1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texans cut RB Cierre Woods

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,832 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    Man this kid looked good in preseason. We should take a look. Apparently he violated some team rules.
  2. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Active Member

836 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Sounds like he's not a RKG. ;)
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 15m
    Texans have 3 roster openings cause Wood, Montgomery and Jefferson released. Wood and Jefferson had off-the-field issues in college.
    Texans need a veteran ILB 2 replace Brian Cushing. They also need a 3rd RB. Obviously, Gary Kubiak doesn't take kindly to rules violations.

Nick Mathews ‏@Nick_Mathews 12m
    #Texans cut Cierre Wood, Sam Montgomery, Willie Jefferson for violating team rules, sources tell @McClain_on_NFL. http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/source-texans-waive-rookies-due-to-violations-of-team-rules/…
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Ciere woods is way better(i mean WAAAAYYY better than philip tanner,this seems too good to be true.
    fifaguy and Zordon like this.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    According to the report, all three were sent home Sunday morning, and were among the players the Texans made inactive for yesterday’s loss to the Chiefs.

Montgomery was a third-round pick this year, but had disappointed with a chance to win substantial playing time. Coach Gary Kubiak’s frustration with Montgomery goes back months, to when he reported to training camp out of shape.

Of course, they probably shouldn’t have been surprised, since he admitted a lack of effort at LSU, and he was one of the players there coaches tried to shame into showing up for workouts.

Wood and Jefferson were first-year players, and Jefferson had reportedly been kicked out of Baylor for failing multiple drug tests.

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/21/texans-make-a-statement-by-releasing-three/
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    i doubt very much we want a guy who was kicked off the Texans for violating team rules ... this on the heels of a college career where he missed several games for violating rules
    EMMITTnROY likes this.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,832 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    ugh i hate that term. rkg got us matt johnson and danny coale. lets be serious about addressing this running back issue. cierre woods ran all over us in our preseason game. cowboys need to stop with the rkg nonsense and just worry about getting talent. if the coaching leadership and player leadership is good then he will fit right in.
    fifaguy and Texas_Pete like this.
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,487 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    I heard from a Texans fan that this guy tends to show up drunk/high for practice and games. If so, no thanks.
  9. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    HA .so the Texans cut these guys for smoking a cigar in the hotel room in KC??? I am not buying this explanation especially since Montgomery is a 3rd rd pick.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  10. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,452 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Don't act like you can't figure out what was in that cigar.
  11. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,738 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    Depends on what kind of cigar.

[IMG]
    Common Sense likes this.
  12. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,115 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Bring in both Cierre Woods and Sam Montgomery. Woods brings a speed element missing right now with Dunbar out. And Montgomery has to be more talented than Vega. It's the Last Chance Saloon, if these guys don't cut it here at the end of the bench, they may be out of the league. Redemption comes calling in the shape of the Star.
  13. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,508 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Didn't Foster and Tate get hurt this past week? So, let me get this right. We are supposed to cut Tanner and get some RB who 'ran all over us' in a meaningless preseason game and a player the desperate-for-RBs Houston Texas just kicked to the curb? And the guy just so happens to be a rumored nut case who likes illegal substances.

Yeah, sure. I think I'll pass on this opportunity.
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,375 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Whatever one wants to call it (RKG), I like the philosophy. I'd rather have guys with less talent that love the game, study it relentlessly, work their ***** off and never quit over guys who have relied on talent their entire lives and aren't willing to put in the work & study to excel in the NFL. Add in immature nonsense or even illegal activities that put a team at risk for losing a player they planned to rely on and I'd want to avoid these type of guys like the plague. We've seen an example of this with a guy like Josh Brent and how our current D-line problems are magnified by his absence.

Sometimes in life people have to fall on their face and be completely humbled before they realize they want & need to change their lives (Ernie Sims sounds like this type of guy, Chris Carter was as well). That's when I'd consider a questionable character type player with a team friendly deal that is low risk and easy to cut if they don't pan out.

These guys sound too young to have learned that lesson yet.
    Titleist likes this.
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,115 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I believe most just want the Cowboys to work them out. Both players are still PS eligible as well. I applaud the Cowboys efforts in continuously churning the bottom of their roster. Staying status quo is worse than stupid.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    OK, lets be serious. We don't know exactly what the offense is and if it's drug related, I am not in favor of bringing him in with at least 1 strike against him.
  17. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

1,912 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Unless Tanner is getting cut. We have our 4.
  18. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Montgomery won't get thru waivers. He is a 43 end and has no business at olb.
  19. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,738 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    As a Notre Dame fan, I'm not a huge fan of Cierre Wood. He doesn't run tough inside, and definitely has motivation issues.

From what I can gather from Montgomery's behavior over the last year, he needs to be humbled a bit. I would consider bringing him in during the offseason where he has to fight it out with 89 other guys to make the team, but not now. Montgomery is more talented than a lot of players on the Cowboy DL, but he has had his issues over the last year. When a coach like Les Miles, a players coach if I have ever seen one, is calling you out over work ethic, then there is a problem.
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,115 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Montgomery is not a traditonal RDE in a 4-3 IMO. He has filled out his lanky frame and is at 270 plus now. He is a strongside DE and eventually a 3 tech DT. His 4.8 40 and lack of explosion off the snap may transition him inside sooner than later.