1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Talking cowboys 2/20

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 21, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,794 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    * On Romo, You take his 16.7 mil and stretch that over the length of a 5-6 yr deal and you can reduce his deal to about 5-6 mil for 2013.

* In Spencers case, the Cowboys probably look at it, as if can you afford two demarcus wares? In terms of money.

* Signing spencer would probably affect the Cowboys ability to resign Dez, Carter, Lee

* Broaddus: "i think Dallas could go out in the draft and find a guy that can replace Spencer"

* Crawford could play LDE with consistency.

* LOL broaddus and Mickey get into it. You people should watch this. Funny stuff.

* Broaddus, while the OL had problems the lack of a running back who could carry the load hurt more when Murray got hurt.

* Those expecting vets in Fa for vet minimum dont expect any until training camp. probably too late.

* Broaddus: if Dallas was in the mid 20s in the 1st round Brakley would be a good pick.

* Dallas will probably go Rb in the draft, would be ideal to go in the 4th but probably might need to go 3rd.

* Rowan: i have a hard time seeing hatcher coming off the bench. With the yr he had hard to see him not being a starter.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I don't see why not.

Plenty of teams have found solid players in the 2nd and 3rd round. Justin Houston is a great example in Kansas City.

I think Dallas needs to not look at it like they are creating some hole. I've said multiple times that the idea of "creating a hole" is just flat out stupid. The hole is already there as Spencer is not under contract. In that respect, the hole exists just as it does for other positions.

I think Dallas needs to look at getting the OL fixed, first and foremost. And I don't mean by bringing in castoffs or backups for other teams. Get good players and draft someone high.

This offense and entire team would be so much better off with an OL that it's almost insane that they have passed on the chance to fix it multiple times.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    The idea is to replace one of the better defensive players in the NFL with the draft not just put someone out there. Half of first rounders bust out. Third rounder?

Who was better on defense last year than Anthony Spencer? You might be able to say Ware but Hatcher, Lee, Carter, and Carr certainly were not.

Calling it a 'hole' or whatever you like is just semantics. I think it's undeniable that the Cowboys are a much better defense with him in the front 7.
  4. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Let's tap the brakes a little.
  5. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,626 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Why don't you take the same stance on O-line or any of our other needs? Surely teams find those players in the latter rounds every year.
  6. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Maybe because this team has shown a serious inability to do just that.

If they could actually get that job done, they wouldn't be in the very situation that they are now.
  7. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

Does Spencer do more for the team than the two upgrades along the OL that could be had with the same amount of money?

I don't think he does.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,966 Messages
    5,002 Likes Received
    That's a risky proposition.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    He made the probowl and it was not because of reputation. I am not saying he is the best there is but he is without a doubt one of the better defensive players in the league.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Who are we going to sign? You think you are going to get LeVitre for less than $5m AAV. We both know the top tackles are going to be more than that.

It seems like you are not even looking at options before you decide.
  11. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    So Levitre is 5M.

How much is Spencer? After all, he's one of the better defenders in the league, right?

How much is that worth?
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    I have no idea what Levitre is worth.

Last year Grubbs was the #2 OG on the market and got over $7m AAV. Carl Nicks got nearly $10m AAV.

We could probably get a whole lot of Livings/Bernadeau types for the cost of what it will take to sign Spencer.

I don't see how that helps us win ballgames.

How do you think Spencer made the probowl?
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,181 Messages
    5,663 Likes Received
    You pay Spencer. You pay Romo. You pay Ware. You pay Carr. You pay Ratilff.

What is left for the future (Dez, Lee, Smith, etc.)?

I don't think anybody is questioning whether Spencer the player deserves the money but I mean damn, we have to start thinking about the long-term future eventually on some of these big deals we are handing out every year. We can't be living on the brink of salary cap hell every single year....we need to get it under control by making tough decisions like letting Spencer walk and drafting some replacements. It is doable. Houston let Mario Williams walk and drafted JJ Watt and Brooks Reed in 2011 as his replacements. This front office needs to start making smart decisions like this instead of handing out big contracts to 30 yr old players every time they are up.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,794 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    If Dallas cant work out a contract they find acceptable with Romo they will trade him. Atleast i get that feeling from SJ. But i dont think it'll come to that.

Dallas would be better with Spencer in 2013. but keeping him probably means Dallas doesnt sign one of the 3 players that will be coming up in Dez, Carter or Lee. I dont think any player is that valuable.

I think Dallas used its previous dealings with Kosier and thought it would work with Livings and Bernadeau. Then again it is only the first yr. I dont think this team is going to give up on them that fast. They probably wont draft a guard in RD1 but i think they will draft for competition. then theres Kowalski.

I would be fine with a OL of

Smith|Kowalski|Costa|Bernadeau|Fluker

Then draft a player like Khaled Holmes to develop.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    This seems to be a common refrain but I have yet to see any analysis that merits these fears. Lee is a FA next year. Will signing Spencer preclude us from resigning him?

Bryant, Carter and Smith are FA the following year. Will it preclude us from signing them?

I don't know that Ratliff and Austin are going to be at issue in 2015 when it comes time to resign those guys.

It's fun to ideologically say that signing a guy to a large contract is bad. What I am more interested in seeing various scenarios that get into specifics.

The conventional wisdom 2 months ago was that we would not even be able to resign him if we wanted to. I think a view into specifics put that notion away.

I am more interested in specifics than handwringing over uncertainty.
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,181 Messages
    5,663 Likes Received
    I cannot predict the future contracts of those young players but yes, any money given to Spencer in a big deal will ultimately llmit the flexibility to sure up those players and fill some of the numerous holes on this team. I think if we are the Niners right now with a stacked roster and one or two holes on this team then I would feel differently about signing Spencer. Investing $20 million/yr (17% of the cap) on two 30 yr old defensive ends when we have holes at starting positions all over the oline and depth issues in nearly every position group on the team is not smart IMO.
  17. Little Jr

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    By matthews dropping out. I'm not sayin he's garbage but one of the better denfense players? I guess it depends on your def of one of the better.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Making the probowl no longer meets the criteria of 'one of the better defenders?'

Only 80 players go to the probowl every year. If you want to include the SB participants and injury declinations then you can push that to 100 for arguments sake.

The denominator is the 1696 roster spots the NFL has to offer.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

16,461 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    I still see no accounting justification for this assertion. I just see you repeating it.

I also see is over 30 when Spencer just turned 29. Who cares about accuracy though right?
  20. Little Jr

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Lol the probowl is a joke. Jeff Saturday made it and he was benched for his back up during the season. So to answer your question, no it doesn't mean much. When everyone is healthy on the cowboys d spencer is at very best the 3rd best player on our d and that could be debatable. Again I don't think he's garbage I just wouldn't sign him fo big money. I rather use that money somwhere else like maybe ol.