1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The NFL HoF "snub" list is lessened by one

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Draegerman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Draegerman

Draegerman Internet Somebody

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Finally, a wrong has been righted by the selection of Rayfield Wright into the NFL HoF. Wright, who was originally drafted by the Cowboys to play TE, became one of the most dominating forces at offensive tackle in the history of the NFL. He put the "pan" as in pancake block long before this particular description of an offensive lineman ever became popular. What has irked me, along with many other Cowboy fans throughtout this great nation, is that it took the Seniors Committee to finally recognize this great man/great player for what he was (and still is). And as much as this is suppose to be Rayfield Wright's day to be noticed (and Troy's), I feel strongly that it should also be a day to voice my dissapointment about other Cowboy greats that were snubbed by the HoF committee that need to be recognized and take their rightful place alongside with Mr. Wright, Aikman, Staubach, Lilly, Dorsett, White, & Renfro.

In no discernible order:

Bob Hayes - Once regarded as the NFL's "fastest man". He is the one soley responsible for defensive coodinators swithing to a zone package in the secondary, because there was no one alive that could cover "Bullet" Bob Hayes.

Michael Irvin - The "Playmaker"...enough said. The main reason why Troy-boy is wearing a yellow jacket and giving his induction speech today. If Troy was the brains and Emmitt was the soul of the great 90s team, then Michael was the heart.

Cliff Harris - A personal favorite of mine who was voted in as a member of the 1970s All-Decade team. He was an absolute monster out there in the secondary and none feared more than Cliff when he was about to announce his arrival to an unsuspecting ball carrier.

Drew Pearson - Most famous for his "Hail Mary" reception that led a Cowboys come-from-behind win against Minnessota in the playoffs. He, too, was also a member of the 1970s All-Decade team. Drew had better career statistics than Pittsburgh WR, Lynn Swann (HoF inductee), but he didn't have more Superbowl wins - which I believe is the main reason why a lot of our Cowboy greats were snubbed even though they were the winningest team of the 1970s.

There are more players that I could mention and perhaps some of you would like to add to this list, but like I said earlier, today is Rayfield and Troy's day to be heard - and rightfully so.

Congrats to them both. :bow:
  2. Henson Domination

Henson Domination New Member

71 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Should add Harvey Martin to your list, IMO.
  3. Draegerman

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I wanted to but it was taking too much time away from Wright's induction speech - but no excuse. I agree completely with you and from the sounds of it, so did Rayfield Wright when he mentioned Harvey as well. ;)
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Every single one of them plus Harvey all deserve it more then half the Vikings and Steelers that are already in.
  5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,928 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    There are a few more names which can be added to your list, but I feel you, Draegerman. I feel you.

The Hall is an exclusive club. It should be. But it is a crying shame just how blatantly wrong the Selection Committee has been to ex-Cowboy players. I'm even tempted to call it a sin.
  6. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Hopefull some sportsjerks masquerading as writers will be roasting merrily in the underworld someday.
  7. DallasEast

27,928 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    I am sorely tempted to agree with you, but I would be satisfied if someone could b!tch slap some basic common sense into them so that they could correct this very real and unchanging problem.
  8. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    You cannot slap sense into someone who would genetically reject it immediately. Excedrin Headache #357 is required.
  9. Draegerman

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    See ESPN's Woody Paige (voting rights to the NFL HoF) as a great example to this. If you ever email him and ask why there aren't that many Cowboys in the HoF, he'll reply by stating because there aren't that many Denver Broncos in there either.

He's such a putz...
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,035 Messages
    3,971 Likes Received
    Hall of Fame snub list too long (8/1)

[SIZE=-1]12:24 PM CDT on Saturday, August 5, 2006

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    I don't know Maxie Baughan but I feel bad for him. Same with Chris Hanburger.

The two former NFL linebackers both were selected to nine Pro Bowls but neither has ever been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The record for Pro Bowls by a linebacker is 10, held by Hall of Famers Joe Schmidt, Mike Singletary and Lawrence Taylor.

