1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Case Against DeCastro

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by The Emperor, Apr 24, 2012.

1. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's simply that really good centers are generally more valued in the draft than guards.

If we draft DeCastro, move him to center, and he pans out, it would be somewhat of a coup, though I'm sure the thought has occurred to other teams. I don't know the details of why he moved to G (he played C in high school), so it's entirely speculation on my part that he could do it at this level.

He's certainly smart enough to make the line calls.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    because he reminds us of Spears not because he went to LSU
  3. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    well to me is he is not that much better than some one who could be taken in rnd 2 or 3 as a guard...now as center I think he is potentially much better than any other prospect

folks here like Konz...me not so much so I think the person that drafts konz will eventually move him to guard just as I think the person that gets deCastro will move him to center just becasue of body build and the skill set each has shown both these guys got away with some things in college that just aren't going to fly in the NFL.

so if I (me personally)want a guard I am not taken him at 14 as I can find something similar further down the draft
  4. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Can you elaborate on this?

Faneca was SEC Freshman of the Year, 2nd team AA as a Soph., and 1st team AA & top 3 finalist for the Outland Trophy as a junior. In the pros he was a 9 time Pro-Bowler and 9 time All-Pro (2 more All-Pro selections than Larry Allen, the "best lineman EVER").

Color me inspired.
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    So 'not sack the quarterback' was a requirement? Odd.

I can't.

Not when one guy can do all parts of his job requirements well and the other guy can't.

Not when one guy's 'P' word is production while the other guy's is potential.

Nope.

Can't see it.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I dont know when it became the general assumption that any player in the front 7 has one responsibility and only one, rush the passer. If that's the case there are a lot of failed players in both College and the NFL. Heck, there are a lot of Hall Of Famers who amount to nothing in light of these standards.

If you don't want to draft a player that is not a pass rusher then be clear about it. But your comparing apples and oranges and blaming Brockers for it.

No Brockers is not a pure pass rusher, that does not mean he is a bad player. I think your issue is you want a pass rusher, Brockers is not that so it's automatic fail in your eyes.

I understand your desire for a pass rusher but your argument is misguided.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,389 Messages
    1,439 Likes Received
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,486 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    11. Thou shalt not question David DeCastro.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    I think that second point is the most important, there isn't a big drop off from DeCastro to some of the other guards. While I'm still an advocate of DeCastro in the first, you have to wonder, if a guy like Glenn is there later and we can get him, will we see that much of a difference?

I think the value of going DE/CB first and then G second is there, assuming the other guys are in the same league as DeCastro.
  10. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

The arguement is that we need more of a pass rush from our D Line. Brockers is not in any way a sure thing or even close to it from that regards. Pass.
  11. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

I say there is a good drop off. And yes he would be a much better guard then Glenn who has nowhere near the agility and quickness that DeCastro has.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I agree.

I meant to say "IF there isn't a big drop off."
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Brockers wasn't really asked to rush the passer at LSU. I think he can grow into that role. Belichek is rumored to love the kid, if that's the case, then he must have something.

I think the Spears comparison is so wrong. Spears hit his ceiling at LSU, Brockers is a pup and is no where close to his ceiling. I'm fine with Brockers because day 1, he is our 2nd best D-Lineman.

I'm fine with DeCastro, but I'm more concerned with drafting him and then putting him at center. Great he was the 3rd rated center coming out of high school, that was four years ago and the NFL is not high school.

We are building for the future and both these players will make our team better, day 1 and will only get better.

The meltdown on Thursday will be classic, regardless of the pick.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I also don't agree that there's no projection involved with DeCastro. DeCastro played a bunch of crappy Pac 10 DTs who simply aren't NFL caliber players. People are projecting how he'll be able to head up block on Justin Tuck and Mike Patterson. There's projection with every player in the draft. There is no such thing as a "sure thing", otherwise Robert Gallery, AJ Hawk and Aaron Curry would be going to Pro Bowls.
  15. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

That is BS about him not being asked to rush the passer; he did and he did not get there very often.

By the way when was the last Pro Bowl DL that bellicek drafted? Wilfolk? How long ago was that? NOt like the Pats have drafted well on D in the last 5 years have they?
  16. stasheroo

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I don't want to draft a player that is not a pass rusher. We have too many of those guys already.

And Brockers is not a pass rusher. That's apples to apples for me.

Not with this team I don't think it is. As I stated above, this team already has enough guys who 'can't get there'. They don't need another guy who does 'everything but...' the one thing they need most.

Especially when the alternative is an accomplished player, at a position of need, who excels in all areas of his job requirements.

It seems like you're trying to brace the rest of us for the bad news that's about to come.

I hope you're also conveying to your source that - for whatever it's worth - a good portion of people hate the idea and feel it's an obvious mistake.

I am very hopeful that the Cowboys are appearing to be disinterested for purposes of misdirection and DeCastro is a player they truly covet.
  17. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

Your anti decastro agenda is showing. He blocked other then the Pac 12.

By the way who did DeWare take on in College?
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    No one of note, otherwise we would have had 10000 posts from you saying "OMGZ, Teh DeCastroz Totallly Blcked teh ________ !! Bezt Guardz since teh Allenz!!11"

Andrew Whitworth, who later was a 2nd round pick and is currently an starting NFL left tackle. But Ware was a projection. Just like Brockers and just like DeCastro.
  19. stasheroo

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    In my own opinion, the drop of is significant.

The part of DeCastro's game that impressed me the most was his ability to block on the move and on the second level.

His agility, aggressiveness, balance, and especially his vision really show here. He makes quick decisions and hits moving targets exceptionally well.

For me, this is what separates him from all the rest.
  20. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,441 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I thought our defense suffered last year when Brent went down. Our inability to stop the run really hurt us.