1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Proof Is In The Pudding: There Never Was Any Stripping of PlayCalling!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    All the mediot hype of Garrett's emasculation is, as usual. just another mediot created fantasy.

IRVING, Texas – Twenty years ago, the most asked question around The Ranch was this:
    Who is going to make the play? That inspired by Jimmy Johnson.
    These days the most asked question is this:
    Who is going to call the play? That inspired by the hesitancy of Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, along with owner and general manager Jerry Jones, to definitively say so.
    Right?
    Oh, how the high and mighty out there are crying because they did not get a straight answer this week when Garrett, along with his coaching staff the next day, were made available to the media out here at The Ranch. How they are assuming Garrett has lost control of this team – that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. That he’s confused. That he’s indecisive. That’s he’s … insert derogatory adjective of your choice.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...e-Matter/22d39667-9fb3-4fd3-a69e-7f03ddbef10f
  2. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,543 Messages
    819 Likes Received
  3. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Wow, to think I trusted all these Dallas newspaper guys and their tweets. This transcript is nothing like I heard that day or in any other story since about Jason and play calling. I can only trust Mickey.... Yikes
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I'll bet.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,147 Messages
    4,338 Likes Received
    Somewhere Bill Parcells is laughing.
  6. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    To me it sounds like Jerry was throwing around his weight telling people how he wanted it (an OC and a "walk around" head coach) in January but since then Garrett has fought Jerry and gotten him to moderate some.

Garrett isn't going down quietly it seems.
  7. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Well, this whole thing stinks. I don't like all of this back and forth stuff between Garrett and Jones. I don't like how we don't know who is going to be the offensive coordinator. It is a joke. It's one thing if we want to keep our rivals off balance with this is nonsense. It is clear that there is disagreement between Jones and Garrett.

I won't be and I am sure that other Cowboys fans won't be satisfied with Garrett calling the plays. I'm sorry, but we need a change. I am sick of how this offense is called, it's a joke. We pass way too much and there is no balance at all.

Other teams in the NFL are being much more successful with a lesser talent at the QB position. I'm sorry, but when Flacco wins a SB as a starting QB, it really irks the heck out of me. I'm tired of watching guys like Eli and average Joe winning and our QB is left being wasted.
  8. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    How do you know there is disagreement between Jason and Jerry?

If you look at what both have said there is no reason to think this. If you listen to what others say about a scenario they have imagined it might be possible to fantasize about it, but what other than mere fantasy speculation would indicate there is a problem?

If you listen to Jason there is no hint of a problem whatsoever.

Same with Jerry.

Same with Callahan.

G. Stretch Smith even explained how things work to a couple of imagination driven fantasizers yesterday on GAC.

So, once again, how do YOU know there is a problem/disagreement? Please enlighten us with something of substance.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    maybe because some of us do not believe much that comes from so called official sources
  10. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,502 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    put this is perspective. Mickey is Jerry biggest mouth piece and paid by jerry Jones. I have no doubt that Jerry realized he needs to rebuild Jason persona after comments at Senior Bowl. Expect this damage control to be in full force until start of camp.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    So, you've made a conscious choice to believe a purely speculative phantasmic hallucination rather than objectively look at the facts and think for yourself?

Ok, I get it.
  12. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    No, I don't know if there is a problem or disagreement and I can only go by what I hear. But, you didn't think that Garrett seemed a bit uncomfortable about answering questions the recent press conference?

Just as much as they say there are no leaders on this team. I think that is a topic that gets way overblown. Unless you are in practice, in the huddle, locker room, no outside person knows. If anyone has any remote football experience, you would know this.

But, what I said after the fact are my feelings about this offense under his command, period. Tell me you are happy with the direction of this offense? All I'm saying is that I will be highly disappointed if Garrett continues to call the plays and runs this very same offense next year. I am ready for some tweaks. But in the end I also know I can't change a damn thing about it....

But I'm sick of seeing QB's of lesser talent at the end of the SB, getting an MVP, hoisting the Lombardi when it could be Romo and the Dallas Cowboys.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    Or its all a mediot created imaginative story that has zero substance so the latest spin is the Cowboys are in "damage control" now because the facts just dont fit the yarn that has been spun about the stripping of play calling.

