1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas high school recruits

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by rkell87, Oct 5, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    A&M commit Kyrion Parker 3 catches 192 yds, 3 TD already. 85-yd and a 95-yd TD

Texas commit Kyle Hicks is now 7-107, 4 TD rushing and also has thrown a 34-yd TD pass
  2. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    2014 4-star RB from Morton Ranch EJ Achelus with 188 yards on nine carries four minutes into the second quarter.
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice. Is there any video of them?
  4. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    hudl usually has some but most stuff is set to private but you can look there.
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok thanks. :)
  6. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    RB Othello Gibson ran for 273 yards and 7 TD vs. Klein Oak

BU commit Robbie Rhodes with a 59 yard TD and 70 yard kickoff return for a TD.

QB and #Sooners commit Cody Thomas final stats: 23-31-0-463, 7 TD

UT commit Jake Oliver is 3-80, 2 TD in 1st half tonight and now 3rd all-time in TX receptions.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    where is Othello Gibson headed?
  8. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    uncommitted as far as I know. This is the time of year that new names start to pop up and I think he is one of them.
  9. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,905 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    I have to wonder if any kid that Holgorsen is talking to saw the WVU/Texas or WVU/Baylor games and now has an eye towards WVU.

We already have 5-6 kids from Texas on the team, which we never had until Holgorsen.
  10. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    well it won't be any that were at the game at DKR because the WVU bench started talking **** to them and geno was the ring leader.
  11. WV Cowboy

10,905 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    LOL! You don't think that might appeal to any one of them?

You don't think that for a guy that age, that is undecided, ... that seeing WVU come into DKR, and beat the Longhorns in front of 101,000 and a national TV audience, and celebrate on the sidleines doesn't peak his interest to go and play for the Mountaineers?

I think there was probably more than one that liked what he saw from WV.

p.s. I don't believe Geno did anything inappropriate, he just isn't like that.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,755 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    I think the most Texas Boys stay home. I think if you go in and beat Texas, that's good but that doesn't mean you will get recruites. If a Texas boy is going to leave, he's going to leave no matter what and he was probably always going to leave. Just a massive amount of pressure for Texas kids to stay in Texas. May not be Horns but somewhere in Texas. It's a big deal if they go to an Oklahoma School and that's about as close to Texas as you can really get from every aspect so I just think if a kid is leaving Texas, he was always going to do it anyhow. If not, it's very unlikely he leaves no matter who you are. Heck, USC, all the big time SEC programs, they all recruit Texas kids and they don't have great success.
  13. WV Cowboy

10,905 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    That's probably all true.

But there is still the novelty of WVU being in the Big 12, .. so far we have beaten Texas and Baylor, if we can continue winning some Big 12 games, .. kids are watching.

If they were talking with Holgorsen before, .. they surely are listening now.
    What QB or WR would not want to play in this offense?

With Holgorsen here, and Luck as the AD, .. there is no doubt in my mind that Andrew Luck may have come here if his Dad and Dana were here when he was coming out of HS.

And there is an example of a Texas player leaving Texas. It happens.

I didn't say we would get a lot, .. I asked "if any kid" may decide on WV after these games.

I am sure there was a kid or two sitting on his couch watching WVU destroy Clemson in the Orange Bowl and thought to himself that he might like to play for the Mountaineers.

I was just wondering if that might have happened on a couch or two lately in Texas, Oklahoma, etc.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,755 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    I am sure there are kids who are watching but honestly, If I'm a kid watching, I'm more interested in Bryan Harsin and the Texas Offense. It's closer, it's going to have more talent around it and it's in Austin and not Morgantown. That's a killer right there. Morgantown is a long way away from anything. Kids in Texas generally want to stay where their families can watch them play. That's a hardship for WV when recruiting Texas kids.

I think you could get a few kids but it's going to be hard. Hard, but not impossible.

;)
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    With Holgersen spending time at Tech and Okie State, I'm sure he does still have some connections in the state.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,240 Likes Received
    Of course he does and they have already recruited some kids from Texas who are already on the team.
  17. WV Cowboy

10,905 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Here are two recent commits from Texas.

Klein Collins (Texas) product Tyler Tezeno 6'3", 280 OL - turned down offer from LSU.

(Brenham, Texas / Blinn C.C.) junior college offensive lineman Tyler Edwards committed to the program.

Edwards, a 6'6" 290-pound mammoth, was in town this weekend on an official visit and took in the Mountaineers 70-63 victory over No. 25 Baylor. He has two years of eligibility remaining and will enroll in January.

He chose the Mountaineers over offers from Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech and Texas Tech. Edwards also received interest from Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

We won't get them all, and won't get the best, .. but we are getting good kids from Texas, now that Holgorsen is here, .. which was my only point.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,240 Likes Received
    Back Up QB Millard is from Flower Mound Texas.
    Back up RB Garrison is from Pearland Texas
    Back up QB Ford Childress is from the Houston area but who knows how long he will be around after getting a DUI in April.

Those just off the top of my head and all since Holgy got here.
  19. WV Cowboy

10,905 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    All three good players too.

I think Childress will be fine.

Young kid makes a stupid mistake, .. now if a pattern continues, .. he is gone.
  20. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    it wasn't after the game, it was during when the outcome was still very much undecided. And no, I don't think that appeals to anybody to have a team talk **** to them during a recruiting trip and most of the kids said as much on twitter. If anything I think it would make them want to make sure they stay in the big 12 so they get a chance to beat the team that talked **** to them.

Think what you want about geno but that is a senior that was the ring leader of talking **** to a bunch of 17 year olds which shows some immaturity on his part. It may not mean anything or it may show a deeper problem with him in the future IDK but may give some scout pause in the long run.