1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The number of rookie QBs in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by bbailey423, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Not sure if this is a record...but I am amazed at the number of rookie QBs in the playoffs this year. If the season ended today in the NFC you would have Kapernick, RG3, Russell Wilson...not to mention Christian Ponder in his 2nd year

In the AFC you have Luck...and not to mention 2nd year guy Dalton..who also made it as a rookie.

I know everyone keeps pointing to this big epiphany d coordinators will undergo this offseason to stop this "gimmick" offense. But it is not just about scheme...it is about personell. There used to be a time where you only had 2 or 3 mobile QBs you had to worry about, but the trend is shifting. So teams are going to have to stock pile their roster with the personell to combat this. You can no longer have JUST your starting ILBs with the ability to run and cover...the backups have to have that trait as well. I know everyone wants a pass rushing DE....but these "gimmick" offenses almost negate that with how quickly they get rid of the ball on passing plays and with the threat of the QB to run. The Giants pass rush was non existent against the Skins. The Skins kept them on off balance all day...and they spent more time thinking instead of playing fast.

It appears to me the college game has infiltrated the pro game. I remember everyone saying the option would never work in the NFL because of the speed of the pro game. And we have seen it fail. But what has happened is QBs with the abilit to run the option.....AND throw it have seemingly really perplexed NFL defenses. I have not really seen the Redskins stopped all year. And sure...their offense had a bad game or 2...but what team doesn't?

Here's hoping Dallas take a well thought out measured approach on how they are going to add talent this offseason. Because like I said, coming up with how to defend this is probably the easy part...having the personell to do it is where it gets really tricky!
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    The pistol is not exactly the wishbon offense. Honestly you don't need a big time running QB to run the pistol or some aspects of the pistol. I don't consider it any more of a gimmick offense than the west coast offense.
  3. bbailey423

4,786 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    So are you agreeing with me? I have said for weeks that teams have a ton of film on the pistol...but yet everyone keeps saying they need an offseason to figure it out. And I really don't think d coordinators are that perplexed...they just did not forsee this coming and do not have the right personell to defend it. And the Redskins ran the same offense (with some variation) with Kirk Cousins, who is not as mobile as RG3. And in his FIRST NFL start, he destoryed a Browns defense in their own backyard....the same Browns defense that had us on the ropes all day.
  4. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I agree that it is not a gimmick offense. It is still employing 3 WR, TE and RB as for the QB running that can be a weapon as long as the QB is smart enough to get down or out of bounds.

As for defending it I think great defensive teams can slow down any offensive system if you can penetrate the back field and put solid coverage’s in the secondary.

Really the only things that kill defense are the rules designed to increase the scoring in the NFL.
  5. Boysathelm

Boysathelm Benched

89 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    They destroyed them because the Washington Redskins offense is comprised of more than just the pistol scheme. They're complementing it with the same offense Kyle Shanahan ran in Houston, along with those stretch plays Mike perfected with Denver. So they're definitely not a one-trick pony.

If we go into the game with the express intent of stopping the pistol offense, we're going to lose. Like Baltimore lost, like Philadelphia lost after watching tape and expressing confidence that they can manage against the pistol offense.
  6. bbailey423

4,786 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    One strategy I have not heard discussed is the DEPTH of the ILBs. It is bad enough our current ILBs cannot turn and run. But playing normal depth gives them ZERO chance when they make a false step forward. I would much rather let Alfred Morris beat you with 4.5 yard chuncks...then to allow the Skins passing game to get people wide open all day because safeties and LBers have created gaps by taking false steps forward in attempt to stop the run. I say play the pass...and if he hands it off fine....Morris is not Adrian Peterson...he is not going to go the distance. If I am an interior DL...I am not even trying to penetrate. I am trying to make sure OL do not get to the 2nd level. Unless it is 3rd and long...DE and OLBs should be trying to bat down passes and stop screens. The offense is designed to make quick decisions....so taking off like a bat out of hell in attempt to get a sack is useless. The offense does not have traditional 7 step drops. It is run/pass option...play action...and screens/smoke screens. Try to make them drive the field and hold them to FGs. But giving up easy scores like we did on Thanksgiving is a death sentence. They scored 28 points in the 2nd quarter. That simply cannot happen!
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Besides roster personnel, I think the biggest theory that has been kicked to the curb is "draft a young QB to groom behind the veteran". Those days are gone, rookies start from day 1 and have success if you put a good team around them.
  8. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I don't disagree but I do think we will have to do enough in 1st down to keep Washington out of the 2nd 4, 3rd and 1 situation. If Washington can keep their down and distance in their favor it just opens up everything they want to do.

Frankly given the condition of the defense right now what I want to see is them make some key plays. I don't expect them to shut Washington down but if they can create a turnover or 2 win a few 3rd down battles then hopefully the offense can put some points on the skins.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,222 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Kapernick is not a rookie. He is in his second season, but the point remains the same that there are a bunch of young guys out there now.
  10. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,510 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    The one thing they all have in common though are amazing defenses. Not to take anything away from the QBs but it goes to show just how important Defense still is.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,222 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    The Colts and Redskins do not have amazing defenses.
  12. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,510 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    You're right. Wilson and Kap do though.
  13. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Reminds me of when everyone went to the 3-4.

The 3-4 is versatile but has it's weaknesses too. All schemes do. You try to mask them and hope someone makes a play in spite of the weakness.

This is why good coaching and the right players make it work.

I know a few years back I was looking at the Patriots draft thinking...why in the heck did they draft that kid ? They kept their defense solid and made moves. They made a few bad choices and switched it up to an offensive team...brought in some players and people really didn't get it...they fit the scheme.

It's not always about the best player, it's about building for the scheme that you run, or are changing to.
  14. RGIII

RGIII Member

35 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree with you on this. Today's NFL benefits the offense and is designed to have higher scoring games so people get more excited and pack the seats. I miss the days where a solid defense and power running game could get you to the promise land, even with a mediocre/average QB.

The other poster mentioned that we ran the same offense (variation) against Cleveland and I don't agree with that, there was no pistol formation cause Cousins cant pull that off lol. The offense we ran against the Browns was more of a traditional Shanahan style offense with tons of play action and bootlegs coupled with power running/stretch plays. Yes most of those plays were already in our offense, but it was greatly modified to fit Cousins.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,022 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    Don't be surprised to see Ryan play the flex a little here.
  16. bbailey423

4,786 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    I live in the DC area...listen to sportstalk980 everyday...after the Cleveland game...all the coaches and players said they only made slight modifications to compensate for the different skill sets between RG3 and Cousins. My point was....another rookie QB..making his NFL debut...went on the road against a pretty good defense...and dominated the Browns. And Cousins was not a top 10 talent...he was a 4th round pick. We had a 4th round pick here in McGee for 3 years. And he NEVER looked like he belonged in the NFL. So again, whatever Dallas is running asks a LOT of its QB..and it takes a special skill set to be succesful. And trust me...critics be dammed...Romo is a top 10 QB!
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    About 4 years ago I came on here and proposed we try the Pistol. I don't think one person thought it was a good idea.