1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Strangeness of This Life Cannot Be Measured

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Picksix, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    From Dances with Wolves, one of my favorite all time movies.

I don't mean for this to be yet another thread of rueage. What's done is done, and what's lost is lost. It's more just meant to be a post about how strangely things can work out, or could have worked out, and how things don't always follow typical trends of thinking.

It's week 7 of the 2008 season. We've just lost Romo to injury after losing a tough one at Arizona. In response, Jerry gives up two high draft picks and a huge contract for Roy Williams, a guy who fit the "prototypical WR" mode - big, fast (at times), great red zone threat (to that point), first round draft pick, etc. Imagine Jerry not making this deal, and instead promting a 5'10" UDFA WR from the PS. Yes, I'm talking about Amendola.

Imagine how differently things might have turned out. We keep our 2009 1st pick, and the other 3rd round pick, and in the process. We also have a WR who's turned out to be pretty darn good (when healthy). Now, who knows how things would have gone. Maybe those extra picks don't pan out. Maybe we spend that extra cash we saved from not paying RW on players that don't live up to their contracts. Maybe we're better, maybe worse, maybe the same.

Sure, we'll never know, and it's pointless to dwell on what might have been. But who would have thought, that promoting a guy like Amendola, could have been an infinitely better move, than trading for a guy like RW? Just funny how unexpectedly things can work out sometimes.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    Hindsight is...well, you know the rest. And, you cannot predict the future. So, where does that leave us?
  3. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Man, playing this game could get very depressing. The "what ifs" would have me running for some prozac.

What if in the 2000 draft we didnt take Mario Edwards in the 6th round and took this dude instead.
    [IMG]
  4. Picksix

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    It leaves us right where we are. Every team falls victim to hindsight things like this, and again, I'm not bagging on the Cowboys, or beating a dead horse about what we "should" have done. It's just, when people talk about what makes often makes a great player (or coach), sometimes that thinking is just off.
  5. Picksix

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Sorry for sounding negative. It's not like all the moves they've made have been bad. There have also been plenty of times where things like this have worked out well for the Boys, where someone who didn't quite fit the mold ended up being great. Like Romo.
  6. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Oh there is no doubt we have had a bit of good fortune when picking up players. Though Romo has many haters he was a absolute find. Even though Miles may not be worth what we are paying, he was a nice find too.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,954 Messages
    4,037 Likes Received
    we could have had clay matthews with that roy williams pick.