1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The 5-2 ...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Banned_n_austin, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    HAha!!

I was actually thinking that!

I agree about the multiple fronts as well. I think we have ton of mix-and match parts here. Watching our D could be a lot of fun!
  2. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I think we're on the same page here ... and you mentioned something else that I agree with, Newman is better in a man scheme. I bet we see a whole lot of man this year ...
  3. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I agree here ... most likely he'll move up to the line out of the 4-3 making it a transition to the 5-2 ...

Depending on the situation, we may see Roy moved up to the line as well. I love the angles in which we can blitz from - everywhere.
  4. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The 5-2 is a great COLLEGE defense, mostly against option teams. OU and Nebraska used to run the 5-2 because of this. It is not, however, a good defense against a team with Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb.
  5. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I really like the 5-2 in certain situations... I think against a team running a west coast offense it would be a liability though...
  6. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

It's actually more of a High School defense ...
  7. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Slow down there, Slappy. I'm not saying we run it as our base. Rather as a situational defense ... more of a transition from the 4-3 as Ravi has stated ... and this isn't going to be your typical high school 5-2 ... it can even become a 5-3-3 with Roy moving up to the box ... it's about the pass rush and getting your best 11 players on the field as BZ has stated.

We're going to get these guys on the field. IMO Ellis is worried about a whole bunch of nothing ... he'll have a role to play, he just doesn't know it yet.
  8. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    whoa hold those horses there dippy I said I liked it in certain situations not that it should be run as a base defense...but I think it should not be used at all against a team that runs a west coast offense or any other that can easily audible into a horizontal passing game...

where you got that I wanted to run it as a base I have no idea
  9. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I actually meant to direct that post to HH ...

But I like the dippy remark ...

:laugh2: