1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Numbers Do Not Lie! Romo is Clutch!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,615 Messages
    663 Likes Received
  2. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,615 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    3-6 more yrs of excuses. Get ur popcorn ready.
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,849 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    1. Excuse A - Jerry Jones has ruined this team, we can't win with him as GM
    2. Excuse B - Tony Romo is a choker, we can't win with him as QB
    3. Excuse C - We can't expect Tony to win with his supporting casts

Just wanna make sure I am getting all of this down, I haven't heard any of it before in my 40+ years watching the Cowboys so I am really excited to hear more

4. Excuse D - If only we didn't have all of the injuries
    5. Excuse E - [Insert your favorite gripe here]
    6. Excuse F - Fredd can't take any more crying and excuses...we have not been better than other teams, thus, we are in a playoff drought
  4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,066 Messages
    726 Likes Received

Really? You never heard this said about Jerry Jones from 1996-2012?
  5. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,095 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received

I'm going with A.. and B.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Like I already showed you we had two teams that were capable of playoff contention in today's NFL.

Once we made the second round, the other we lost to the superbowl champs (who steamrolled everyone, including Brady).

The rest of his career he has been the only reason we've been remotely relevant. You cannot compete in the NFL if you are getting bottom third play from your pass defense - and the past three years we have been among the worst of the worst.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received

This is a pretty good point IMO. I agree with it a great deal. The problem with this is that the team has chosen to treat him and pay him as if he is a QB who can transcend these kinds of deficiencies and that's problematic because the dollars involved prevent the Cowboys from surrounding him with the kind of talent hey requires at this point in his career.
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    I'm not making excuses I'm simply stating that as it stands he needs a better team around him today.
  9. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,804 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone is making excuses, it's just poor circumstance.

Referring back to your original post, Romo needs to be surrounded with a certain level of talent to succeed. That's fine, all QBs need that. The question is, to what extent?

To a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer extent? All those guys pretty much had to do was stay out the way. At that point, why would we even need Romo? Why not just Orton for much, much less cap?

My fear is that Romo needs too much help at which point having Tony Romo and not Joe Blow?

With regard to the cap era, all other QBs have had to step up in big spots at some point to win a title. I hope Romo can do that, but so far he hasn't shown much of a penchant for doing so.
  10. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  11. CowboyFan74

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    He's clearly better than those two and obviously we don't have those supporting casts around the QB that those two did in Baltimore and Tampa. We just need the o-line to be above average and have some push in the trenches for a decent run game, especially in goal line situations. With a Top 10-15 defense (Or somewhat better) I believe we can go far in the postseason. Clearly O-line and injuries have been our biggest detractor the past couple of years and we are due for a stretch of health and a nice run, at that point Romo just needs to get control of turnovers..
  12. CowboyFan74

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    At this point our homegrown talent needs to rise to the occasion, Leary, Costa, and/or maybe Kowalski sooner than later...

Yeah that big contract is going to limit bringing in big name FA's and I believe Garrett is slowly stirring Jerry to rely less on vets and more on the draft and walkons...
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,236 Messages
    1,006 Likes Received
    You hear fans say that a lot but how much better a supporting cast does he need? He had a very good supporting cast around him in 07 you don't go 13-3 without having a talented "team." That team had 13 pro bowlers on it but you hear FANS claim Romo has never had any good teams around him. :rolleyes: Romo's had pro bowl receivers and a pro bowl TE around him throughout his career. He's had enough of a supporting cast around him to make him one of the most consistently productive QB's in the league and a $108 million man. From 07 to 09 the Cowboys were seen as one of the most talented teams in the league. Many were picking the Cowboys to go to the SB in 07 after reaching 12-1 that season.

Many were picking them to go to the SB entering the 08 season. The Cowboys were 11-5 in 09 having ended that season with back to back shutouts. The Cowboys were arguably the hottest team entering the playoffs in 09. The supporting cast certainly hasn't been perfect around Romo but it's been good enough to beat 3 teams during the regular season from 06 to 09 that went on to win the SB. If it's going to take a supporting cast like Aikman had around him from 92 to 95 for Romo to get it done it will never happen for him.

With Romo being 33 and the Cowboys having an unstable coaching situation he's unlikely to ever have a great team around him. Listening to fans here it's going to take a great team around Romo for him to succeed. You would think they're talking about Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer and that he needs to be carried. Eli didn't have great teams around him in 07 and 2011 he was forced to have to step up his game and make some big plays in some very critical situations to become a champion. He had to stop turning the ball over 24 times like he did in 07 during the regular season. It's going to be the same for Romo if he's ever going to get it done.

In this era QB's have to be able to carry their team on their shoulders in certain situations it's a passing league. Almost every big game comes down to QB's having to make plays. There were times where Flacco had to carry the Ravens during the playoffs and SB last season. You're saying Romo needs a better supporting cast to go deep in the playoffs but he's not doing what he needs to do when it's all on the line just to get the team into the playoffs. If he can eliminate the turnovers ala Eli and Flacco in elimination games the Cowboys would have a great chance to make the playoffs and maybe make some waves.

He had an opportunity to take the Cowboys on a game winning championship type drive with 3 minutes to play vs Wash last Dec and turned the ball over. This has been the issue with Romo his entire career. The excuses for him need to stop and FANS need to open their eyes and realize that he needs to step up his game when it's all on the line and stop turning the ball over or he may never even play in another playoff game again.
  14. KJJ

11,236 Messages
    1,006 Likes Received
    A lot of players need to rise to the occasion and that includes Romo. When you have an opportunity to win a do or die game with 3 minutes to play your QB can't turn the ball over in that situation. The Cowboys are never going to have a great team around Romo so when the team is in position to make the playoffs Romo can't afford to turn the ball over.

This team is not going to win make or break games especially on the road if Romo doesn't play his best football. The Cowboys aren't going to be blowing anyone out in these games they're all going to go down to the wire and Romo can't afford to make critical mistakes.
  15. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,066 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    There's a difference between having a talented supporting cast, and a talented supporting cast that actually rises to the occasion. That may sound like nitpicking but it makes the crucial difference in many wins and losses.
  16. KJJ

11,236 Messages
    1,006 Likes Received
    That goes back to having a QB who can rise to the occasion and has the ability to get the players around them to step up. You have to wonder if the players believe in Romo in crunch situations. It's important that a team believes in their QB when games are on the line it can impact how they perform.

Back in the 70's part of the reason the Cowboys had some great comebacks under Staubach is the players believed Roger could get it done no matter how bad the situation looked. Players stepped up around Staubach like Larry Cole who made a great 3rd down stop on John Riggins in the closing minutes of the last regular season game of Rogers career vs Wash in 79.

Part of what elevates a players performance is believing their QB can get it done. This is why Tebow had some success in Denver he got his team to step up around him.
  17. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received

Did you watch any games last year by chance?
  18. KJJ

11,236 Messages
    1,006 Likes Received
    If you have an issue with anything I said in that post then I should be asking you that question. I watch every game carefully. Cherry pick a comment where am I off base?
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,695 Messages
    1,784 Likes Received

OMG !

:rolleyes:
  20. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    I think most of our wins last year was because the team believed in Tony in the 4th quarter, am I wrong?