1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Teen hurt after taking illegal immigration sign to school *Update- she lied*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 9, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,461 Messages
    4,422 Likes Received
    3 students given in-school suspension in scuffle

By PAUL J. WEBER
    Associated Press

TOOLS
    Email Get section feed
    Print Recommend (6)
    Comments (175) Yahoo! Buzz

DALLAS — A teenager who took a sign reading "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration" to school said she was hurt after being swarmed by angry classmates, and administrators said Tuesday they have suspended three students involved in the scuffle.

"It's disappointing that it happened," Athens school district superintendent Fred Hayes said. "It does not surprise me with the political nature of this issue."

Melanie Bowers, 13, brought the sign to Athens Middle School on Friday as part of a class project on political activism. Each child was assigned to pick an issue and prepare a poster supporting a position.

Hayes said she was showing the sign in the hallway when a group of students tried wresting it away.

J.R. Bowers, the girl's father, said Melanie suffered scratch marks along her neck, face and arms. He said she also had a swollen jaw.

Bowers said as many as 20 students surrounded his daughter in the hallway, and Hayes said others may have hurled verbal insults. The poster was ultimately destroyed by other students.

"She was like a zebra on her arm," Bowers said of the bruises. "She believes they were intentionally trying to hurt her."

The three students given in-school suspension are Hispanic, Hayes said. Bowers is white. Although the school has video surveillance, Hayes said the incident occurred in a blind spot out of camera range but no punches were thrown.

Hayes said that since local media first reported the story in Athens, a city of 12,000 about 70 miles south of Dallas, the district has received e-mails from far away.

He said some messages are prefaced with sympathy for Bowers, but go on to say that the other students "are American citizens just like I am, and just like you are."

"Some of these people are irrational in some of the e-mails that they've been sending me about these young people," Hayes said.

Nearly 50 percent of students in the Athens school district are white and about 34 percent are Hispanic, according to the Texas Education Agency.

Hayes said the class project was not appropriate for middle school students. He said the immigration issue has become so politicized and polarizing that "it's much more than illegal now. It just becomes sinister and evil."

Bowers agreed that the project shouldn't have been given to an eighth-grade class.

"The night before she had this due, she started telling me about this assignment," Bowers said. "I looked at her and said, 'This is a bad idea. This is going to go south real quick.'"

Bowers said he is holding his daughter out of school for a week until attention surrounding the scuffle calms down. Hayes said school officials are continuing to investigate to see if others were involved.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,940 Messages
    2,158 Likes Received
    What I don't get most people who want stronger immigration law have nothing against people who are here legally. If a person is Hispanic and is here legally then great but any person regardless of where you come from is here illegally then we expect the laws of the land to step in and deport these people. If you want to come to the US great just follow the laws and enter legally. Every other country expects the same thing.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    My wife was born in Mexico and came here legally and went through the correct steps for citizenship. She takes your exact stance...
  4. Doomsday101

75,940 Messages
    2,158 Likes Received
    I know a Lady from Lebanon who feels the same, she went through a lot to become a US citizen and to see many getting a free ride is wrong. For me this has never been about not wanting people to come to the US only do so by the rules set down by this country
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    The saddest thing of all is that neither party nor any of the presidential candidates will do anything about it. And yet poll after poll shows overwhelming support for enforcing the border. But the media elites will not talk about it, and anyone trying to enforce the border is called a racist.
  6. Doomsday101

75,940 Messages
    2,158 Likes Received
    I agree. All I expect is them to enforce the damn laws that are currently on the books and give added attention on the boarder to at least slow down the number of illegal’s entering the country. Here is an ideal close some of the military based on the east coast and reopen them on the boarders. The military would have the space to do their training maneuvers and help secure our own boarders in the process.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,461 Messages
    4,422 Likes Received
    April 9, 2008, 9:02PM
    Girl lied about immigration poster assault, school says
    Athens teen could face charges; district says video shows her putting scratch marks on herself

Associated Press

ATHENS — School officials say an eighth-grader lied when she told them a pack of angry classmates assaulted her over an anti-illegal-immigration poster she brought to campus that read, "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration."

Surveillance cameras at Athens Middle School show Melanie Bowers, 13, purposefully making scratch marks on her face and arms in a hallway after a classmate took her poster in a "snatch-and-grab" style, Athens school Superintendent Fred Hayes said.

Bowers had told administrators she was clawed and hit after about 20 students, livid over the poster message she chose for a class project, swarmed around her and wrested the sign away.

Three Hispanic students had been suspended for their role in the alleged scuffle. Hayes said their punishment remains valid because they helped take the poster, but did not hurt Bowers in doing so. Hayes said on Tuesday that witnesses reported seeing the three make physical contact with their white classmate. The Hispanic students returned to class Wednesday.

Hayes said the school is pursuing misdemeanor criminal charges against the girl for making a false report. He also said the school district would consider placing Bowers in an alternative school.

The girl's parents apologized for their daughter in a written statement provided by school officials. They did not immediately return requests for comment.

Hayes said he apologized to the parents of the suspended students. "Those students were cast in a negative light," he said.

J.R. Bowers, the girl's father, wrote in the statement provided by school officials that he agreed with the charges expected to be filed against his daughter.

"I see that my daughter was not assaulted and put the marks on her body,'' Shera Bowers, the girl's mother, wrote.

News of the alleged attack over the poster — and the suspension of the three Hispanic students — touched off a flurry of comments on the Internet and to the Athens school district.

Hayes had said the district received messages from people well outside Athens, a city of 12,000 about 70 miles south of Dallas. He had said "some of these people are irrational in some of the e-mails that they've been sending me about these young people.''

Bowers brought the sign to Athens Middle School on Friday as part of a class project on political activism. Each child was assigned to pick an issue and prepare a poster supporting a position.

Nearly 50 percent of students in the Athens school district are white and about 34 percent are Hispanic, according to the Texas Education Agency.

Hayes said the class project was not appropriate for middle school students. He said the immigration issue has become so politicized and polarizing that "it's much more than illegal now. It just becomes sinister and evil."
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I hope these parents/school officials recognize a cry for attention...
  9. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,565 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    i hope so too. this is crazy.
  10. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. That is just sad.
  11. Doomsday101

75,940 Messages
    2,158 Likes Received
    "Hayes said the school is pursuing misdemeanor criminal charges against the girl for making a false report. He also said the school district would consider placing Bowers in an alternative school."

The school district should do this.