Sullivan: From Taco to Irving, Several Encouraging Signs From Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:56 AM.

1. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Today's Winner Of The Internet Zone Supporter

9,781 Messages
    7,466 Likes Received
    I see what you did there

2. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    4,498 Likes Received
    You're right. I somehow forgot about that.

He was the poster boy for misevaluation and nearly never doing well, yet being counted on for a vital role.

haleyrules likes this.
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

12,658 Messages
    5,356 Likes Received
    Agree on Taco.He still cannot disengage well at all and on top of that he is slow off the line.He needs to get stronger.

CowboyRoy likes this.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

21,883 Messages
    9,329 Likes Received
    Broaddus has been saying his strength was the run so far. Not that it means much.

5. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

6,038 Messages
    3,788 Likes Received
    If the Iraqi defense minister ever retires you can take his place.

6. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,361 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    And, work on his balance. In these first games and practice footage, there are too many times when he looks to have done something positive only to end up on the ground WITHOUT help from the OL. Had same issue is college. He could have EASILY had 13-14 sacks last year had he just kept his feet:

7. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,527 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Even the first game, the one where everyone was ready to write him off, he was consistently pushing the OL back.

Noryb and Screw The Hall like this.
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

15,280 Messages
    5,926 Likes Received
    I don't understand how you can dismiss Charlton as doing nothing and then get upset for fans saying what Watt did wasn't all the special. It seems like you prefer one of the players over the other and shade your comments that direction.

I didn't watch Watt, so I can't really comment on him, but there's no reason to downplay what Taco did unless it just fits your agenda.

GhostOfPelleur likes this.
  9. Noryb

Noryb Active Member

665 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    He manhandled the tackle on one play and would have had a TFL but Wilson failed to contain the edge and he appeared to be the first off the ball on many plays. You know what you're dealing with when someone posts that he had one sack and disappeared. The only thing I agree with is that he needs to work on his balance but I recall Fredrick having the same issues the start of his rookie campaign.

Edit: The TFL play was from first game.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    gmoney112 likes this.
  10. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

6,039 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    Yup, he's got a long way to go, but it was great to see him taste success last night... never know what that one play can do for a guy mentally.

stilltheguru88 likes this.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

6,039 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    I hadn't even checked out his scouting report going into the draft, but here's one that I think hits the nail on the head:

Another thing that I recall watching him in college and the past couple of games is that he doesn't seem to have much of a mean-streak, maybe that's something he can pick up from Irving.

12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

28,490 Messages
    21,120 Likes Received
    The OT he played against struggled but Jones did take advantage. Keep an eye in him against other OTs.

13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    I said absolutely nothing about Morris last night. Morris has a history in this league.

No doubt Tapper is in your dreams every night.

14. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Yep

15. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,753 Messages
    28,363 Likes Received
    Yep. That about sizes it up.

RGV_Clos and Hawkeye19 like this.
  16. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,753 Messages
    28,363 Likes Received
    Taco...like any other big rookie will need a yr or two to develop. He did a good job for a rookie.

RGV_Clos likes this.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

50,231 Messages
    13,949 Likes Received
    Love the energy of the team esp the defense. The overall level of talent level of the team appears noticeably improved to me and that is particularly heartening to me.

haleyrules likes this.
  18. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Agenda?

NO, Im just not some blind homer that is looking for anything positive to declare him the next Demarcus Ware. Unbiased evaluation. Other than the one sack, he did very little. The best part is people listing 3 tackles and pawning that off as something spectacular. Hes a rookie, get over it.

As far as Watt, I actually saw the two sacks. And again, Im not some blind homer that cant say something positive about another team.

19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

15,280 Messages
    5,926 Likes Received
    After I went back and rewatched the first half focusing on Charlton, I agree that he didn't do that much. He had the sack, which was a good move to take advantage of the OT's first step and he beat his man again inside while playing RDE on a run play (where the back was able to dodge the penetration because no one else got any), but other than that, I thought his penetration in the first game was better.

The main difference in this game is him using an inside more effectively on those plays. In the Hall of Fame game, he kept going to the outside of the RT and then not knowing how to finish.

I do think your evaluation of his play is an oversimplification that does not appear to be unbiased evaluation because you seem to belittle what positives were there and focus on the negatives while I don't see you doing the same for Watt.

20. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

6,038 Messages
    3,788 Likes Received
    Funny how you recall Watt's sacks. First one he was stuck like glue on the LT and because of inside pressure the QB had to move up and basically ran into Watt. THe second one Watt was left completely untouched, and not by anything he did. Somehow those two things impressed you.

From NFL.com:

Watt's first two sacks were mostly acts of circumstance. The first was a result of Giantsquarterback Josh Johnson getting flushed toward Watt. The rookie did a nice job to disengage from his block to pounce on the free meal. On the second, Watt was unblocked. The play looked like a screw up on the outside by New York on what should have been a receiver screen -- left tackle Ereck Flowers sprinted to block the outside as was his job on the play.

"Those will probably be the two easiest sacks of his [NFL career]," coach Mike Tomlin told KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh at halftime.