1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The defense has forced 12 turnovers through six games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheRomoSexual, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,793 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Panthers ran the read option 2 years ago.

None of this explains griffin's accuracy last year. And again out of the league in 5 years? This just shows a lack of football sense.
    rocyaice likes this.
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? RGOverrated was accurate last year because the read option worked for him and it sucked the LB up and allowed a bunch if 1 on 1 situations with barely any contested defenses. When he was made one dimensional this year he hasn't looked good. You keep pointing to last year. I don't care about last year defenses caught up with the RO and they've done a pretty good job of shutting it down. See Kap and RGOverrated. Don't question my football sense that's a ridiculous statement and you know it. If you are not going to be an accurate pocket passer you won't be in the league.
  3. Toruk_Makto

1,793 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Running for 77 yards is one dimensional?
    rocyaice likes this.
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    He's been 1 dimensional all year and was not feared by the defense his running did not hurt the defense. He struggled in the pocket and struggled reading the defense and his accuracy was terrible. It's obvious he was rattled. But go ahead and quote stats all you want.
    Listen in a Cowboys fan my blood bleeds blue and Silver I will never defend or root for a Redskins player ever. You like him that's your deal not mine. I hate anything that has to do with the Niners Giants Packers Redskins Eagles. I have true hate for those teams and their fans. So I don't have to justify my position of a rival teams player.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,393 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I suspect that the Saints haven't sustained as many injuries as the Cowboys have. But my point all along has been that under Ryan we had just as much if not more loss of personnel to injuries as Kif has seen this season.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,141 Messages
    280 Likes Received

I wonder if they will take Murrays 170+ vs Rams or Romo's 506 from last week out of their totals too?
  7. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,308 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Neither count until Murray gets 180+ and Romo passes for 507.
  8. Toruk_Makto

1,793 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Wait I missed it. Can you explain again how a qb who runs for 77 yards on 9 carries is one dimensional?
  9. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,011 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    But a football season is by definition a small sample size, from beginning to end, in terms of game averages. There are only 16 total observations. At the end of the season the difference between 16 turnovers and 26 will wind up being important. The average difference will be about 1.63 minus 1 turnover per game, or barely half a turnover per game. But here's the point: that 26 turnover team isn't getting one then two then one then two turnovers per game. They're getting 0 and 1 and 0 and 1 and 2 and 4 and 1 and 2 and so forth. In other words, five turnovers is an outlier but it's also a significant part of the sample size so you really can't treat it just as an outlier. You wanna predict those last 10 games? There's no way to know whether this is a team that got lucky or this is a team that could pull something like that off twice in a season.
  10. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,846 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I for sure like the turnovers. But The last two seasons our d was way better than this year so far.
  11. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Being average in generating turnovers won't get this team to where we (as fans) want it to go.

I would estimate that we'd need to generate at least 30 to make and do anything in the playoffs.

When NO won the super bowl (whose defense gave up a ton of years that season just like we’re doing this season) they generated 39 (or thereabouts), so 24 won't cut it for us.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,292 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    after reading the thread it is funny how some want to down play the turnovers because how many we got vs NY. Fact is Dallas is creating turnovers something they have not done is a while. No doubt there are things this defense needs to continue to work on and improve on but there is clear hustle taking place and guys getting after the ball. You continue to do that then the turnovers will continue to happen.
  13. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,011 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Let me put it a different way, then I'll leave it be. If your 'outliers' make up 17% of your sample size, then they are not by definition outliers.
  14. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,387 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Well, if your first result is an outlier, you are going to run into that problem - as to small sample sizes, the season is small, but this is even smaller. The thing to look at and which I cannot find a resource for is how common a +5 turnover differential in a game is. It has GOT to be rare. Which again, is why I argue for excluding it when estimating the defense's turnover abilities...
  15. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    The D now has 15 TOs through 7 games v. 16 for the entire 2012 season. We also have more interceptions than all of last season (9 v. 7).