1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Fab Five Documentary

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by yimyammer, Mar 20, 2011.

1. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,810 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Really entertaining documentary, IMO.

I know a lot of folks didn't like that team, but I thought they were a blast to watch and loved that five young kids were savvy enough to all agree to commit to the same college.

I dont watch much college basketball anymore, it just doesn't seem to be as fun to watch. I don't know if I've lost interest or if too many players leave too quickly to the NBA making the college game less fun to watch.

I don't think it's the same game anymore and not nearly as entertainment.

Have I become an old fart or do you think the NCAA game isn't as exciting as it used to be?
  2. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,758 Messages
    1,858 Likes Received
    I feel you there. I dont watch it much either. Just the NCAA tourney. Jalen Rose uncle tom comment rubbed white people in the media the wrong way more then black people in the media. That was funny
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    The NCAA is not NEARLY as exciting as it used to be. It used to be exciting the whole season, but it kind of stopped once David Stern instituted the One-and-Done rule. Now it's watered down.
  4. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
  5. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,758 Messages
    1,858 Likes Received
    Cause he went to Duke, and he's not in the media.
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Hey, the media loves to hate Duke, so I'm not surprised they didn't jump to their defense. But do you think Hill's response was wrong? Did you read it?

And Mike Wilbon and Chris Broussard didn't take to kindly to the stereotype either.
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,175 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    refresh my memory, how many titles did the Fab 5 win and how many did the Uncle Toms win?
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I think it's still as exciting. I enjoy watching college bball more than the NBA.

If they get rid of the one and done rule it will be even more watered down. Hell Kentucky won't even have a team.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,768 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    I see what (and know why) you did there.
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    You guys need to watch the basketball documentary 'The Street Stops Here' which is on the St. Anthony's High School in Jersey City, NJ...coached by Bob Hurley, Sr. Phenomenal documentary. I watched it Saturday for the first time and was glad I did.

I thought the Fab Five documentary was pretty good. I wouldn't label it as awesome. It started out well, but much like 'The U' documentary on 30 for 30, it became more of a fanboy's perspective than letting the viewer decide for themselves. They acted like Steve Fischer was some great basketball coach which was funny at first...and then they kept pushing that. No Webber interviews hurt it as well. I did think Jalen Rose was the star of the documentary. I think he showed that the way he felt back then wasn't always right, but that's the way he felt at 18 years old.

The documentary acted too much like they were the greatest team ever, which really wasn't the case. In fact, they were more overhyped than anything. They were a really good to great team, but treated like they were Wooden's UCLA team. They were bigger superstars with fashion more than actual basketball, IMO. And I didn't hate Michigan...I liked watching them play. Fischer was probably the most annoying part of watching them play because they were undisciplined. Of course, they didn't have a problem with passing the ball, but they were a mediocre at best half court team (which the documentary left out). Then they focused too much on the very select few of idiot racists from Michigan sending out racist letters about the team. By and large, and it's not even close, Michigan fans loved the Fab Five. Yet the documentary made it look like the Fab Five had to fight against the university.

Like I said, decent flick. I think it could've been better without the fanboy bias of the director. Better flicks out there, particularly 'The Street Stops Here.'

YR
  11. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,726 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Hoop dreams will forever remain the best b-ball documentary ever, IMO.
  12. Yakuza Rich

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I wholeheartedly agree. It plays on so many emotions as a viewer. The creators of that hit the jackpot as far as a story developing in front of them.

YR
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,086 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    That has to be one of the most impressive responses that I have ever read.
    Total domination by Grant.
    ----
    Having said that, I don't think J Rose is a bad guy at all.
    I enjoyed watching the the Fab Five a lot and thought the documentary was well done.

The Uncle Tom comment was made by an 18 year old. It was about as moronic a comment as one can make--completely broad-brushed and racist in in it's own right. Uncle Tom means a black man who is basically subsurvient to whites. I'm no Duke fan, but I don't think their black players can be at all sterotyped like that....they are subservient to anyone.

What Rose said about how Duke generally recruits is mostly true, imo. But what he said about the recruits as people was way off base. Again, that comment was 20 years ago. He didn't completely back off of it, but you could tell in recent interviews that the "Uncle Tom" part ( not the Duke recruiting part) was regretable.
  14. DFWJC

23,086 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    Any self-respecting black man with half a brain who has had success outside of (and even within) athletics would (or at least should) be insulted by that sterotype. It's saying the guys who chose to go to Duke could not think for themselves...or even worse, that wanted to be serf to the white population. Just idiotic.

Again, it the Duke recruiting practice that upset Rise and some of his buddies so much. The Uncle Tom thing was just a kid being a kid. Notice that in the interview later he did not say that again. Instead, he would divert the conversation back to how Duke would not recruit him (and Rose was a good student, but from the inner city public school system) but they would recruit his wealthy son--espcially is he went to a private school.
    That was his beef.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Pretty much this, in a nutshell.
  16. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The people crying about it should be beaten. It's not like he said anything untrue. He basically stated his own opinion as a 17 year old and crybabies are whining about it.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well, there are a lot of racists in the state of Michigan.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,973 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Jalen Rose is a very articulate.

And I think he defended himself well. He said on First Take last week that those were his feelings as an 18 year old. He doesn't have the same feelings as a 38 year old.

And you know what? He's right. Whether the Grant Hills of the world (and I would classify myself more Grant Hill than Jalen Rose) want to admit it or not, that is still the perception within the black community. I have seen it from both sides. We used to play sports in a predominantly black community with more single-parent homes. We hated the suburban city we had to play because they were considered "well-to-do" and the blacks who moved their basically fled our city for greener pastures. Those who couldn't understand the reason simplified it as being an "Uncle Tom." Now, I say "we," but that wasn't my attitude. However, I heard it voiced.

Now that we've moved to that same city (because it has a better school system and my autistic son needed a better education), we're on the opposite end. I tell my oldest son (not the autistic one) that teams from the innercity like beating us because we're perceived as the "well-to-do" city with all the resources. And they resent that the blacks who have made their sports teams better "left" the innercity for the "white" areas.

Jalen Rose spoke about a dynamic many blacks understand. I think this society is so sensitive about race that the moment one acknowledges it, it creates an overreaction.

I can understand Grant Hill's response, and pretty much agree with it. However, I understand Jalen's perspective as a black kid rejected by the Duke's of the world.
  19. Yakuza Rich

12,197 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    And there are a lot of racists in every state in the country. The overwhelming majority of Michigan fans love(d) the Fab Five.

You could play that type of scenario in any situation. You could do a documentary on Derek Jeter and show the letters the Yankees received from Yankees fans who were racist against Jeter. You could do a documentary on Roger Staubach and have letter of Cowboys fans thinking he stunk.

The world ain't perfect and I can understand the hardships that some athletes go thru. I think the documentary made a great point about how much money the school was making and guys like Rose, who were dirt poor, didn't really get to see any of it. But when a very small group of fans are racist when 95% of the Michigan fans are pro-Fab Five, making the story about the hardships of dealing with that amount of racism is really dumb. I mean, what separates them from any other black athlete in collegiate or pro athletics today?

YR
  20. DFWJC

23,086 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    I think you summed it nicely.