1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm on draft with Norm

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tobal, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Norm asked him what he thought they would do.

Sturm said they'd take Barron.

He said it was

1. Cox
    2. Barron
    3. Decastro, but they don't love Decastro at 14.

So he thinks if Cox and Barron are gone Dallas bails.

He kept talking about how the "Cowboys" love Barron....
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking.

So they like Cox the best, but he'll be gone. Love Barron and will take him if there. Like DeCastro but will not take him at 14.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sounds about right.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,457 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    So the DeCastro folks will have to hope that Barron and Cox are gone while Dallas cannot trade back.

Welcome DeCastro!
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Here's what he believes the Cowboys board looks like from Monday's blog post...

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

On Coples...

Ingram...

On DeCastro..

6. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,966 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    We're not going to be in a good position to trade down. Last year, we knew that teams would be hot after the QBs. This year, the good QBs will all be taken earlier than when we pick.

I simply don't see how our spot will be in high demand. But then again, you never know.
  7. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I'm starting to doubt Barron will be there after reading the recent Casserly article. Sorry, I don't have a link but it's on NFL.com. A lot of teams seem interested in Barron, and we're such a prime candidate to be where he lands that teams will know they have to jump us to get him.

EDIT: the article is linked in another thread.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Interesting stuff.

I would think Gilmore would be on that list even though Sturm maybe isn't as keen on him.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Almost as if he realized he accidentally left him off, he reviewed Gilmore on today's blog. Not a huge fan of taking him in the first. He kinda of looks at him the way I do... he's the type of project player you would love to have in the early 2nd, thinking you got a 1st round caliber talent that needs to be coached up for a year or so.
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Assuming we're stuck at 14, who would be your top 4-5 picks by the way? If you don't mind sharing.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I would probably go...

1) Cox
    2) Barron
    3) DeCastro
    4) Kirkpatrick
    5) Mercilus
    6) Brockers/Poe/Coples (blech)

I would probably work the phones pretty hard if Cox and Barron were off the board at #14, but I probably don't fall beyond 20. If no trade partner in the 20 range, I reach for DeCastro and grin and bear it.
  12. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I just don't know how you could have kirk on the list and not gilmore.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I am thinking similar to you. I hope Philly doesn't leap frog us for Barron. I think for Cox they would have to trade up to the top 10, so I doubt they do that.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Because Kirkpatrick has been a dominating CB his entire life. He as the #1 HS recruit and a dominating CB at Alabama to the point it's hard to even evaluate him because so few teams even bothered challenged him. Further, I think he's a perfect fit in Rob Ryan's system of tying up WRs at the line of scrimmage to protect the his inside blitz packages from being exposed to crossing routes and slants over the middle. Those crossing routes absolutely killed us in both Eagles games.

Gillmore is a coverted QB and a raw project who still has a lot of learning to do. You're projecting what you want him to be, whereas there is no projection with Kirkpatrick. There are games like Alabama where Gillmore got absolutely picked on in college. I don't recall too many CBs drafted in the first round who have been picked on in the college level.
  15. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,698 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    I'd go...

1. Cox
    2. DeCastro
    3. Barron
    4. Mercilus
    5. Coples
    6. Brockers

I only put Cox ahead of DeCastro because our defense was so terrible last year and Barron ahead of Mercilus because of his alleged leadership skills.
  16. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,201 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Agree on Kirkpatrick. I'm in the Cox, Barron, DeCastro boat with eveybody else, but I wouldn't be disapointed at all with Kirpatrick. That kid is a player!
  17. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    1. Cox - would need blockbuster trade to move
    2. Barron - would need them to overpay substantially
    3. Decastro - I'd entertain offers and if I got something that put me in postion for Konz or Kirkpatrick and a 2nd early 3rd or McClellin, Zeitler, Hightower (pet Cat) and a early 2nd.
    4. Anyone else and I'd pobably take below market trade to move back
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,813 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received

Precisely the way I view it as well.

Like I said in another thread... I'm not nearly as down on Kirkpatrick as many seem to be. The guy is a big, strong athlete who could match up well with the Andre Johnson's and Brandon Marshall's of the NFL. He is adept at roughing up WR's at the line of scrimmage and could even play some safety in some sub-packages.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rob Ryan absolutely loved Kirkpatrick and stood up for him on draft day.

My list would probably be:

DeCastro
    Cox
    Barron
    Kirkpatrick
    Ingram
    Mercilus

Pass on Coples/Brocker/Poe