1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Terrible offensive game plan

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Jan 1, 2013.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,322 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Haslett: We're going to blitz you until you beat it.

Garrett: We're going to rely on our weak protection to pick up the blitz so we can burn you downfield.

Where were the draw plays, the screens, the quick slants that take advantage of overagressive defenses?
  2. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,767 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    What do screen mean? :lmao2:
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Yes, two things are certain; Romo did not have a good game (for once in about 6 games) and we were out coached on both sides of the ball.
  4. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,719 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    One of the main reasons Romo didn't have a good game was because what Haslett was doing to him. According to Broddaus, Redskins blitz Romo 61% of the snaps.

It looks like Haslett did what Jim Johnson(Eagle's old DC) used to do. Zone Blitz Romo until you can beat it. It worked. Romo and JG had no answers for it.

Romo getting blitzed is nothing new. JG saw it first hand during the 44-6 rape job Eagles did to us few years back. JG didn't have the answers back then and he didn't have any on Sunday night.
  5. Soth

Soth Active Member

334 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Garrett said during his press conference that guys have to make plays to beat the blitz. So according to him, it was not his fault.

That is what scares me about Garrett. Is this just what he says to the media? Or does he really think his gameplan was great and it's all the players fault? I have no problem if he does not want to give information to the media, but I am concerned he is just too stubborn.

It's true that guys have to make plays, but Garrett also has to understand our players' weaknesses and gameplan around that.
  6. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,719 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    If he didn't mean it, he should have learned it from the 44-6 beating he got from the EaGirls few years back.

He didn't so I think JG does believe he has a great plan and it's player's fault.
  7. Cas2800

Cas2800 Member

364 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    How about a quick bubble screen pass to
    Harris? Very poor job on the quick passes to the outside.
  8. popp1234

popp1234 Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I went from being a Garrett homer to really despising this guy as a game manager and play caller. It's amazing. Even win they win, his in-game decisions leave me scratching my head. To me, Garrett is a politician, not a battle harden General. Boy, was I wrong about Garrett.
  9. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

The 44-6 is the tapestry on how you screw this clowns life.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

13,889 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    This is nothing new.

Garrett gets outcoached almost every freaking game, he makes almost no adjustments, and the team is so unprepared that we fall behind, sometimes by multiple scores, in every freaking game.

The fact that he was totally owned by Hasslet is no surprise.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,966 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    They tried at least a few screens. There was a great set up to Harris, but the DE read it and would have intercepted. I guess the Redskins defensive guys knew that trick for beating the blitz as well.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    Its a sad reality, and all we can do is hope he gets better. Meanwhile we get to read from the Pro Red crowd how he has changed the culture and has everything in the process moving in the right direction as he builds the foundation for a 20 year Tom Landry like run of success.
  13. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,764 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    The most creative gameplan seemed to be against the Steelers. For once we looked like we went off script. And the players also seemed to be more alert and focused. I truly believe that stemmed from the respect we have for LeBeau and the Steelers in general. Garrett challenged and stretched himself/players for that game. Most of the other times....we simply rely on talent to overwhelm the opponent. In a winner take all game...I like the defensive game plan. I liked that we were going to force Morris to beat us on the ground as opposed to RG3 beating us with 70 yard bombs. What I did NOT like was the offensive game plan. The sense of urgency to score was lacking. From the beginning. Almost looked like we said "we will score when necessary" If Garrett respected the Redskins like he did the Steelers, the outcome would have been different. In a winner take all game he should have been prepared to score everytime he touched the ball...and he simply was not. The offense entered the game with EVERYONE healthy. And it was the strongest side of the ball. And yet they did not go after the Skins. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,176 Messages
    1,436 Likes Received
    Yes, that's what he believes. Common theme with this guy.
  15. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,881 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Doubt Garrett will ever get to the point that he has any accountability. Would love to see him at-least give up the play calling duties, but his ego could never go for that. And it will be his eventual downfall.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I recall us running ONE screen pass (to a WR) and it was a type of screen we've never been efficient at running.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,870 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't take pressure off of his oline. I had this complaint all year.

He's fine with teams tee'ing off on us and does not call plays to slow them down.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,334 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Changing the culture and being a good coach don't have to be mutually exclusive, and in this case, I don't think they are.

This team has a different feel than it has in years past, even if execution and focus weren't always there.

I think JG can be a very good HC, but he's not right now, and he never has been a good OC. With another football mind in their calling plays, this team could seriously fly imo.

The fact that JG tries to beat the blitz with big plays, and not quick developing ones to consistently beat it is just a microcosm of his whole approach. He has 0 patience for letting things develop, not just in a play, but in a game. A run game, even if it isn't super effective, can wear a defense down to open things up in the fourth quarter and can be backbreaking later. He abandons it constantly once we get down a score. It's the same way with the passing game, it seems like he just wants to get big plays down the field, rather than be content with moving the chains.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,870 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    Listening to Broadus on Talking Cowboys and he is saying the middle of the field was wide open the hole night and we kept trying to pass to the sideline over and over.
  20. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,696 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    ...one huge advantage the Skins had that day.

It was on display for all to see, but quite frankly was ignored by the media and almost all of the posters on this forum.

London Fletcher.

This guy was a onfield DC for the Skins. I don't ahve all-22 film, but I would be real interested to hear from the guys who do have access on the bait and switch alignments he and Haslett devised as ongoing game adjustments.

I was really impressed with the ones I could catch.