so many people on this site the OL wasn't really all that bad.

:lmao2:
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    LOL @ "new offensive line regime".

You'd think we had an entire new offensive staff.
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,449 Messages
    3,016 Likes Received
    It is and it isn't.

You want to see 4th round picks if not threaten for a starting job in year 2, at least have a solid spot on the roster.

With Leary added to the mix there are a lot of guys competing at guard. Someone is going to not have a seat at the table.

If Arkin gets upsurped by Leary or Kowalski then that's OK too.
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received

If you listened to KD Drummond's podcast he mentioned this but he also mentioned that Arkin went the the same OL camp that Holland went to in order to get better. Also Houck had been training Arkin to be a center.

How this all shakes out has yet to be determined. The key word Callahan has said so far is that he has a starting point for the OL right now but that will have some flexibility as training camp goes on.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It'll be an interesting camp.

I don't know what to think about Arkin. They were obviously high on him at one point and started him in the first PS game. Then they said he wasn't ready to play at this level and was never expected to play in 2011.

I really wouldn't be upset if they released him ASAP. If they don't think he has potential to play in this league it is better to develop the players who they think can play in the future.

As for Killa, I hope they look at his play later in the year. I thought he looked quite good. He was also quite good in PS when he played with the first team when Costa was injured. He is a small school guy and young so he should be expected to make a big step after a full offseason. I'm much higher on Nagy and Kowalski then I am on Costa and Arkin so I hope they end up on the roster.
  11. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't really care at this point who doesn't make it, I just want the guys that start to be good.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Sounds like Callahan disagrees with Houck's assessments. Of course nothing is for sure until the pads go on in camp.
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...........Livings,Costa and Bernadeau as the interior oline?:banghead: :eek:
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    every time I think of the skins game or where Costa got tossed by that LB I wonder how in the world anyone could start him.
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Robert Leary is about to take someone's job. Leary is a big, strong, athletic player. Someone is in trouble for sure.
  16. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,672 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    I'm hoping that Leary has something to him and can man the RG position, Bernie at C and Livings at LG.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    The Cowboys knew Arkin needed to increase his strength before he could get in the lineup when they drafted him. Houck when he left said that all he needs is his strength increased. This is much ado about nothing. But it's the same old crap from the same old people. Why don't we actually wait until camp and then see how they pan out for a change?
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    If Arkin is on his way out, he might be the first of several. There has been some unrealistic hopes placed on the young linemen that made the team last year. The late round draft picks and undrafted free agents have a talent level that matches their draft position.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,015 Messages
    9,097 Likes Received
    It is disappointing if true. I had some hopes for him when they selected him.

I'm all for Nagy at C considering the alternatives. Or if Leary is in fact pro ready, move Bernadeau to C and Leary/Livings are your Gs.