1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Terrell Owens: "It wasn't my fault"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by superpunk, Aug 9, 2010.

1. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5446899

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Terrell Owens believes he should have been on the other sideline for Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game.

Owens, the controversial receiver with Hall of Fame credentials who recently signed a one-year contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, said he was "prematurely let go" after three seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. He's convinced that Dallas owner/general manager Jerry Jones didn't really want to release him in the spring of 2009, but Owens declined to discuss what he perceives to be the real reasons behind the decision.

"A lot of people know what happened," Owens said Sunday morning at the Bengals' hotel in Cleveland. "It was a tough decision for Jerry. I think if Jerry had the ultimate decision, then I would be there. By no means do I feel that I left that team because of talent. Obviously, there have to be some other factors.

"Other than that, I feel confident about myself and what I can still do on the football field even at the age of 36."

Jones has claimed that chemistry issues didn't factor into his decision to cut Owens less than a year after the receiver signed a four-year, $34 million contract extension. But as had been the case in San Francisco and Philadelphia, there was well-chronicled friction between the outspoken Owens and his quarterback and offensive coordinator during his final season in Dallas.

"You have to take the bitter with the sweet, and you move on," Owens said. "Do I think I should probably be there? Yeah. But that's not the case."

Quarterback Tony Romo preferred to focus on the positives Sunday morning when asked about Owens.

"It was a good time," said Romo, who later made a remark that he wasn't a general manager. "We didn't achieve the ultimate goal obviously of winning the Super Bowl, but we still had good seasons. We still had steps that this organization took to go in the right direction."
    The Cowboys, who entered the 2008 season as a popular Super Bowl pick, lost three of their final four games to fail to make the playoffs. The tension between Owens and Romo dominated the headlines during the December swoon, a firestorm that started when Owens and other receivers met with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to complain about Romo's preference to throw to tight end Jason Witten after an interception that sealed a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"There's no turning back or going back or redoing anything," Owens said Sunday of his tenure with the Cowboys, when he caught 235 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdowns in three seasons. "Again, I still stand by the things that I said and what was done. I know that honestly it wasn't my fault."

Owens refused to reveal Sunday who he thought influenced Jones to make the decision to release him, saying he'd been down that road before. He said he's bothered by the perception that his presence was disruptive in the Cowboys' locker room, saying the situation was blown out of proportion.

Several Cowboys still consider Owens a close friend. About an hour after Owens' media session, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman described Owens as "a role model teammate."

When the Bengals and Cowboys crossed paths at the Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon, several former teammates greeted Owens with hugs and handshakes.

"The guys in that locker room, they know," Owens said. "It was an eerie feeling, a good feeling, to see a lot of the guys come and embrace me as they walked into the Hall yesterday. That shows you right there that they know it wasn't me."

Owens spent last season with the Buffalo Bills. Playing with three different quarterbacks, he caught 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns, his worst production for a full season in a decade.

With Miles Austin emerging as a Pro Bowl receiver, Romo experienced arguably his best season in the NFL. He set a franchise record with 4,483 passing yards, threw for 26 touchdowns and drastically reduced his turnover total to lead the Cowboys to the NFC East title and their first playoff win in 12 seasons.

Owens discussed at length several topics during his 32-minute conversation with reporters Sunday morning, including his relationships with Cincinnati receiver Chad Ochocinco and quarterback Carson Palmer, his optimism about the 2010 season and the uncertainty about whether this will be the last season in his career. Owens continued talking after a Bengals public relations official interrupted the session to give Owens the opportunity to leave.

But Owens had only a brief answer when asked if his relationship with Romo had reached the point where they needed to part ways.
    "I don't know," Owens said. "I don't really have too much to say about that."

Owens finished with two receptions for 18 yards in a short stint for during Sunday night's 16-7 loss to the Cowboys.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    God I'm glad he is gone. Let it go TO move on, it is never you.
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    next year they will write the same article in whatever city he is in then and he plays the bengals.

I am sure there will be a number of backups and rookies that fall in love with him in cincy also.
  4. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

7,012 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    nothing is ever T.O's fault......T.O is completely delusional!!! In interviews with every cowboy player, they all have stated over the last year that the locker room is a such a different and better place.....hmmm I wonder who they were all referring too..
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,273 Messages
    5,521 Likes Received
    There won't be a next year for Owens.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    lol....the whole article is basically Terrell Owens talking about the Dallas Cowboys.

Why don't we move it to the NFL Zone?

Brilliant.
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He's not a Cowboy and once the season starts the Fan Zone is only about the Cowboys.
  8. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That makes sense, and obviously this article has nothing to do with the Cowboys. So I get it now.
  9. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,096 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Funny how drama seem to follow the guy everywhere he goes but it's never his fault
  10. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It's about TO just like everything that comes out of his mouth.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    Since when does Jerry not hold the ultimate decision?
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    2am at the local bar, Stephen Jones is then given control at that point. :laugh2:
  13. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    We're better off without him. There's no denying that. I can also see what you're saying about rookies and backups looking up to him.

But, Demarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Bradie James and Terrance Newman certainly thought he was a heavy also. The rest of our WR core also and still do. Apparently Carson Palmer thinks a bit of him too.

I'm thinking those are some pretty good vets on the other side of the ball respecting him. He hasn't helped his cause in the media for the greatest portion of his career but at this point no matter what he does, he'll be something for them to chew on.
  14. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

Yeah except bradie, ware, ratliff etc.. had enough of him.

Did you hear how ware and james talked about him...they never named him but it was obvious. In the offseason going into last year those guys let it out and without that moron on the team and a few more clowns they both said it was a team atmosphere again.

The man is hated or thought poorly of in every locker room he has been in by veterans. Its always the rookies and backups that like the guy and there is a reason for that, they cant stand up to him and dont attempt to so they just agree and go along with him.

You dont get into a fist fight with hugh douglas in philly and nearly a fist fight with witten in Dallas because you are a good guy.
  15. AKATheRake

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Or when the next good piece of tail walks by. :lmao2: Still wouldn't have any other owner.
  16. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I'm with you, I like Jerry and when I look around at this team we have I think Jerry has done very good job.
  17. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Palmer is ok with him right now. We'll see what happens after MeO throws him under the bus.
  18. AKATheRake

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    No doubting that. The man is an egomaniac. We did need some attitude though at the time. He was just too much though. Even for us.

But dealing with that beast, believe it or not, has made these players stronger. There is no animal they seem afraid of after seeing him. There was some good out of it.

We were soft personality wise before last year. From coach down. This whole team seems more poised and mentally stable. Call it less distraction, Yes and also chalk it up to experience.

Whether that be from dealing with beasts, winning a playoff game or just growing into professionals all together. They don't seem soft anymore. That's coach down to players.
  19. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    It is easy to be a good teammate when all is running smoothly but you find out the true character of a person during the hard times. Over the course of 16 games most teams will hit a bump in the road when Cinn hits that bump is where we will see how they deal it.
  20. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

Laufenberg put it best back in 08.

Owens is the guy you invite to your house. Then he sets it on fire, calls the fire department and exclaims thank god you guys are here.