I mean, why consider facts, when you can continue the fantasy?

The mediots should be writing novels rather than masquerading as journalists!
  14. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,444 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Well, if you go in already expecting to not believe official sources, then your mind is already made up as to what happened. There's nothing that can be said that you would believe. You have decided and anything that does not align with your belief is simply lying. So whats the point?

Personally, I'm not sure what to believe since I have a fair share of skepticism of the so called "official sources" as well. The problem is that the unoffical sources (for lack of a better term) are mostly hack and sensationalists looking for a juicy story. I've seen people (Werder or Watkins et al) throw out garbage just to enflame.

I have to think that the truth of the matter is somewhere in between. First and foremost many seem to forget the Callahan has been our OC for a while now, so the idea of changing the playbook is not relevant. It's just a matter of game time play calling. He's already had a hand in installing the offense and setting up a script for each game.

Maybe Jerry pushed for a play calling change, maybe Garrett pushed back. Maybe it's true when they said that Callahan DID sometimes call plays for a series here and there, maybe it's not. Maybe Callahan had 3 plays ready each time and Garrett chose one or went with one of his own, or maybe Garrett kept it all to himself.

We don't know what happened last year, but in 2013 it looks as though Callahan will have more of a say during games. PErsonally, I think thats an improvement. If we can go from Callahan bringing up choices to Garrett > Garrett choosing and passing on to Romo to Going from Callahan to Romo, then at the very least, we'll get the snap off before :01 more often :)
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Exactly.

And to WPB... You really believe that Jason fired his brother on his own? And before you cite what Jason said that it was some kind of career advancement, remember that he took a demotion to go to Tampa and you can bet a cut in pay as well.

For that matter, why would we even be discussing any changes at all right now if Jerry weren't pushing for it? Jason sat there and told us how wonderful our offense was, and he put himself right there with Payton and McCarthy as a head coach/playcaller. Never mind that the facts do not support that whatsoever. I guess you believe him on that, too?

What I don't understand is why this upsets you so much. Yes, Jerry is the one making these changes. I for one and glad that he is.
  16. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    I think the offense lacked something. At times it was pretty potent. At times it was pretty vanilla and impotent. And I would say it appears in many ways that Red doesnt seem to be all that great at mixing things up and keeping the opposing D off balance. Is it Red, or is it the OL issues? Or something else?

Like most, I would like to see some changes on offense. If nothing else, getting the running game going is essential.

I didnt really get the impression that Garrett was uncomfortable at his PC. What I heard was a guy speak who sounded like he was confident about the choices HE has made this off season. He sounded like HE knew why HE wanted to make the changes. He sounded like a guy that knew what he was talking about. He answered the questions even tho the mediots say otherwise. He just didnt answer them the way they wanted him to. So in essence he didnt play their game. All of the mediot spin for weeks has been about him being stripped of play calling and Jerry is in charge making all the moves. Jason basically didnt give that stuff any more attention than one would give to a mere mosquito. Why would acknowledge such nonsense as if it even has a hint of credibility?

Once again, if you look at what is said by those who are part of whats happening rather than the mediot speculative fantasizers, the mediot fantasy is exposed for being what is.

There is no chaos at VR. No puppets. No soap opera. But there is a 8-8 football team that needs to get better. And it sounds to me like the staff is working on that in a functional way and as a fan I hope we get the desired results!
  17. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,543 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    Thank Heavens in a few weeks the Easter Bunny will be here with all kinds of candy and stuff.

Really, Micky said so.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    Im all for changes if it improves things.

But, where did this story of Jason firing his brother come from? You actually believe that was the case? If you just sit back and think about it, it makes no sense from any perspective.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    You're right, it doesn't make sense that Jason did it. So it was someone else who kicked him out, right?

Or are you saying he willingly left for a lesser position?
  20. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,387 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Someone explain how going from TE coach to WR coach is a demotion?

At worst it is a parallel move. And if your goal is to advance to say OC the more facets of offence you have coached the better.

Funny how snippets of quotes by known exaggerators is taken as truth but accurate transcripts of the full quote is spin control.