1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The North American Union

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Crown Royal, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I started my research into candidates yesterday, beginning with Ron Paul. I read his entire campaign website, wikipedia page, national congress page, and his legislative proposals for the last 3 congressional sessions.

One of the the items I repeatedly came across while doing this is his idea of 'absolute sovreignty.' He has continuously proposed for the US to exit the UN, and keeps bringing up his disdain for our involvments such as NAFTA, CAFTA, and any international committee. When he says he wants to adopt a policy of non-involvment, he isn't joking.

Now, I personally patently DISAGREE with this idea, however, I kept coming across something I had never seen, the idea of a 'North American Union.' I assume that this would be similar to the EU, and tie together canada and mexico.

Has anyone heard of this concept and, if so, can you give me a summary on the workings of this (is it theoretical, are people actually pushing for it, is there actually documentations of the beginnings)?
  2. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I have heard of it but foolishly believed it was a fringe idea with little support amongst the decision makers. I think I was wrong. The reason we see our ideas on immmigration issues being ignored is because it is part of "the solution".

Social security is doomed to fail under the current system. The easist way to fix a broken pyramid scheme is to widen the base of the pryamid. Introducing tens of millions of new tax payers every year for a while will accomplish this.

Next - our debt is out of control and can't be fixed easily - unless we find a way to quadruple GDP. The easist way to increase GDP is to include other nations in the numbers. So if we can do something like the EU did, and create the Amero, it will allow politicians to continue spending as they have done and allow them to ignore the spending problem for another 100+ years.

I sincerely believe some politicans, and some powerful lobbiest firms very much want a North American Union and the introduction of the Amero. I don't know what extent that support is at - and likely never will know until it has been passed. No way is this the direction the American people want to go in so if it is going to happen it has to happen under the radar.
  3. Crown Royal

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    What makes you so sure of that? I am intrigued by the idea.
  4. Eric_Boyer

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Because if we wanted it, politicians would be certain to let us know they came up with the idea.

Why are you intrigued by such an idea though? Currency manipulation is the largest enemy of individual liberty.
  5. Crown Royal

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    Perhaps it is too new an idea, too alien to our way of thinking that the general population hasn't even considered or digested it. It takes time for stuff like that.

As far as my intrigue, it is too fold.

1 - US currency is bleeding faster and faster. The EU strengthened nearly every member country by adopting the Euro, and I don't see the Fed (which I abhor) catching up any time soon. The fiscal woes of this country are sad. Now, that doesn't mean I am without trepidation of an Amero - I can certainly see how it could be used in a manipulative way. But I don't think, ideally, that it is necessarily a bad thing.

2- I am an internationalist/anti-nationalist. I long ago dropped the ideology that was pounded into me that I live in the greatest country in the world based solely on 2 very well written documents. That doesn't mean I don't love America, but there is an entire world out there outside of this country, and until more people realize that the earth and its inhabitants are not as completely different as they seem to think, there will just be more problems.
  6. Eric_Boyer

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    The fiscal woes of this country are very much based on our existing failed montary policy. Moving to an Amero doesn't solve the underlying problems - it just pushes the inevitable collapse further away - but will also make the collapse bigger and harder to recover from.

As for anti-nationalism, I can't go along with you. Our nation of 300 million is already too divided - red states vs blue states and people are getting more and more uncivil with one another. Increasing the scope of government even further is only going to make it worse.

I'm sorry but your ideas are dangerous and not based on logic or a sound understanding of the history of mankind or economic theory. They are emotionally based as you appear to be in pursuit of a global Utopia regardless of the cost to aquire it.
  7. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I am comletely and unabashedly against an NAU. That said, I believe it's inevitably going to happen someday.
  8. Crown Royal

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I don't advocate the increased scope of government. I advocate the reduction of national individualism and isolationism into an international dialogue. It started with the League of Nations, which was never successul. It then became the UN, which was a very good organization for a time. Now it is time to change again, but continue down that road.

And it seems silly to me that you would accuse me of having no logic or understanding of the history of mankind. Historical trend shows mankinds constant flow toward larger grouping. From individual familyl to tribe to city to kingdoms to nations to international conglomerates.

As there tends to be more of us, the importance of fading boundaries increases.
  9. Eric_Boyer

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    NAU and the UN are not nearly the same thing in my mind.

Laws of the EU take precendent over laws of an individual country. We have not allowed for the UN to supercede our authority but for an Amero to work, we would have to.
  10. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. Crown Royal

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received