1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: The Cowboys vow to support Josh Brent

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,922 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

Josh Brent's name wasn't mentioned nearly as much in the Cowboys' locker room as Jerry Brown's was Sunday. But while honoring Brown, the Cowboys vowed to support Brent.

"As far as Josh goes, you know how close we are," Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears said. "We all are hurting and in pain and feeling devastated. At this point, you’ve got to be brothers, through the tough times and get to him and try to encourage him and comfort him, because there are going to be some tough days ahead. That’s no secret. We won’t run away from him, probably like the world did.”

"We certainly lost the life of Jerry Brown," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "It's just a tragedy that has happened here with Josh as well, and we want to and are going to be supportive of him."

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett spoke to the players about both Brown and Brent, who were best friends after being roommates and teammates at Illinois as well as in Dallas.

"You can only imagine how he’s feeling right now," Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer said of Brent. "It could have been any of us. It really could have. We’ve all been in that situation where we’ve gone out and had a few drinks and then drove home, whatever the situation was, it really could have been any of us in this locker room that it happened to. It’s hard not to feel for him."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/12/the-cowboys-vow-to-support-josh-brent.html
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,463 Messages
    1,126 Likes Received
    Good for them.
  3. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,960 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    If Jerry Brown's family can forgive him then so should the team/coaches.
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    They should definitely give this guy some support...
  5. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Really good to see this kind of response from the team. A very stark contrast to the reactions I read on this site Saturday. That stuff was as judgmental as it comes. Absolutely disgusting.
  6. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

940 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Ehm, hopefully not, Spencer.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    I imagine some of the guys have already gone to see him. I imagine it was emotional. I believe he will be at VR this week and the rest of them will rally to his side. That is what a team does.

Very proud of mine right now.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,460 Messages
    575 Likes Received

I wonder who it was (or who all it was) that bailed him out?
  9. Hostile

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    Pretty sure it was his lawyer. He left the jail with him.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    I was a little concerned by that statement too. It's probably something I wish he, or any other pro athlete, wouldn't say. But, he's being honest. The vast majority of us could say that, at one time or another, we've had a few drinks and gotten behind the wheel. It's just the reality of it..
  11. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess I'm just not that forgiving....good for them though.
  12. Hostile

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    Let me ask you this. If one of your fellow firefighter's was driving drunk and at a high rate of speed and another fellow firefighter died, would you turn your back on the driver?

I bet you couldn't.
  13. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,242 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    These were two guys who did not give a flip about the team.They were out at 2:30 am drunk and speeding.The passenger here that was killed likely wasn't belted, although I have yet to read if that was the case.Sure its sad but I have had family members hit by drunk drivers and almost killed.No sympathy here , the Cowboys just move on with those that care to stay sober and contribute.
  14. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a tough question...one I'm not sure I can honestly answer.

I'd like to think that I would eventually forgive....and all the while help his family if he had one.

...but I'm not altogether sure I wouldn't feel the need for punishment prior to any reparations, either.
  15. Hostile

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    You know what? Given what you do for a living that isn't surprising to me at all. I rolled up on too many scenes where life was gone because of a drunk driver, and I am sure you've done the same.

I worked a scene one time where a fellow firefighter died in a car vs. motorcycle crash. He wasn't wearing a helmet. I was right there when our Assistant Chief told the girl driving the car that he was dead. I knew her too. She was only a couple of years older than me and I played ball with her brother.

I think seeing her emotions taught me a lot of about the perspective of the person at fault. I know I learned a lot when Mike's widow hugged her at the funeral and asked her to not cry.

Perspective sucks sometimes, but it also can heal.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    What a remarkably insensitive post.

One man is dead and another's life ruined. Yet all you can think about is your high horse.
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,537 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    What number you wear, dude?

I wanna look you up on the roster.
  18. Proudmom72

Proudmom72 New Member

9 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    @tomson75. I would hate to have you on a jury deciding the fate of a drunk driver that has killed someone. You'd probably let them go and then have them over for a drink. SMH
  19. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's an incredibly stupid post

How do expect anyone to give any credence to your preaching when you can't even grasp simple concepts. I beg you, please enlighten me as to where I've suggested in any way that drinking and driving isn't wrong. Please....or shut your damn trap.
  20. Hostile

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    I think this is out of line. You don't know him. He's been very in favor of firm treatment for Brent because of the DUI. I suspect him being a firefighter and having to deal directly with the chaos of a drunk driver can cause.

Second, should we all hate to have you on a jury because you will want the same drunk driver executed with no appeal? If not, why not, because it is the same logic you used to leap to your conclusion.