1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

The Disaster of Big Government

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Aikbach, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,138 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    I agree, Big Government is bad; it allows big money corporations to write the law to benefit themselves, to the detriment of most everyone else.

Article did make some good points....
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    We must have read different articles. I didn't see anything on size of government or bureaucracy, just the unintended consequences of wrongheaded government intervention, stemming not necessarily from size but the undue influence of the farm lobby and Wall Street.

But, if you're still intent on reducing the size of government bureaucracy, you might want to start with the Department of Defense and the Postal Service, two of the larger ones.
  4. Aikbach

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    The Postal Service is self-sustaining, the true crippling effects are pork spending and the welfare state.
  5. Aikbach

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Yes your presuppositions have a knack for spinning blindly in favor of big government, it is the savior of humanity afterall.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have an idea, instead of starting with that, let's reduce the welfare state first, then we'll look at what we can do to weaken our national defense. Fair enough?

As for the postal service, let me ask you a question. If I gave you .41 to take a letter from Los Angeles to New York, would you do it for that? Complain all you want about the post service, and there are reasons to do so, but it's still one of the best values out there for what they do.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,748 Messages
    7,507 Likes Received
    Big Government is bad.

However it is funny that those on the left think it is only bad in some areas, and those on the right think it is only bad in other areas.

The bigger the government the worse it is for the people. That includes universal health care AND government agencies that have been given power that is no longer in the check and balances system. When america no longer requires a warrant and people on one side are all for it...they have no right what so ever to complain about big government...because they are backing it.
  8. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Big Government" is not referring to the physical size of a government (or the number of folks in it's employ), but rather the scope to which government intrudes upon the private sector and individual lives. Hence, you DID read precisely the same article the poster read.
  9. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Regarding your weak attempt to throw the private sector under the bus in regards to an overbearing government (i.e. it's the fault of the private lobbies!), a government run within the means set forth in the Constitution could *not* be influenced - for it would not have (nor would it attempt to stake a claim to) jurisdiction in such matters. For example, most corporations lobby the government to redress grievances brought about by government intrusion in the first place. Usually the lobbying is for reduction in taxes or granting various tax incentives, relaxation of regulatory standards (or increases in them, in the case of environmental lobbyists), and so forth. In other words, the situation we have exists because our government has set itself up as a distributor of favors in exchange for campaign cash (or certain behavior, like installing solar panels or buying a hybrid for a tax break). It was never meant to be so. I personally think term limits for Congress would go a long way to reverse this trend. Career politicians begin looking out for their careers and personal advancement rather than what is best for the Republic.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,191 Messages
    2,686 Likes Received
    Libs want the Nanny State (as long as THEY are in charge).
    Libs think that most of the American people are too dumb to really act like the LIbs think they should- so the government is needed to tell them what to do. BUT only as long as the Libs are in charge.
  11. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,279 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Man, I couldn't have said it better although I've tried many times here. I've got your back on this and could not agree more. Thank you for posting this !
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Not sure why you would think I have a problem with the private sector or term limits.

I'm all for laissez-faire. It's a French concept, after all. :D
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll admit it was "reading between the lines" to see something you actually did not say, though there are legions of those who would explicitly toss private industry completely under the bus at every opportunity. Many times I'll take a specific post and wander off into the wilderness rambling about this-and-that. :rolleyes:
  14. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Can you say Big Government, Bet you can.
    Priceless!!!!
  15. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I just think you have a problem:shoot2:
    But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it