1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Problem on Offense is our Playcalling and Predictability

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ConstantReboot, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,858 Messages
    7,580 Likes Received
    That SEA press is insanely good. We needed to be able to exploit the TE matchups to loosen them up and bide time for big plays up top, and we couldn't do it. Turns out, neither could Green Bay. That's a pretty good defense.
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, it's predictable. Second down. Next game. Guess what's going to happen. I bet you get it right.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,917 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    Green Bay was getting whipped in the first half but they adjusted in the second half because they have excellent coaching and players that don't quit. They're a much better football team than the Cowboys. Great teams are able to adjust and step up in situations like that while mediocre teams like the Cowboys fold under the pressure. That was a more jacked up Seattle team than the Cowboys faced. That team was breathing fire lucky the Cowboys didn't play them tonight.
  4. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Exactly my point. They adjusted. They didn't stick to the same gameplan. Thus the reason why Im upset at Garrett.

Our Oline is not the best. But its not the worst and I believe that Green Bay's oline, from that performance tonight, is just as bad.

However, the coaches adjusted so that the defense couldn't zero in on Rogers. They had him roll outside and use play action. They also ran the ball and threw the defense off guard. Basically, the defense didn't know what Green Bay was going to do thus it neutralized their passrush.

We still have problems on Oline and I know that. But to keep Romo sin the pocket and have plays that takes 5 seconds to develop is just plain stupid. There are things that Garrett can do but he doesn't.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,482 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received
    Got to agree with some, GB was getting hammered and made adjustments at half-time. They went to play-action, slants, option, whatever and it was working for the most part. I noticed that if Rodgers didn't hit a receiver within 2.5 secs, he rolled out to buy more time.

Romo does this as well, but he waits longer than that for the most part. We can question it until we are blue in the face, but Garrett would have not done what GB did at half-time. We would have kept doing the same basic 5 plays over and over, hoping for a break. GB still didn't look that great, but it was a 360 compared to the first half. Seattle has a really good defense, not great but solid.
  6. ConstantReboot

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    Romo does do that as well. But it seems they are trying to fit his style of play into the scheme, rather than allow him to use his mobility and his elusiveness.

This offense fits better for a dropback pocket passer rather than Romo. Which is why we aren't haven't the success that other teams have like New Orleans and Green Bay. If Romo was in a system like Green Bay, boy he will break some major records.
  7. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,917 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    The Packers are 2 seasons removed from being a SB winning team and one season removed from being 15-1. They're in a different class than the Cowboys. They got absolutely mauled in the first half vs Seattle but didn't quit. Had that been the Cowboys Romo probably would have been carted off and the game would have been over by halftime. The Cowboys don't have the coaching, the desire or the talent on the OL to withstand an onslaught like GB saw last night in that first half. Like I said the Seattle team I saw last night was breathing a lot more fire than the one the Cowboys saw. They were sky high after stomping the Cowboys and were out to make another statement on Monday Night.

Pete Carrol who's one of the most passionate, emotionally charged coaches in the league and had his team ready to explode. Their pass rush looked like the 85 Bears in that first half. Romo might have hit the deck a dozen times and lost several fumbles had he survived long enough. You can adjust all you want but if your OL is over matched and you don't have a qualified HC nothing will save you against a fired up team like that. I give Rodgers and the Packers a lot of credit for hanging in that first half it took a rob job to beat them in the end.
  8. ConstantReboot

3,028 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    I agree with most of what you said but I still think that coaching is really what separates this team apart more than anything else.

Take a look at the Green Bay offense. We are just as talented as they are. They went 15-1 last year. Well we went 13-3 just a few years back. We have Romo and they have Rogers. They also have a set of explosive receivers and so do we. But the difference is the coaching.

As you saw in the 1st half Rogers was getting killed. Their oline was giving up more sacks then we did vs. the Hawks.

However, the Packers adjusted during halftime. Went with a short game and started to run the ball. The also went with slants, play action, roll outs, etc. Basically, they did everything they could to protect Rogers and it worked.

What we did against the Seahawks was basically what we did in the first half. Even though we were trailing, we stuck with the same gameplan from the 1st half. We didn't adjust to take try to neutralize the passrush of the Seahawks and we looked flat.

Sure we have our Oline problems. But so did Green Bay and possibly worst. What they did is adjust to the defensive pressure by using slants, roll outs and play action. They also mixed their plays to make their attack less predictable. Remember, the announcers said "the thought of running the ball on 1st down is neutralizing the passrush." I couldn't agree more.

