1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Atlantic: World War 2 in Photographs

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by SaltwaterServr, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,303 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    The ninety minute exposure photo is incredible. Thanks for this, Salty...these have been a great series you've posted. Would love to see if they have some Vietnam ones.
  3. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with any series of any war they could provide. They've got an Afghanistan series if you're missing the feel of hot and sandy ****holes.

Candidly though, I don't want to bring in the links for Afghanistan because of the potential for political debate that it could raise rather than honoring those who currently are serving and sacrificing for their country(ies). "Emotionally wrenching" doesn't do the photos justice when you see an 8 year old child bawling their eyes out as their parent is laid to rest at Arlington National.
  4. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting SS.

The aviation enthusiast in me loves the shots of the BF-110's and Stuka dive bombers.

[IMG]

My dad and I just finished up an 80" (wingspan) RC version. Came out pretty well.

[IMG]
  5. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,211 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Now that is cool.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,082 Messages
    449 Likes Received

Sweet!
  7. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. That is one helluva model plane. Built from scratch, kit, or partial kit conversion? How many man hours does something like that take?
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,303 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    Uh, bro...where's the YouTube video of it in flight!? :eek:

That is AWESOME.
  9. Aikmaniac

4,138 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    This is actually an ARF (Almost Ready-to-Fly) which means it comes from the factory ready for final sanding and installation of equipment (servos, fuel tank, hinges, engine, etc.). It still took a solid two weeks to assemble.

From scratch, this would take at least 6 months to build (if you're committed to the build) and probably twice the cost. Usually these kits are made out of balsa and plywood, however the skin of this one is of a composite material (carbon fiber/fiberglass mixture) and formed in a mold. I'll post more pictures later if you're interested to show the panel lines and such that are present in the mold.

The engine is a 30cc single cylinder gas (very similar to what you would find in a leaf blower, chainsaw, or weed-eater).

The Stuka weighs in at 17 pounds.
  10. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'd like to see that. Always wanted a RC plane, but Dad said I would lose it as soon as I got it. He was probably right, but there's an itch there that needs scratching one day albiet on a smaller scale.
  11. Aikmaniac

4,138 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I've been doing it for 20 years. My dad...almost 40 years.

PM me if you're interested in how to get started and what's the best way to do it a) without burning yourself out, b) without spending a ton of money out of the box, and c) ensuring that you get the most out of the hobby.