1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

tfydraft:Senior Bowl Buzz- Final Edition

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4492

Though not a surprise entry, Wisconsin’s John Clay is working hard in preparation for the combine. Sources told us he’s down to 250-pounds after playing the season at 275lbs.

- Finally, with the ever present labor negotiations a constant topic of conversation in Mobile and the potential of a long lock out looming, the consensus is there will be a lot of surprise selections in April’s draft. Talented but raw prospects that will need time to develop are likely to fall by the wayside in favor of the lesser athletic yet more “NFL ready” players. Teams feel taking a developmental player in the first few rounds will be a waste of time since they are likely to miss out on rookie mini-camp, OTA’s and a host of other off season training critical for their development. In essence, depending on the length of the presumed lockout, 2011 could be a washout for a number of incoming rookies. This sentiment will be interesting to watch and see how it plays out with prospects such as Cam Newton.
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Note; this is for Hostile, Reality, all zoners that remember the old days draft, like when cliff harris was a rookie, and the cowboys had 120 players in camp.

Granted your only allowed to bring so many players into camp 80 something now i think, but if NFL and NFL owners realize there will be a strike, will this be the time to remove that tag for this year, and bring in alog of rookies, if your regular players arent playing?
  3. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    very much that would happen, and for practical reasons too.

Assuming this lockout lasts well into this year, and by that I mean July, August, the last thing you want is 100 players in training camp. It doesn't serve any purpose because you can't and won't be evaluating them and all they'd be doing is wasting time.

It wouldn't surprise me if they go the other way, as in cut the amount of players brought to camp since practice time is going to be shorter.

This would also play a part in the signing of free agents. I'd venture that alot of unrestricted free agents are going to be signing 1 year deals because of the pressumed shorter season.