1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas senior defensive end Sam Acho won two prestigious academic awards

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,118 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Sam Acho's career at Texas both started and ended with the unbelievable.
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/acho-has-no-regrets-on-how-standout-horns-1106088.html
    [IMG]
    He never expected his final time walking out of Royal-Memorial Stadium would occur after a 24-17 loss to Texas A&M that left the Longhorns 5-7 and bowl-less for the first time during coach Mack Brown's tenure.

"Unbelievable," he said.

Then again, if you told Acho — who won two notable awards Tuesday, the prestigious Campbell Trophy as college football's top student-athlete and also the Wuerffel Trophy, given to the player who best combines exemplary community service with outstanding academic and athletic achievement — that he would leave as No. 10 on the school's all-time sack list and a national award winner, he would have said the same thing.

"I really wouldn't have believed you," he said.

In fact, following his first practice as a Longhorn, Acho called his father, Sonni, with a concern.
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

12,048 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    If we were running the 4-3, I would be salivating over Acho.....He has a high motor, is relentless, lives in the backfield, highly intelligent, strong character, very athletic for a DL....I do not see him athletic enough to be an OLB in the 3-4 though....and he is too small for the 3-4 DL.

The two Longhorns players I feel the Cowboys could really use are DL Kheeston Randall and LB Keenon Robinson.