1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Paula Deen controversy

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by MonsterD, Jan 19, 2012.

1. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Anyone follow this so far? She has had major backlash from the medical community first for not saying anything for three years, but especially for the turning a profit from it by pharmaceutical company.

I think she deserves any hate she gets now.

Link
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    She doesn't have the right to privacy? If I could make money off of being a diabetic I would. I say who cares. Let her make her money.
  3. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    The way the medical community and her peers even see it, she was being irresponsible by continuing without that disclosure. Even I am shocked that this many professionals abhor her now.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    lol, that is a controversy? Weight Watcher can't very well hire a Anorexic spokes person. Why wouldn't a pharmaceutical company selling a diabetes drug hire a diabetic spokes person? Sounds obvious to me.

As for her not disclosing the type 2 diabetes. That's because it would have destroyed her career. Better her being a spokes person for a diabetic drug than keep selling those books full of death recipes.

Hopefully she will stop doing that now that she has another gig.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Read it and can't find a reason to be upset. :laugh2:
  6. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So I guess now all of her peers now have to disclose any illness they have ever had. :rolleyes:
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Hey they are tasty, people who eat that type of food understand that a steady diet of that kind of food is unhealthy but occationally I like old fashion southern cooking. Yes high in fat but damn good eating. :laugh2:
  8. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I think there are celebrities that did not make the death recipes that had diabetes, aside from Wilford Brimley. It is because she promoted the unhealthy lifestyle that it is under scrutiny.
  9. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received

If they had emphysema and were promoting smoking, yeah they should disclose that. Otherwise no if she had emphysema and never smoked she would not need to disclose that being a chef.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    death recipe? I'm sorry but people have a choice of what they choose to eat or not. How others feel about this type of food is their own business and they can stay out of mine. She is a cook who features southern cooking if that type of food is not something you don't like then don't eat it.
  11. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    On the nosey
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,318 Messages
    4,650 Likes Received
    It's Paula Dean...like people should really give a crap about it. :laugh2:
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    That may be the way some people in the South eat but we grew up on a lot healthier food. I'm not saying we didn't eat fried pork chops once a week but we also ate a lot of beans and rice, fresh vegetables, chicken, etc...

So Paula may call what she makes Southern food but it doesn't represent what a lot of the cooking in the South is.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    The term "death recipe" refers to the path it can lead too. Paula now has diabetes. 4 million people a year die from diabetes related causes and is the 7th leading cause of death in the US.

Her books are books of death recipes like it or not. They can lead to diabetes and diabetes kills a lot of people.

You want to eat it eat it. You want to smoke, smoke. A cigarette is still a cancer stick even if you don't like to call it that because you're a smoker.

My wife doesn't like to talk about "serious issues" that could happen do to someone's actions. It scares her, but I on the other hand do not beat around the bush about it. You can't mask death when it comes and there is no point is ignoring it or how it can come.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    That is the way many do eat in the south I'm not saying all and what she is cooking is considered southern cooking. I'm not saying people should eat this all the time but it is people own choice.

Myself I enjoy many of the things she prepairs and have eaten it my whole live not in abundance but I still like to have it now and then.

I don't tell vegans what kind of veggies to eat I don't need them telling me what I will eat that is my choice and no one else has a say in it but me.
  16. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    and driving a car can lead to death. There are a lot of things that can lead to death. Eating this type of food is not going to kill you, now if you eat this kind of food every day then yes it can be bad for you. The key in life is moderation
  17. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    It is not about the people who decide to eat it, it is her and this situation she put herself into.

Link
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    By being a diabetic? I'm sorry it sounds like the snob group passing judgment on others. I get tired of it.
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    So what is the cry? Honesty in advertising or promotion? We have a better chance of passing gold bricks than that happening; all advertising contains a good measure of dishonesty and we're in no position anymore to complain about someone making a mint from being anything but completely honest. We've given it our blessings for years by remaining customers no matter who's selling what.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Of course they do, which is why they should be informed if their favorite chef has a chronic condition as a result of an unhealthy lifestyle that includes eating said recipes.

She withheld pertinent information and profited off of it.