1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm: Josh Brent, lack of NT is reason for Sunday failure to stop run

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 3, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
    You want to put Sunday on someone? Josh Brent is your guy. Seriously. Everything on the ground started with not having a NT.

To put it a less abrasive way, Sean Lissemore vs C Will Montgomery didn't go well. Partly because that wasn't Lissemore's position.

That wasn't a cheap shot on Brent. Rather, he was a very strong player vs the run all year. He holds the point of attack. Before, anyway.
  2. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I definitely agree. NT is a need, umfortunately.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Terrence Knighton come on down. Draft is deep there too.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
    @BlakeShaw4 I figured saying Romo for 3 days was enough for everyone. On Thursday night, I point somewhere else, too.

OK, in case it wasn't clear - "put Sunday on someone on the defense". Romo is still front and center. Sometimes you have to be clearer.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    It's too bad. Josh Brent was showing flashes for sure.
  6. dools

dools Member

219 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Luckily this appears to be a great year DT's. Please draft one!
  7. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,628 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Of course,

Facing the NFL's # 1 rushing team didn't help either.:rolleyes:

Even with them running all over Dallas , Dallas's broken defense still kept them in the game.

Until.....

Yeah,, you know the rest.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Talk about Mr. Obvious, of course not having a NT hurt us versus the Redskins. Not to mention, our best run stuffing DE, Coleman, was also out ....
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    4,238 Likes Received
    regardless, this team had two interceptions in redskins territory in the 1st half (one in the redzone) and mismanaged an opportunity to get a field goal right before halftime. that is anywhere btw 3-17 pts (realistically 6-10 pts) they left on the field in the 1st half. not only that but we had the ball in our hands with 3 minutes, 3 timeouts and only a 3 pt deficit. the offense and particularly tony romo should shoulder 90% of the blame for that game.
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Romo definitely had a poor game.

I'm just saying it's tough to stop the run when both your NTs and best run stuffing DE are out.

(This isn't a pro or anti Romo opinion. Just stating the obvious. Assuming you were responding to my thread . . . . )
  11. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    It sounds logical, but I just haven't seen that from rewatching the game a bit. Lissemore gets pushed off the ball a little bit, but it didn't seem to me to be the deciding factor on the important, decisive runs. But we saw the worst linebacker play we have seen from this team in several seasons last Sunday.

Ware, Sims, Connor and Poppinga were all just awful.
  12. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

854 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    NT is a bigger priority than OLine. We need to get a monster of a NT in the draft.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    someone else that does not care if we have the 31st ranked running game and our QB has to be houdini to survive
  14. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,879 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    That mismanagement was Romo throwing a 7 yard pass behind Hanna when he had time to throw and Hanna was open. Had he made that easy throw, we would have kicked the field goal instead of punting.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    4,238 Likes Received
    you're probably right. i'm not ready to re-watch the game yet so i'm not certain what happened on that route. the point is as bad as the run defense played, we still held them to 21 pts before the final touchdown off the interception. the skins offense has scored more than that in all but 3 of their games. it was up to the 100% HEALTHY OFFENSE to show up and burn the 30th ranked pass defense. instead they played the same inconsistent offense we've seen from garrett's group all season. 15 out of 16 games this season we were unable to score more than 10 pts in the 1st half. i'm sorry, most of my ire goes to that side of the ball.
  16. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,337 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, and either Slauson or the Guard from Buffalo and I'am happy
  17. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,268 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    I agree we need a NT but the loss of Lee and Carter were just as vital to our run D
  18. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,584 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    We need too draft a defensive tackle
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Yet another failure of the front office.

Draft players with suspect character, then act like it's just bad luck when they let you down. Draft players that are perpetually injured, then act like it's bad luck when they get hurt every year. Rinse, repeat.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    So maybe the Cowboys should be interested in one of those not needed fat wide bodied block eaters inside and not value mobility there over anything else.

It's not complicated, gang. When you run a 3-4, you need that massive guy in the middle to make up for going with one less down linemen. The Cowboys have been doing things backbleepwards since they made the switch.

Brent was the one sorta legit NT we had. He was developing. He might have been the answer.