1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm: The Morning After: Lions 31, Cowboys 30 (4-4)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

760 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    These Garrett apologists just don't want to hold him accountable for anything.....obviously he's not the one who held, or threw the interception, or interfered on the pass.......but you are quick to credit him when the Cowboys win and he didn't throw the TD pass, kick the FG, etc. so what is it?
    The guy is just in over his head and says you need to learn from your mistakes, but he sure doesn't. Amazing how even he makes Jim Schwartz appear like an acceptable HC, The NFL is littered with fired HC who thought it was not fair, so get over it. You fail, you get fired...simple as that. Bring on the next one.

As for the ship that Jason runs.....its looking more like the Titanic to me.
    17yearsandcounting and khiladi like this.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,171 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    ??????

24 games is not three full seasons, 48 is.

Still, your point stands to some degree.
  3. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,764 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    This is the part that I do not think happens. And with a young team...especially with a 4th string RB and in a hostile environment. You absolutley say 2 things before you take the field. And Romo can remind them in the huddle. Do NOT fumble the ball...and NO penalties. I bet my retirment that NEITHER happened. On the road amidst all the chaos....our multi million dollar head coach and our 100m QB need to do there part. That is NOT a lot to ask of EITHER. They did not have to run, block or catch on that play. They simply have to show leadership. And I doubt they did!
    mrmojo likes this.
  4. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,428 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning told the team vs us in the same situation "we are running out the clock period". His RB wanted to score and Peyton said no fall down. However I blame Garrett much more than Romo because Garrett controlled that situation to the point he was denying what Romo was pleading with him to do.

You cannot say Romo has Peyton-like control when the HC takes the game away from him at the end of games.

I'm sorry but one guy has to go and that is Garrett. For all Romo's faults a ton of capable coaches would have this team winning with him as their QB.
  5. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    When your D is this bad, hard to argue either way on a strategy. When you give up 600 yds, you probably should just try to keep making 1st downs and ignore the clock until you can kneel on it.

If Detroit hadn't been so turnover prone yesterday, they would've hung 50 on us again. I expected the D to be bad, but I never dreamed it would be this bad. 422 yds/game, including 2 of the worst performances in team history. We've already given up almost as many yards as the Steelers did in an entire season when they won the SB in 2008.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,239 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett has been coaching since 2005. He has one of the shortest resumes in the NFL or College Football. It's sickening he was given the keys to this franchise so early. We are all suffering while Jerry's boy toy learns on the job.
    khiladi and Staubacher like this.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,483 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    Then you choose the strategy in which the worst possible consequence is probably a tie rather than a loss.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Garrett tends to choose the strategy that will get his team beat--and it generally does.
    khiladi and tecolote like this.
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,483 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    My bad.

I multiplied three and eight rather than 16 and eight.
  9. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,791 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    The 40 seconds would encompass the entire play clock (and game clock) but what's missing is the punt time. WIth a well placed punt that DOES NOT go into the end zone for a touchback you would've gained another 10-12 seconds. At the time I thought the field goal was good enough and that 80 yards was asking too much of the Lions, but at my Monday Morning Quarterbacking at it's finest it was a no brainer to use up the clock.
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,051 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Forget the last sequence on offense, putting the beat up defense playing back up rookies in the secondary, in a situation to make a stop to win a game is just plain stupid. The defense was beat up going into the game, and got more beat up in the game. Garrett should have gone on full attack and spread out the Detroit defense and try to score as many points as possible. That is what it will take from here on out, if the this team has any chance of going to the playoffs.

You simply can not count on this defense to make a stop at any point in the game, much less in a game saving situation.
    khiladi and Staubacher like this.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    He is completely right. The issue with running it 3 times and kicking a FG is 1) the run puts into play a turnover or a penalty vs kneeling. 2) The punt is putting them back at the 20 or less in most instances. As that point, with around :20 they are playing for a FG and OT. That still leaves the Boys alive. With the FG, you left them with 1:05. Yeah you need a TD but they have much more time to throw into the field of play and stop the clock with a spike vs. :20.

It's really simple and AGAIN Garrett failed and people still have his back. Just like icing his own kicker, etc. It's all part of the process of .500
    khiladi likes this.
  12. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,428 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    Here's the best plan:

3rd down, Lions 0 timeouts - run up the gut, get down, run the 40 second clock. Clock ticks ticks to about 28 seconds.

Do NOT call timeout! Get in punt formation and with the clock running snap it a 1 second left. That way the clock keeps moving during the snap and kick. tick tick tick.

Pooch punt the ball. Don't boom it in endzone just punch it to around to 10 or so outside the hash, away from the returner. He can't fair catch, the ball is bouncing, the clock is tick tick ticking. Maybe it falls out of bounds, or is downed or goes in the endzone and the clock stops.

Worst case scenario there - worst case - is the Lions ball on the 20 with about 23 seconds left and no timeouts. The best they can do is two hail marys which at best gets them a long FG try.
  13. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Perhaps. Or perhaps Idgit is right, and the D would've blown it either way. What we have to be honest about is this may be the worst defense we've ever seen the Cowboys have. There is very little they could be trusted with. I'm more inclined to blame Garrett for the overall state of the team than his clock management.

The FG took 4 or 5 seconds, so maybe, we wouldn't have gained that much from the punt. Or maybe it would've rolled around forever and Detroit has 15 seconds starting on the 1 yd line.
  14. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,840 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    As I was watching the game I told my friends 3 kneel downs and a punt and this one is over . I was stunned to see us handing the ball off and attempt a field goal. TIME was the issue not points. Kneel down and the chance for error is virtually eliminated. After the first two runs I figured the kneeldown is coming on 3rd followed by a punt. I was wrong , but not as wrong as Garrett . To me, this was his worse day as a head coach.
    tecolote likes this.
  15. nalam

nalam The realist

1,275 Messages
    46 Likes Received

This is what I was screaming at TV . Why do they give that much time back?
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    309 Likes Received

I agree Idgit. Jason's decision wasn't the real problem in the end.
    Idgit likes this.
  17. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,840 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    While I find myself in agreement with you two posters the majority of the time, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. In the end it was just a maddening loss. I don't feel this season is lost but it will be interesting to see how we respond as a team.
  18. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,390 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I think youre referring to the wrong drive.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,587 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    Well, we agree on that, anyway. I was dreading this game since the schedule came out. It's like the Lions have us hexed. Going back to that stupid Wayne Fontes field goal game.
    bark likes this.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,469 Messages
    1,831 Likes Received
    http://sturminator.blogspot.com

This should get you to Bob's blog and you can get the O and the D skinny from that one link.

I don't have the heart to even read it right now much less offer any uneducated analysis of zero import to you. So have it you happy Zoner's and Bon Appetit, Chi Hao, have fun yada yada...I'm still heart broken.