One of the chief selling points for former Giants linebacker Harry Carson, who will be enshrined this weekend, was that he went to nine Pro Bowls. He was a finalist for the Hall seven times, which means he was discussed by the full voting panel seven times.

Neither Baughan, who played 12 NFL seasons and won a championship at Philadelphia (1960), and Hanburger, who played 14 seasons with the Redskins, has ever been discussed by the full selection committee.

That's a travesty. Do they belong in Canton? Who knows? But I do know they deserve to be discussed. Nine Pro Bowls ought to get you to the table.
    Linebacker Les Richter played in eight Pro Bowls and tight end Charlie Sanders seven. Like Baughan and Hanburger, they have never been finalists and have never been discussed. They too have been short-changed by the Hall of Fame selection process.

These players went to six Pro Bowls apiece and have never been finalists: linebacker Chuck Howley, wide receiver Billy Wilson, center Mick Tinglehoff, quarterback John Hadl and defensive tackle Roger Brown.

These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to five Pro Bowls apiece: linebackers Tommy Nobis and Joe Fortunato and cornerback Louis Wright.

These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to four Pro Bowls apiece: defensive tackle Alex Karras and Ed Sprinkle, fullback Alan Ameche and cornerback Jack Butler.

These men were NFL all-decade selections who went to three Pro Bowls apiece: guard Howard Mudd, linebacker Dave Robinson and safety Dick Anderson.

The Hall of Fame selection committee, by the way, picks the all-decade teams. If you're considered one of the best players of your era, you ought to be considered one of the best players in NFL history.

But not a one of those players has ever been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All deserve to be discussed, but all are now in the seniors pool of candidates. Only two come out each year for consideration. It's too late for most of them to have their Hall of Fame candidacies saved.

And that's a shame. Charge this fumble to the Hall of Fame.

Goose
  11. DallasEast

27,928 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
  12. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Tommy Nobis was always mentioned in the same class as Butkus, Nitchke, and Lanier during the late 60's early 70's. Shocking that he is not in. I am also pretty stunned that ALex Karras is not in as well. Of Course Howley SHOULD be in. I happen to think that 5 Pro Bowls for someone who played back in the 60's or earlier should be the bar. Back then there were a lot of great players and great teams- and to make the Pro Bowl was NOT a popularity contest as it is now.
  13. Draegerman

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  14. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Karras was a great player but I doubt he will ever make it in given he was suspended a year for gambling...
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,082 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Goose might have also added that Howley was not just a six-time Pro Bowler, but a six-time ALL-PRO and Super Bowl MVP.
  16. Draegerman

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    In fact, the only Superbowl MVP to be voted from the losing team. Yep, Chuck needs to be on this list as well.
  17. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Hornung is in the HOF. so if Karras is as deserving he should be in as well. Now I might be remembering different, but I recall that he was considered one of the top 60's DT's along with Lilly and Olsen.
  18. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would add to that list:

OL John Niland - 7 consecutive Pro Bowls
    RB Don Perkins - 6 Pro Bowls
    LB Chuck Howley - 6 Pro Bowls
    DE George Andrie - 5 consecutive Pro Bowls
    TE Jay Novacek - 5 consecutive Pro Bowls
    DB Cornell Green - 5 Pro Bowls
    LB Lee Roy Jordan - 5 Pro Bowls
    DE Harvey Martin - 4 consecutive Pro Bowls
    OT Pat Donovan - 4 consecutive Pro Bowls

So many people forget (or never knew) just how good Don Perkins was for us. He played for a pretty bad team back then but made the Pro Bowl in 6 of his 8 seasons. He retired as #6 all-time in rushing yards. He will never be considered now because his yardage is nowhere near what many of the top guys have but when he played he was among the top-3 in the game along with Jim Brown and Jim Taylor.
  19. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I 2nd that motion......Include those players on the list ASAP
  20. Draegerman

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    CANTON, Ohio – I was talking to Roger Staubach at a Hall of Fame function the other day about the lack of representation by his franchise in Canton.

