1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The offensive line excuse is getting old folks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,699 Messages
    1,313 Likes Received
    Tony Romo will always be under appreciated by some here...until he is gone. Then Jerry will again be relegated to finding a replacement and we will get another string of past their prime starters and poorly talented backups until he pulls the trigger in Quincy Carter 2.0...at which point they will finally understand how lucky Jerry got when Parcells and Payton found this guy.
  2. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,422 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    You said it's no way Garrett and Romo can adjust so I wanted to know why is jerry paying them then? Should they just forfeit the rest of the season since the O-Line is weak or work together to make the offense more productive?
  3. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    the coach calls the offense, its the coaches job to evaluate next weeks matchups, its the coaches job to make proper adjustments before & during the game to counter what the defense is doing. It is Romo's job to run the play as designed by the coaching staff. you say 5 step drop, that is designed, play in the pocket - that is designed/coached, you say Romo should be talking to the coaches about teams who are blitz happy- I say Why?? Are the coaches blind? Are they so ignorant as to what is happening on the field that they have to have the QB tell them what is going on? Why do we need coaches then, just let the QB run the team.

So if it is the coaches job to run the team and call the game as it is their job to do so, do you see those adjustments? Do you see an offense called to speed up the offense to make up for complete lack of blocking of speed rushing defense? Your answer is obviously NO. If you are making a case for lack of coaching on this team, then we may similar thinking but if you are trying to make a case that Romo needs to call his own game, then I would say with this team you would be stepping on a whole lot of toes and just cannot/will not happen.
  4. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    you act like there is actually a solution? there may not be. This line is THAT bad. I will agree and say that it "appears" to me that the coaching staff is not making the proper adjustments in the game planning to account for such poor oline play, but my point is what if this is the best this offense can be due to the poor oline play? Just sounds like you are trying to say that there is always a way to have a superbowl style offense on the field no matter how bad the oline is. If that is what you are trying to say, then you will find yourself disappointed no matter how many adjustments this team makes to hide that big a deficiency.
  5. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Again, hard to be productive when the offense has no space to operate. The OL is overmatched. Why do you think Murray has so many negative plays behind the line? C'mon man, the lack of ability on this line is making this offense extremely limited. When you "adjust" as you say it ends up with Tony forcing things and you get a lot of turnovers ala the game vs. the Bears. See how it works? One unit is not independent of the other.
  6. CowboysFanSince88

4,422 Messages
    174 Likes Received

Not calling plays but suggesting things to the coach that will benefit the team.
  7. CowboysFanSince88

4,422 Messages
    174 Likes Received

The Eagles have a weak line and managed to work around it so why can't we?
  8. Novacek84

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Yeah Vick isn't running for his life or anything. Andy Reid is so frustrated he wants to BENCH HIM.

I Give up, you win it's all Romo's fault. he has tons of time to make decisions, blah, blah, blah. If you can't see this mess for what it is you haven't watched enough football and I ain't changing your mind.
  9. CowboysFanSince88

4,422 Messages
    174 Likes Received

what do you mean Vick is not running for his life???????????????
  10. Novacek84

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Apparently you have no radar for sarcasm. OF COURSE HE'S RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE! Why? His OL sucks!! See the similarities??
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  12. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    To the OP...you know what I've seen? I've seen Romo go from undrafted to top 6-12 QB in the NFL depending on who you want to argue with. I've heard Romo say "I will do better" or "I'll stop making those mistakes" and he came out and held the ball higher with two hands while running and he threw 6 picks the rest of the year after having 4 against Detroit.

I see Romo backing up his words with his actions. When he says he's going to get better or fix something he usually does and fairly consistently. When does Jerry repay him with better quality up front? Because I've yet to hear Jerry say "we'll fix this" or "I'll do better drafting or picking free agents" in regards to the Oline when it stinks year after year. Romo friendly to me meant protecting him. Giving him time to "make the other players around him better." Romo friendly to Jerry meant surrounding him with flashy toys that he could talk about.

The Oline is not the only issue with the team, some other areas have been fixed and some others still need to be addressed. The coaches need to adjust the plan to the ability of the personnel given to them by the GM.
  13. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,520 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Lol:laugh2:
  14. CowboysFanSince88

4,422 Messages
    174 Likes Received

Just to let you know that the Weak O-Line of the eagles didn't stop Andy Reid from benching kevin Kolb in 2010. It was how he dealt with the defensive pressure that made Reid bench him. So using the O-line as a excuse as to why any QB is not performing is very weak IMO.

NO QB is going to go a whole game without defensive pressure. If that was the case then me or you could be the QB of the Cowboys.
  15. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Romo has been able to perform with a weak Oline. He's been doing it since he took over for Bledsoe. When is he going to get one that allows him to move up from 6-12 to 1-6 QBs in the league? His talent and choice to improve himself allows him to be in the 6-12 conversation.

And this isn't only about the QB being productive behind the line put in front of him. What about the run game? Where is the push that allows the runner to get to the second level? However, it's hard to even have a discussion about the run and Oline when we've only run it 79 times for the year.

I did not say that the Oline was the sole reason for the lack of production of this team. We are still looking for defensive line push and pressure, we're looking for a coach to commit to the run game even when behind in a game as well as other things. But you can't sit here and tell me that the Oline is not the most glaring weakness of this team right now.

I saw improvement the last game in regards to penalties. I'm willing to let the coaches show me they can coach up the other areas of this line in regards to pass protection and run push. But if they can't you have two directions to choose from. Is the GM not getting the right players or is the coaching staff not good enough to coach up the talent provided?
  16. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He had one we went 13-3 and then lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs best Oline we had. The oline we had against Seattle in his first playoff was solid but Tony was off that day that was far from being on the oline.
  17. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    That best o-line got absolutely shattered against the Vikings.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We lost to the Giants 13-3 year after having a lead in the first half

The Vikings one was when Wade was stupid enough to put Colombo back in over Free (Before Free started to suck) after being out with injury and he was not ready and that was the year they destroyed the Eagles three times that year. Think they where 10-6 are 11-5 They Beat teh Eagles in the Wild Card game and then got owned by the Vikes
  19. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,399 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Could I ask how do you know Romo isn't doing just that? I doubt there is a QB who ever played the game that did not suggest things to help his team...
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

I refuse to believe that Katy Perry won't go out with me.