Thus my point is that yes we do have an oline issue. But so does many other teams like Green Bay and the Giants. Yet they don't make it an excuse for NOT putting up points and NOT winning.
  9. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Exactly this! Took the words right out of my mouth.

Our offense has become "dependant" on the big play because all Garrett chases is the big play. Every overhead shot during each game shows all of our receivers running down field, like way down field without the ball looking for a big pass play.

MEMO TO GARRETT: Get the ball into your playmakers hands, and let them make the play. Jason Witten is not the guy you want to catch a 4yd pass on 3rd and 8, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin or DeMarco Murray are. Let them catch the pass on the move and make a play. Running hitch routes right at the sticks on 3rd and 8 doesn't fool anyone. Green Bay makes a good living running the slant, and we've shown the ability in spurts to do the same. Stop forcing it down field and take what's there, and then when they least expect it, hit the Sluggo...
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say play-calling is the biggest problem, that's too subjective.

But I will say that the offense does suck. And Garrett being the offensive coordinator is responsible. Predictability, play-calling are only symptoms of the real problem--Garrett.
  11. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,069 Messages
    65 Likes Received

I don't know how many times this has been brought up here before, but predictability is not the problem. Everyone in the early 90s knew exactly what this team was going to do but just could not stop them. The major problem here is an offensive line that is worse than some college offensive lines.
  12. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Good old trick plays -spice it up and keep everyone guessing.:starspin
  13. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,678 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Playcalling predictability is overrated. In the 90s we were probably the most predictable team as far as playcalling goes in the NFL. Everyone knew it would be 22 left or 22 right or 22 up the middle once in a while play action to 88 or 84. Didn't matter much when you couldn't stop it. Fact is Witten drops a sure TD that puts the game away early in the 4th quarter. Romo has a bad fumble on a sure scoring drive that again puts the game away earlier. These mistakes are correctable and mistakes you tend to see early in the season. Witten rarely makes that type of drop ever.

Our o-line isn't great, there's issues in the middle right now. But it's still pretty young.
  14. GiveDezdaBall88

GiveDezdaBall88 Active Member

342 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    JG is the worst, for God's sake he iced on our own kicker. He runs the same plays all the time, he has no clue how to get Dez Bryant the ball except for that trash quick screen that never works.
  15. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    If you go back and watch the old 75 Cowboys, you will see how they kept people guessing. Now I'm not saying run trick plays all the time , just let it be part of the game plan. You watch that flea flicker or Newhouse throw that halfback pass and :laugh1: see the benifit.
  16. GiveDezdaBall88

GiveDezdaBall88 Active Member

342 Messages
    78 Likes Received
  17. NickZepp

2,678 Messages
    172 Likes Received
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Aikman>Romo, Smith>Murray, Irvin>all the Boys current WRs, 90s OL>>>>>current OL, Jimmy Johnson>Garrett...

On just about every level, the 90s Cowboys were infinitely better than the 2012 Cowboys. To compare them is ridiculous, because obviously predictable playcalling is less of an issue when you have multiple hall-of-famers on your unit.

It's foolish to say playcalling doesn't matter now (when the team is so inferior at multiple positions) simply because it worked decades ago when almost all our players were just better than their opposition. It's apples to oranges.

Predictability becomes a gigantic problem when you're playing Mackenzie Bernadeau, Ryan Cook, Doug Free every week and defenses can easily destroy anything that those guys try to do.

To stick to the philosophy of 'we'll do what we always do, because it SHOULD work' is absolutely ******** when that approach DOESN'T work. At some point, you need to examine your personnel, approach and philosophy and adapt to what you have--not what you used to have or what you want even though you don't have what you need.
  19. NickZepp

2,678 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    You are right the 90s teams were better. But that doesn't change my point. We have top NFL talent at all those positions. I didn't say that our team is better than the 90s team. DeMarco Murray has had big games against some really good defensive lines in his maybe 10 game career. And with the same or lesser talent on the line. Romo has had big games throughout his career with far worse talent on the line. So has Miles Austin. Bryant has still be extremely inconsistent in his career. Witten has been one of the top TEs in the league for a decade. We'll be fine in the long run as long as we keep improving the line.
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,407 Messages
    2,248 Likes Received
    The problem with last Sunday's game was the Bucs defensive linemen stopped the inside runs for losses and then when Dallas ran wide they knifed between linemen and caught the running back from behind.

Because we did try to run outside of the tackles.

While I agree Garrett is a fairly predictable culprit in this tale, the results of the Bucs game came in the form of linemen that couldn't block sunshine with a parasol.