1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Team Needs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Feb 13, 2014.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,499 Likes Received
    Curious to see what people order them as. I have:

DT - Ben Bass and Nick Hayden are our starting DT as of right now.

DE - Crawford's return helps and Selvie has something but we need to start looking for Ware's replacement pronto.

RB - Murray is in his contract year and not been a paragon of health to date. Randle might progress but to this point has shown nothing that makes him stand out. Dunbar cannot be counted on to stay healthy and after that it's ST candidates. We are talent poor here overall.

OT - Smith is great but Free is in a contract year after redoing his contract last year. Parnell regressed and Weems is not exactly awe inspiring.

OG/C - We have very poor depth here. Costa is first man up and not exactly inspiring. At guard the pickings are especially slim with names like Rey Dominguez and a bunch of futures types.

S - A first round pick would be an instant starter and tremendous upgrade. For first round talent I would put this right under DT in terms of immediate impact. Jeff Heath was clearly overmatched and Wilcox is an unknown. Church is steady but upgradable.

LB - We have bodies here but they all get hurt. Carter and Holloman have flashed but need to prove themselves. Wilber can seal the edge at SLB and shows impressive physicality. For all of his talent, Lee cannot stay on the field. If Durant gets cut this moves up.

P - yes punter. Chris Jones wasn't very good last year.

QB - Orton is an expensive luxury and developing a guy can take 3+ years so a QB should be an option every year if not up high.

CB - We have talent 3 deep and then the drop off is to BW Webb. I do believe you can never have too many corners and 3 step drops make rushing the passer difficult. Corners are a necessity.

TE/FB - A blocking type would be welcome but is not a necessity. We do not need more receiving projects. Hanna and Escobar need to put up or shut up.

WR - Bryant Williams Beasley Harris make a fine corps but additional depth is a good idea.
  2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Disagree on Costa. Think he is solid depth, though not sure on his contract situation.
    Pessimist_cowboy likes this.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    The top half of this list are all interchangeable if you ask me, just take the best guys we can get
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Wouldnt it be easier to say what isnt a need? I'll say LT and C. Could make a case just about everything else is a need.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,499 Likes Received
    We could upgrade at every position. The goal here was to rank need not determine if one exists.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,260 Messages
    5,511 Likes Received
    We can take a C/OG type in this draft and pay them half of what he gets and have a better player.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I was thinking drafting a voodoo doctor to stop these damn injuries for a change. lol
    dogberry, DallasEast and Rhubarb like this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    Meh. The DL is a mess. RB position is fine in terms of both quality and depth, the only real issue being Murray's contract, but you can find a player in the mid rounds if you don't like Randle (I don't) and platoon them. It's not expensive, and there's not a steep learning curve to it. That's a problem for next season.

We're in OK shape at OT, too. I don't know that Parnell regressed so much as Free really played a lot better than he had the year prior. I've seen nothing in Weems that excites me, whatsoever, but that's not shocking for a developmental player. We can upgrade that, but it'd be with another acquisition like Weems was in the first place, i.e., inexpensive.

QB is a position of depth.

CB, I don't like Webb, but I do like Moore, who you don't mention. I'd like to see us add a low round or CFA press guy with a bit of length to try to push Webb off the roster.
    WR, we need another player who can play outside if we cut Miles, and we should cut Miles. I can see us going WR earlier than people think with DL depth on the board and everybody freaking out in May. That would be fun.

OG/C, we've got good C depth with Cost and Mack both able to play. We're thin at OG if we're not bringing Waters back. We're not bringing Waters back, are we?

For me the needs are, in order: DT, DE (if we cut Ware, otherwise DE gets leaped by...), S, (then DE even if we don't cut Ware), and then, probably, WR. Bear in mind that I'd go twice at DT or DE if the right player at the right spot presented himself.
  9. Alexander

25,260 Messages
    5,511 Likes Received
    If three step drops were the tonic to destroy a good pass rush, everyone would do it consistently. They do not. It can be employed as a change up to throw a team off temporarily, but no team does this constantly.

It can be used effectively at times but all you do with that is make it even more incumbent on the QB to be accurate and get yards after the catch with good blocking after the reception. In other words, the defense has already made your offense limited. It shortens the field and makes teams have to compose long time consuming drives that had better pay off eventually.

That said, the issue is not that we need "more" cornerbacks. You can only carry five-six and have a functional roster. It is not that you "cannot have enough cornerbacks". You just need the right ones for what you do. Seattle does not have a good secondary because they have more. They have the right ones.

We just need a better fourth cornerback than B.W. Webb. His tentative soft play and unwillingness to stick his nose in traffic and make a tackle is a problem.

Dallas' problem is that they keep drafting corners who lack physicality and instincts. They would much rather draft those that are good athletes, but apparently lack the proper attitude. It is a bad cycle that needs to stop. Give me a physical corner who runs a 4.56 over a soft one who runs a 4.33. Especially in this defensive scheme.
    dogberry, dreghorn2 and Common Sense like this.
  10. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    Ben bass And nick Hayden -one guy who has been on IR for the last 2 seasons without playing and the other the worst DT in the league,that should scare everyone.
  11. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

957 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Team needs:

DT
    DE
    GM
    OG
    HC
    PED's
    FS

With all of these needs addressed, the Cowboys would win the Super Bowl.
    mcompact likes this.
  12. Alexander

25,260 Messages
    5,511 Likes Received
    It should, but funny you rarely hear people say "you can never have enough defensive tackles". I guess if we cover long enough and well enough, Nick Hayden will eventually just flop down on the QB for a "coverage sack".
    TINGS21 likes this.
  13. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Want the team doesn't need would be a shorter list.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Seeing as Broaddus said Marinelli told him Crawford most likely will be a DT in 2014,Crawford, Bass, Hayden would be the core on the team right now.

CB Dallas has 4 Carr, Mo, Scan and Moore. BW will be fine just needed to get used to the NFL. small school guy
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    DL whatever it is. DT or DE dallas just needs DL.

If Dallas wastes a 1st on dix or pryor people are going to be crying next offseason. Because neither of them are that single high type Dallas wants. Just draft defense. whatever it is. but IMo the first 2 picks need to be DL
    Corso likes this.
  16. Idgit

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    People talk about the importance of an active and deep DL rotation all the time.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    last off season Hyden was not being looked at as a starter but as a backup and part of the roatation. Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff and Spencer was the expected starters
  18. Alexander

25,260 Messages
    5,511 Likes Received
    And that has a lot more validity than "you can never have enough cornerbacks".

A deep rotational DL won us championships when we had Larry Brown and Kevin Smith starting at CB for us. Our third CB in those days consisted of Ike Holt in '92 and Kenny Gant in '93. The Giants have won multiple Super Bowls in recent years with hardly an all-star corner group.
    Risen Star likes this.
  19. Idgit

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    That's not true, either. You can't have holes in your defensive roster, and CB is a vital position where players tweak hamstrings and miss time for any number of reasons. You put a guy back there with a target on his back, and your DL rotation isn't going to cover up for that.

And that last Giants secondary to win it all in 2011 had three first round picks of the Giants and a former AZ top-ten pick in the secondary. It wasn't until several of those players got back into the lineup that their defensive play picked up and they went on their run.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Get with the program. Three step drops make pass rushers meaningless. It's all about coverage. We need to find more corners capable of covering for 2 seconds in a phone booth. It's a rare trait.

And don't even act like you don't see all these teams operating exclusively out of the three step drop or that that kind of limited offense would swing the advantage firmly to the defense. That's nonsense and you know it.
    4lifecowboy likes this.