1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas A&M's Johnson still growing into NFL-caliber QB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Texas A&M's Johnson still growing into NFL-caliber QB

click link here for full story

[IMG]

Expert By Chris Steuber
    Tell Chris your opinion! NFLDraftScout.com
    Aug. 16, 2010

Texas A&M senior Jerrod Johnson has always been a quarterback, even if it took him to be on the other side of the throw to garner the attention he's receiving now as the best signal caller in the Big 12.

"That's the common misconception; I played quarterback my whole life," Johnson said. "I played wide receiver my sophomore year [in high school] just to get on varsity, because we were loaded at quarterback. I actually did well at wide receiver and got early offers [from colleges] as a junior and received a lot of attention as a wide receiver."

Jerrod Johnson enters the season as the fifth-ranked senior QB despite mechanics concerns. (US Presswire)
    The 6-feet-4, 243-pound Johnson was considered one of the nation's elite recruits at the receiver position entering his senior season in high school. But while he was catching passes as a junior, that same year he finally had a chance to show schools -- one in particular -- that he had the talent to be a quarterback at the collegiate level.

Johnson remembers vividly how Texas A&M offered him a scholarship to be their quarterback. He recalled that the starting quarterback at his high school, a senior at the time, got sick prior to a game and it allowed him to make a surprise start. A recruiter from Texas A&M was in the crowd that evening, and Johnson went on to complete 28 of 30 passes. Immediately after the game, the recruiter approached him and offered him a scholarship on the spot.

Texas A&M was the first school to offer Johnson a scholarship as a quarterback, because they were the only school that actually saw him throw live during his junior year. Johnson didn't hit the recruiting circuit hard and only attended three offseason camps (Scout.com, Texas A&M and Manning Academy) to show schools he could throw. But, Johnson said, "you don't usually get recruited heavily at those camps."

A year later, Johnson took over the reins as Humble's starter and totaled 1,764 yards of total offense (1,151 passing, 613 rushing) and scored 17 touchdowns (six passing, 11 rushing). Even with those numbers, outside of A&M, schools were skeptical of Johnson's ability as a quarterback, because he didn't throw much in the schools two-back, I-formation offense.