1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Texas senior defensive end Sam Acho won two prestigious academic awards

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,120 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Sam Acho's career at Texas both started and ended with the unbelievable.
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/acho-has-no-regrets-on-how-standout-horns-1106088.html
    [IMG]
    He never expected his final time walking out of Royal-Memorial Stadium would occur after a 24-17 loss to Texas A&M that left the Longhorns 5-7 and bowl-less for the first time during coach Mack Brown's tenure.

"Unbelievable," he said.

Then again, if you told Acho — who won two notable awards Tuesday, the prestigious Campbell Trophy as college football's top student-athlete and also the Wuerffel Trophy, given to the player who best combines exemplary community service with outstanding academic and athletic achievement — that he would leave as No. 10 on the school's all-time sack list and a national award winner, he would have said the same thing.

"I really wouldn't have believed you," he said.

In fact, following his first practice as a Longhorn, Acho called his father, Sonni, with a concern.
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

12,205 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    If we were running the 4-3, I would be salivating over Acho.....He has a high motor, is relentless, lives in the backfield, highly intelligent, strong character, very athletic for a DL....I do not see him athletic enough to be an OLB in the 3-4 though....and he is too small for the 3-4 DL.

The two Longhorns players I feel the Cowboys could really use are DL Kheeston Randall and LB Keenon Robinson.