1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Sporting News Draft Dish: Risers & Fallers at N.F.L.P.A. Game Practices.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 2, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...as-vs-the-nation-players-deal-with-conditions

Draft Dish: Texas vs. The Nation players deal with conditions
    SN Icon Sporting News .SAN ANTONIO — Preparation for Saturday’s Texas vs. The Nation game began Tuesday with a morning weigh-in followed by two practices in the afternoon. The practices were held in cold and windy conditions, making it tough for the skill position players to shine. Making matters worse for receivers, the quarterbacks here all are below par. A quick look at which players caught scouts’ eyes:

Isa Abdul-El Quddus, S, Fordham. He displayed very good athleticism and was very fluid and smooth with quick feet. He showed good instincts to come up quickly in run support and good awareness in pass coverage. He was always around the ball and broke up several passes.

[IMG]
    Ole Miss nose tackle Jerrell Powe helps himself with a strong day of practice Tuesday. (AP Photo)
    GOOD IMPRESSIONS
    Ray Dominguez, OT/G, Arkansas. Dominguez did a good job, mostly lining up at guard. He showed flexibility and pass-blocked with a good base, using his hands well to jolt and tie up the defensive tackle in pass protection. He also did a good job of maintaining his block. He was consistently quick out of his stance and was able to lock onto his man and eliminate him from the play.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...on-players-deal-with-conditions#ixzz1CoLPdcT9
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I think Powe may be a good option at NT if Dallas is considering one. He should be drafted later than Taylor but would be a good pick in the 3rd.
  3. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    Powe is not the sharpest blade in the drawer, and I would wonder about his ability to learn the playbook.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,758 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    As a NT, there's not a whole lot to learn, I would think.
  5. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, if Patrick Peterson doesn't fall to us with Pick #9, I'd rather Jerrah drop down in the first round if he can find a trading partner for an extra 3d Rd pick.

I'd be okay with one of these studs in Rd 2 (pick #40):

Kendrick Ellis (6'5" 340lbs) in 2nd Rd
    Phil Taylor (6'4"337lbs) in 2nd Rd

Or, with the first of our two Rd 3 picks:

Jerrell Powe (6'2" 320lbs) in 3rd Rd
    Jarvis Jenkins (6'4" 309lbs) in 3rd Rd

I, personally, would rather one the bigger, mammoth-size NT's like Ellis or Taylor. This would allow Ratliff to bump down to DE and enable current backup NT Josh-Brent and Ellis or Taylor to rotate-in at NT every game to keep fresh and really add some defensive presence on 3rd downs and/or on goal-line defense when most of the bigger OL's score easily or make the first down by running on our current 'puny-sized' defensive line.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Powe is as dumb as a sack of bricks , but I agree with you. I really don`t think NT has much to learn in the playbook. I live in Mississippi and have kept up with Powe since high school. He had trouble getting in college due to his grades. He is good at taking on double-teams and will not get blown off the ball. He is dumb, very dumb , but has played the NT position very well. He was considered a first round pick before the season started. The only reason he dropped, was due to him starting slow in the first couple of games. He may be available in the top of the 3rd.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,421 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    That guy look 40 years old!
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Powe has lost weight to get to 320lbs. He had played in the 330-340lb range until this season. I think the weight loss actually hurt him early in the season and he didn`t seem to play as well. I think he would play better at 330lbs or more.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,758 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    Ellis strikes me more as a DE as the days pass. I've been a fan of his for quite some time so that's not a knock, I actually think he'd be a very good DE in the 3-4.

I think at NT you want a guy that's a bit shorter and can get under guys pads easier to hold the point.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,421 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Yep.
    See Raji, BJ.