1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

'The NFL Beat': Scouting the Senior Bowl/ See Rob Ryan comments

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 30, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    We spoke with Dallas Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan about their needs in the 2012 draft, and his sentiment was very clear. “I’m only looking at DBs. Nothing else. DBs.” It is evident that the Cowboys’ defensive backfield has become a major liability. We will not be seeing a repeat of the 2011 season in 2012, when 10 of 11 defensive starters returned for the Cowboys. One player that Rob Ryan covets is Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson. He is a stout corner who looks a little bit more like a safety, but has terrific ball skills and electric speed as a kick returner. If he is available in the third round, look for LJ to have a star on his helmet next season in Dallas.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2012-01-27/the-nfl-beat-scouting-the-senior-bowl/
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ryan "only looking at DB's?"

LOVE IT!
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    So here is another member of the brass talking nothing but secondary. No doubt it is a train wreck but I'm wondering if this means pass rush and O Line get addressed more in FA. I'd rather get secondary help in FA and draft the other way.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm surprised if he's looking at Johnson. If I recall correctly Rob is big on his CB's tackling well and supporting the run defense. While Johnson is stout and can lay the wood he is not exactly a dependable tackler. It's either hit or miss with him. He does have good corner skills and was one of the few CB's this year that kept Blackmon in check.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,612 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Very interesting.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,490 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Maybe now that Campo is gone and there's a new DB coach....
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    So is Leonard Johnson going to cover Hakeem Nicks for ten seconds while Eli stands around waiting on someone to get open? Ryan has to be bluffing...no chance he doesn't think he needs front seven help.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I have been hearing that Dallas will get 2 to 3 DBs in this draft. Mayeb two Cbs and a Safety.

This is why I don't see Dallas drafting a OL until later maybe round 3 or 4. If Jerry signs Nicks I don't see them draft a OG or C until round 3 or later.

This draft will be all defense.
  9. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I think OL will and maybe a DL. I can see a OLB in the first and then CB safety CB with the next three picks.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,662 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Well of course, where do you think Jerry was getting those "satisfied with the front seven" comments last week...

But considering that he brought Elam in, and Sensabaugh and Scandrick got extensions when he was here (with supposedly him supposedly loving Scandrick in camp), you wonder how many new guys will really be playing. And for that matter, how much credibility he has.
  11. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Defense is already shot to sh*# so we need to go O-line early. Remember, most of your best players rely on the O-line to get it done.
  12. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Rob Ryan is also the reason why the Browns drafted Joe Haden in round 1 and TJ Ward in round 2 in 2010, I think he had a pretty good eye that year.
  13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Who are some of the better tackling/run support CB's in the draft?
  14. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,830 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I'm really high on the tackling of minnifield. He breaks down and wraps up.
  15. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wouldn't read too much into the comment that "I" am only looking at DBs. Obviously Rob is not alone there and the rest of the coaches and scouts are also responsible for looking at different positions.

Remember; this is the time of year when misinformation, misdirection and all form of covert operations represent the norm for most teams. The last thing that you want is for a team to suspect you might take their guy and move up in front of you to steal him right out from under your nose on draft day.

I suppose that if you want to take it as gospel, then that means DeCastro is not even on our radar, eh? ;)
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

I agree. Take anything any coach or GM says before the draft with a LARGE GRAIN OF SALT.
  17. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    MORRIS CLAIBORNE-GOOD WRAP UP TACKLER AND TAKES GOOD ANGLES.
    DRE KIRKPATRICK-POUND FOR POUND BEST TACKLER IN THIS DRAFT
    STEPHON GILMORE-ONE OF THE MORE PHYSICAL CB'S IN THIS DRAFT
    JOSH NORMAN-ONE OF THE BEST FORM TACKLERS IN THE DRAFT
    TRUMAINE JOHNSON-TAKES GOOD ANGLES, WRAP UP TACKLER
    CORYELL JUDIE-VERY PHYSICAL BUT RAW
    CHASE MINNIFIELD-SURE TACKLER BUT LACKS EXPLOSION
    ASA JACKSON-HARD HITTER FOR A LITTLE MAN
    ROBERT BLANTON-WRAP UP TACKLER BUT LACKS PHYSICALITY
    ROBERT GOLDEN-2ND ONLY TO KIRKPATRICK
    MIKE HARRIS-SOLID IN EVERY ASPECT
    DESMOND MARROW-PHYSICAL TACKLER BUT HAS SPELLS
    JUSTIN BETHAL-FORMER SAFETY, TAKES GOOD ANGLES AND FINISHES
    CAMERON CHISM-CLOSES AND FINISHES
    RYAN STEED-TECHNICALLY SOUND, UNDER RATED
    DEQUAN MENZIE-ONE OF BAMA'S BEST RUN DEFENDERS
    GARY GRAY-DRAG DOWN TACKLER BUT RARELY MISSES
  18. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,975 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Moved back and forth between CB and S at Arizona.

Robert Golden is my favorite safety prospect in this class.

I'd love to get him later on.
  19. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that what Ryan was saying was that at the practices, he was focusing exclusively on the DBs... I don't think he was talking about the team's overall philosophy for this offseason... I'm also pretty sure he had some of the other scouts paying pretty close attention to the DL and LBs...
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,620 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    You seem to be the only one in this thread that gets it.

I don't like to be the guy who thinks he knows more than others. And I certainly don't like to be the guy who thinks he knows more than the professionals like Rob Ryan.

But what have we learned about from Jerry Reese and the Giants/9ers/a crap ton of other teams in the history of the nfl? It doesn't matter how bad your secondary is, if your pass rush is strong enough, you'll probably be okay.

Coverage sacks aren't very reliable, but pressure is. In today's NFL that's the only way you can stop potent... hell, COMPETENT, passing attacks. Get to the QB or at least rush his progressions into a mistake.

For instance, Romo was sacked 39 times this year according to the article printed in the news zone (36 according to NFL.COM). However, only 4 of those sacks were coverage sacks.

Your move, DB enthusiasts.