1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texans give All-Pro WR Johnson an extension through 2016

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    The Houston Texans signed Andre Johnson to a two-year extension Thursday, keeping the All-Pro wide receiver under contract with the team through 2016.

Johnson's extension is worth $38.5 million over two years, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. Counting the five years and $35 million remaining on his current contract, Johnson's deal is worth $73.5 million over seven years -- an average of $10.5 million annually.

Andre embodies what you're looking for in a football player, Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "Certainly, he's in a class with himself. He's the one guy we'd even consider doing something like this for."

Johnson has led the NFL in receiving yards the past two seasons and topped 100 catches in three of the past four. He has the league's highest receiving yards average (90.2 per game) since 2006.

"I think the action that we've taken, as Rick said, just is a reflection of how we view Andre," Texans owner Bob McNair said. "It's important to us that Andre have one home, and that's with the Texans.

"He's a future Hall of Famer and probably will be our first Hall of Fame player. We wanted to make sure that he went in as a Texan, that he played his career as a Texan and hopefully retired as as a Texan."

Johnson has participated in training camp since it started because he didn't want his contract situation to become a distraction to the team. Last week, McNair said he hoped to sign Johnson to a restructured contract within two weeks. McNair said Johnson deserved special consideration because of his high value with the franchise.

"For them to do something like this for me and my family, I don't think words can describe it," Johnson said. "All I can say is thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, I mean it's a tremendous honor."

The Texans drafted Johnson third overall in 2003, and re-signed him in 2007.

Houston finished with losing records in Johnson's first four seasons as he blossomed into one of the NFL's top receivers. He made the Pro Bowl in 2005 and '07, then led the league in receptions (115) and receiving yards (1,575) in 2008.

"For him to stay the course with this organization, through some tough, tough times says a lot about what Houston means to him and what this franchise means to him," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.

Johnson led the NFL with 1,569 receiving yards in 2009, and he was quarterback Matt Schaub's main target in the league's top passing offense.

"He's been a heck of a player for a number of years, and I'm pumped for him," Schaub said. "It just shows that this organization, from the top down, we're committed to keeping the players who are our nucleus. For him to get that (contract) says a lot about the type of player he is."

Johnson caused a stir during the summer when he skipped three voluntary workouts and brought his desire for a new contract to light. He said after the first day of training camp Friday that he wanted to concentrate on football and put the contract dispute out of his mind.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...an-extension-through-2016?module=HP_headlines
  2. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hell of a player. May be the best WR in football.