1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Coolest Gorilla Video I Have Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,785 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Never and I repeat never harvest silver from a gorilla
    in all seriousness in africa its a sign of weakness to have a gorilla bite
  3. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Yea, if that was me they would have smelled my fear from a mile away and probably never approached or thought me a threat and torn me apart.
  4. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,723 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    By the way the male gorilla pulling the youth away from the human at 2:44... what an almost creepily human-like motion to make.
  5. TheDallasDon

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing lol........most animals are the same if u stand ground they will leave u alone most of the time
  6. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,105 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Man that silverback was huge.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,335 Messages
    1,224 Likes Received
    The gorillas only acted that way because they knew the cameras were rolling.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    Screw that. Only if I had a death wish, and I don't.

Silverback is perfectly capable of ripping you in two pieces.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    I'm thinking the same thing. They're smart - they can be hams.
  10. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,295 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Only two..... Man that took guts to sit there.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    My wife and I were cracking up when we saw that. The gesture was so similar to what any person would do.
  12. TheDallasDon

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Hate 2 tell u but if u run or move 2 quickly, smile, tighten up.....etc they will attack u 9/10 more then just standing or siting in the same spot with out moving, and looking down.

He did the right thing

Edit: and that's with out babies!!!!!
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,994 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I really enjoyed that video.

I have had great admiration for silver backs since one day at the Columbus Zoo many years ago. I watched a big silverback for close to an hour, .. his name was Oscar.

He would go from the swings to the tires, on the bridges, and all around sort of strutting his stuff to see if we would follow and watch.

There was a female with a baby that wanted his attention, but each time she came around he would continuously stiff arm her and move away from her as if to say, "not now woman, my audience awaits me!"

He knew we were watching and was actually 'showing off' I believe.

It was about 103 degrees that day, and so the zoo keepers called him over to the side and were spraying him with a hose. He was literally 3 ft away from me (on the other side of the cage) and was pounding his chest, soaking wet, with beautiful big teeth, tilting his head back and letting out these tribal sounds. He growled so loud one time it literally shook me. It was both frightening and awesome to see.

Some kids were sort of taunting them, .. but Oscar just sat and watched them. The kids got bored and started to leave, and I know you aren't going to believe this, but Oscar waited until they were at the end of the humongous cage where the water trough was, when they got beside it he ran over and tipped it over right in their direction.

I kid you not.

A little later he left the main cage, went through the tunnel under the sidewalk back to a grassy area near where they must sleep. The zoo had put watermelon out for the gorillas. Oscar ate his fill, and then after he was full, he went back to the main cage area and told the other gorillas and they all came over and ate watermelon.

I had to leave because the group I was with was moving on but I could have sat and watched Oscar all day.
  14. Hostile

118,785 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    I've watched this several times since this morning. His smile at their preening is so genuine that I am actually glad he got to experience something like that. His first comment that his heart was racing is understandable. Mine was, and I was watching a stupid video. His calmness, looking down instead of into the silverback's eyes, etc. is amazing. When that big fella snorted twice, I would have soiled my shorts to have him behind me where I can't see. But he was so calm, and thrilled at the same time.

It really is just a wonderful video.
  15. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,994 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Did you notice the big guy at the beginning, where he stops and looks back, .. making sure everyone is down the path, in front of him, where he can keep an eye on them?
  16. TheDallasDon

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Never been 2 real zoo, unless u consider Tyler Caldwell Zoo legit

I love wild animals almost have a unnatural calmness around dangerous animals.
    so my question is the Dallas Zoo good? I really want a good Zoo experience.

Went to the aquarium in cancun mexico and loved it from the cute penguins to the bull shark, and even swimed(swam) with a nurse shark lol

If Dallas Zoo is not the best in Texas please tell, thanks
  17. Hostile

118,785 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    Yep, and as others mentioned his directing the baby. So powerful and gentle at the same time.
  18. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The small ones could rip your limbs off. The silverback could pull your spine out of your body. The insertion and origin of the muscles on their frame give them several factors greater force than we can manage with the same mass.

For those following along at home, lemme 'splain it. A human's muscles attach close to the fulcrum/joint while most of the great apes attach further down the skeletal system. Tense up your upper arm and look where it attaches to your forearm. A great ape's attaches much further down the forearm.

For a practical example, open a door slightly. Now try to push it open by pushing on the door itself about an inch from the hinge. Takes a lot of force to move it right? That's the equivalent of a human muscle/skeletal hinge mechanism.

The ape muscle works more efficiently by pushing the door open from the mid-point of the door. A lot more force out of the same, or similar, muscle mass by changing the insertion point on the forelimb.
  19. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME. As many have said in his position I woulda be quite scared but wow what an experience for that man, the camera man and the gorillas.
  20. Hostile

118,785 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    You know, we tend to think of this only from the human side, but you are right.