1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Ten Worst U.S. Cities For Traffic Congestion

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Doomsday101, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    According to the TTI, traffic in Washington D.C. is the worst, with each commuter losing an average of 67 hours per year in traffic. Los Angeles and San Francisco are tied for second place, with each municipality taking 61 hours annually from its commuters.

In fourth place is Newark, New Jersey, lumped into one miserable bundle with New York, New York. Drivers here can expect to waste 59 hours sucking down exhaust fumes each year, which is quite a bit worse than fifth-place Boston (with a mere 53 hours annually).

To the surprise of no one living in Houston, the Texas city is next on the list, with 52 hours of wasted time yearly (which is also the national average for very large cities). Atlanta and Chicago tie for seventh place (with 51 hours each), while Philadelphia and Seattle split the final spot, taking only 48 hours from commuters annually.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...fic-congestion/?intcmp=features#ixzz2Ldx2TEEC
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    The dark side of living in the suburbs. There are benefits too, of course. But hate the commuting, so don't so it.

I live in Dallas' Lakewood area.
    In a green neighborhood with big trees everywhere, kids riding their bikes, neighbors that know each other and are involved, with a lake a few blocks away that has jogging trails and bike paths all around it, where we can walk to many restaurants or to get groceries....
    and my downtown "commute" is 10 minutes door to door.

Spoiled is an understatement.
  3. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    I live in Houston and work downtown but really have no problems getting to and from work. It takes me 20 to 30 min either way. No doubt there are some freeways in Houston that are horrible but I find different ways to get around it.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Yeah, you gotta know the detours. There's not much of a detour for me now when I go to the office since it's all beltway and getting off doesn't take off much time.

But when I worked downtown, I had several routes I could take to get to work on time. As soon as I would see an accident on my preferred route, I immediately took a detour.
  5. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    same here. I check transtar on my pc and if the freeway is messed up I take Memorial drive all the way into downtown.

With the rodeo in town and all the trial riders at the park I may skip memorial today.
  6. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I'm really surprised to not see Austin on this list. Austin traffic is horrible.
  7. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

854 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    DC is an awful commute indeed. So glad I don't have to go in that direction anymore. Would often have to give 2 hours from what should have been a 30-40 minute commute...
  8. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

854 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    DC is an awful commute indeed. So glad I don't have to go in that direction anymore. Would often have to give 2 hours from what should have been a 30-40 minute commute...

I think what compounds the commute is that you have a heavy number of residents who work for the federal government driving in from both north (Maryland) and south (Virginia) simultaneously...and a beltway that is way too small to handle the volume of traffic coming in at rush hour.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,270 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I definitely do not miss the traffic from all my years spent in both Atlanta and Houston. Miserable, both of them.

I see that we in DC are at the top of the list and I can believe that, but I boggle at anyone who actually would drive here, not when the Metro is so readily available.
  10. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

854 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    I think the trouble is that you have some people commuting from well outside the area which Metro serves, at least right now, and rather than drive to the nearest Metro they choose to make the schlep directly to work.

I also think the HOV lanes are underutilized, and wind up making the traffic far worse than it should be. With gas prices going up though, hopefully that starts to change.

The truth is though, Metro fare is often not low enough to encourage many from the burbs to drive there, park, and pay for both parking and Metro fare. Versus a city like New York where a one way ticket costs 2.50 regardless of how far you need to take the train. "Peak of the peak" Metro cost isn't cheap, unless you can get your employer to pick up the cost.
  11. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The large amounts of tourists, especially foreign, really adds to the traffic problems of DC, add in inbound/outbound changes that screw with a GPS and the frequent closures for "official" reasons and it's a nightmare.

Trying to take shortcuts isn't easy either as one wrong turn can put you in some places that aren't safe.

Houston is scarier though as everyone wants to go 90 and you can't see in front of you because every other vehicle is a Suburban or dual-wheel pickup. I think tailgating is considered the true national pastime in that area also.
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,395 Likes Received
    Hyperbole... I drive a Honda and I don't go over 80 in the city limits. :p:
  13. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    Houston being the 4th largest city in the US so it does not come as a shock that traffic can be bad however I have lived here for over 40 years and if you know how to get around in the city the traffic is not that big of an issue. There are always alternative ways to get from 1 point to the other.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,624 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    Austin traffic is nothing compared to Houston and Dallas.
  15. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,454 Likes Received
    I agree. Austin is a sunday drive compared to Houston and Dallas, except when the UT football game let out. :D
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Worst place I was ever at was Boston.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,388 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    Everyone should drive "The Beltway" in Washington just once during rush hour to really get a glimpse of how bad traffic can. It's stunning quite frankly.

I learned my lesson really quick when my daughter was living in Alexandria and we had to go around DC to get to her location.

The other "gem" in DC driving is that many of the roads change orientation from AM to PM or during specific days. For example on the weekend a street may be two-way but during the week it's one-way.
  18. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,173 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Having lived in Houston, SF and LA, the worst is LA by a mile. There are other routes to get around in Houston which makes it fair. SF is kind of land-locked with two bridges goin in or out but several shortcuts to move within the city. Their main prob is the 101 and I80.

LA is just plain horrid whichever road your on.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,388 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    I remember as a kid watching the late 60's version of "Dragnet" and "One Adam 12" and thinking whenever they showed a highway shot 'Wow! That's a lot of cars!' and it's gotten a whole lot worse.
  20. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    LA is bad, but the good thing about LA is many of their main streets can take you through all of LA and are very close to each other. Unlike other cities where it is spread out by a few miles or change directions.