1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The passing game and the vertical offense Part I

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    Actually I don't know. I don't know how horizontal Brown's offense was, how much he relied on his RBs in the passing game, or whether he used the short pass to supplement the run. My guess is it did not resemble the WCO that much.

Graham had three years out his six NFL years where he threw more INTs than TDs and only one year with a higher than 60% completion rate. His years in the AAFC were a little better but I'm not going to include them as the competition wasn't as good overall. His completion rate was in the 50s generally which was the norm then. He actually had a year where he threw for over 64% which is really incredible I think.

The Browns then averaged around 7+ yds a pass with one year 10+. In 6 years in the NFL he threw 1565 times averaging almost 22 passes per game. By contrast Romo throws about 25 a game for an average of around 8 per pass. Not a lot of difference there is it? So while I don't know how many passes were 20+ yds per game there's not a lot of difference in the averages. Graham still holds the NFL record for avg gain per reception at 9 which I find amazing (I think they might include his 4 years in the AAFC but I don't know).

Even with Brown as coach and basically the same team, after Graham retired in 1955 the Browns went 5-7 after so much success with Graham over the years.

That's a lot to say after saying I don't know. I will add that Walsh was a protege of Brown and while he has his own NFL tree he still belongs in Brown's tree. Unfortunately he and Brown didn't get along well and Brown did things to sabotage Walsh getting HCing jobs for awhile.

So Walsh took what he learned from Brown and mixed it in with the current state of offenses in the NFL then modified it to fit his own personnel giving us the WCO. Saying it is a variation of the vertical offense by no means distracts from the genius of it. Walsh knew what he had in Montana who was not as accurate as Graham but certainly as heady. He had a great QB to run that offense. Not going to say a lot more as I'd like to get into this in greater detail later.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    What we know as the WCO was born when Walsh's QB in Cinncinatti, Greg Cook, blew his arm out. He had been pretty much the prototype QB with a huge arm, but after the injury he was never the same. The backup was a smaller, mobile, weak-armed, but accurate guy, so Walsh modified the offense to the shorter, quicker routes we think of now.
  3. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well said.
    Garrett is not a good OC. He is just an OC who is very much still learning all aspects of the game. To see the first drive in the Eagles game where Dallas was averaging 4 YPC was a solid command of the offense. But then, senslessly, all of a sudden the design turns to America's "pass time" where the receivers run routes that the Eagles all know and cover. Romo starts getting killed and if you go watch the game again you will see that the Eagles had the routes completely covered. The route-trees are predictable but even worse, there was no playaction to even cause pause in the coverage. One big fallacy is that the O-line is being blamed for not giving Romo enough time.
    For what?
    For secondary routes? Tertiary?
    The primary routes have been a problem since Dom Capers destroyed Garrett 41-7. Unless there is a definite running game and play action, teams are going to cover as the Eagles did and tee off on Romo.

By the way, Garrett lost the Eagles game 23-17. He abandoned the run and the playaction and Dallas was stifled.

Chris Collinsworth pointed out in the Falcon game that the middle of the field was open and then later in the game pointed out the same. Garrett could not or would not adjust.
    He is not a good OC. Since that one exceptional year in 2007 when he was unknown in his tendencies, Dallas averages just over 2 offensive TDs a game. Do the math. Take the offensive TDs and divide by 16. Unless the defense is a the Steelers, the team needs more TDs and Garrett is too ineffective to scheme to make more TDs but then he strangely was promoted. I look at the Niners and Seahawks who have far less talent at their skill positions but consistently use the talent they have to mold their plays and define the success of their drives. Not seeing that in Garrett.
  4. jobberone

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    This topic is about the vertical offense not Jason Garrett. There are plenty of other threads trashing Jason. If you want to talk about just Jason's offense etc then either start your own thread or take those posts to a thread about Jason's offense. This goes for all threads on this site.

/mod hat off
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,816 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    More great stuff. I was born in Canton, Ohio living RIGHT next to the Hall of Fame so I've been exposed to all the Paul Brown legend. Its really a GREAT story, he had some ups and downs and seemed to have difficult personal relationships sometimes but was a great coach at every level. Surprised that someone hasnt mad a movie about him...I know NFL films has some stuff but like a really good one would be killer.

For that era Brown's, look at the roster and see how many guys are in the HOF and you are right about Graham. Brown begged Graham to stay "one more year" several times but that team folded when he left. That poor team has been cursed since Model ran Brown off.
  6. jobberone

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    Well the story on Walsh is a little more interesting than above. He played ball and coached at a small college with Madden. He got his first decent college job from Marv Levy. He coached with Davis who got his offense from Gillman. Eventually he then went to Cincinnati under Brown eventually becoming the QB coach. He was there 8 years until Brown retired. Later he landed in SF.

He coached Carter who didn't have a big arm so he threw short. I think that was the beginning of his WCO. IMO.

So he got a dose of Davis in the Gillman tree and Brown. And he did what any good coach does which is work with the strengths of his players. He was just smart enough to make lemonade out of lemons.
  7. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,044 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Muncie was a good back, but he was never considered the best back in football. He was never even counted among the elite group at the time which included Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, and Tony Dorsett.