We talked about how one game – either of the two Super Bowls between the Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s – could have changed the face of history.

Had Dallas won one of those two evenly played title games in the 1975 or 1978 seasons, the Cowboys would have wrestled away the mantle of Team of the Decade from the Steelers. That would have given the Cowboys a decade-best five Super Bowl appearances and three championships.

More Hall of Fame
    Had the Cowboys won either of those two Super Bowls, Rayfield Wright would not have had to wait 27 years for his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He would have been enshrined sometime in the 1990s – not Saturday.

Cliff Harris also would be in the Hall of Fame by now. He was an all-decade safety who has been short-changed by fate. Harvey Martin and Drew Pearson, a couple of other all-decade performers in the 1970s, also might be in Canton. Maybe even Chuck Howley and Lee Roy Jordan.

Those 1970s Cowboys would have been considered one of the greatest teams of all-time. But because the Steelers won those four Super Bowls that decade, that's their perception.

And those 1970s Steelers have been the beneficiary of one powerful perk – the election of nine Hall of Famers.

Watching Troy Aikman on the podium Saturday for his enshrinement left me shaking my head. Another great Dallas team is about to be short-changed, this time by its own doing.

The 1990s Cowboys were the team of the decade with three Super Bowl championships in a span of four years. But those Cowboys could have been the team for all decades if Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones could have peacefully co-existed.

They formed a powerful tandem – the business acumen of Jones and the football acumen of Johnson. In a short period of time, four years, that Jones-Johnson partnership steered the Cowboys from the worst team in the NFL to the best.

The Cowboys won back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1992-93 seasons and would have been the team to beat again in the 1994 season. Except that there was a meltdown that off-season between Jones and Johnson. Their egos got the best of them.

The two men decided individually that there wasn't enough credit and glory to go around. So Johnson walked away – or was shoved out by Jones, depending on which story you trust – and the downward spiral of the Cowboys began.

I believe if Jimmy Johnson had coached that team in 1994 and thereafter, the Cowboys would have won four consecutive Super Bowls. And I'm not alone in my thinking.

"There's always a part of me that will wonder if Jimmy had stayed for 10 years, how would we have been different?" Aikman said this weekend. "What would have been different about our team over the course of those next five years with Jimmy?"

I've talked to several Cowboys from that era. To a man, they believe Dallas would have made it three championships in a row in the 1994 season had Johnson been their coach. And again in the 1995 season. That's how talented those 1990s Cowboys were.

Four consecutive Super Bowls? Never been done. May never be done. But those Cowboys could have – and probably should have – done it. That feat would have vaulted the Cowboys onto a plateau above the 1960s Packers, 1970s Steelers and 1980s 49ers.

And Michael Irvin would be in the Hall of Fame. He's been passed over by the selection committee of the last two years. Charles Haley also might be in the Hall of Fame.

Darren Woodson would be viewed as a lock. He'd be to those Cowboys what Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott was to the 1990s 49ers. Emmitt Smith, Deion Sanders, Larry Allen also would be in the queue. Jay Novacek, Daryl Johnston and maybe even Erik Williams would be considerations instead of after-thoughts.

Great players, great teams in the 1970s and 1990s – but the players may never get the individual credit those teams deserved.

E-mail rgosselin@dallasnews.com

REST OF THE BEST
    Here are some comments by NFL writer Rick Gosselin on the Hall of Fame's Class of 2006:

Harry Carson
    Provided the run defense that freed up Lawrence Taylor to rush the passer on those New York defenses of the 1980s.

John Madden
    A great coach on a great Oakland team who suffered the misfortune of trying to win AFC titles in the 1970s against the Dolphins and Steelers.

Warren Moon
    A volume selection – so many yards and touchdowns but so few victories in January.

Reggie White
    He is to the defensive end position what Joe Greene was to the defensive tackle position.